• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I am an idiot and need your help

I would try using some wd40, or any other type of penetrating oil, from both ends. Let it soak in for a few minutes then, using a wooden dowel, gently tap with a rubber mallet from the opposite end of the barrel that the patch got stuck from. This used to happen to me when cleaning my old bolt action 22.

What if you used liquid plumber? Would that hurt the metal?
I think propane torch or boiling water is the way to go.

Liquid Plumber is chlorine bleach. The two part version is something else, but patches are typically not cotton, but a synthetic fiber. I doubt anything available over the counter is that strong to go through synthetic.

Seriously, though, you could try taking the furniture off and playing a torch against the barrel right where the blockage is. The idea would be to char/brittlify the patch with heat through the barrel. Might even make it shoot straighter.

Hmmm. Would an easy out work?

The cleaning rod is in there, too, right?

Tack weld a slide hammer to the rod and try to pull it out?

ITs like a half inch in from the breach end. But with the shape of the mosin I cant reach it with anything to grab it and pull it out. I tried banging it from the muzzle end back into the breach. I just might need something harder than the cleaning rod to do it. the cable is no longer attached outside of the barrel and im sure whats left inside its smashed from banging it, and the cable is probably making it stuck worse.

The first thing I'd do is buy a brass rod just small enough to fit in probably 1/4 inch is the closest you will find. If not get a wooden dowel and use it with a hammer. You will need to secure the rifle so it cant move otherwise you will be loosing a lot of the force you are going to need to move it. Give it some short whacks without trying to smash it. A dowel will begin to break so I would go for a brass rod first.
If you need to get a flame in there hold the source away from the breach. It's going to be difficult to get a flame that close to the barrel breach because of the receiver.

Ok UPDATE:

Here is what worked, I bought some Wd-40 and a 4 foot piece of 1/4 steel rod. I cut the rod just long enough so that about 3 inches was sticking out of the barrel. I saved the other piece as I knew I would need it later. I lubed both sides of the barrel with the wd-40 then inserted the rod. Holding the rifle muzzle down, I then proceeded to slam the rod on the floor forcing the rod into the barrel flush. This broke loose the patch and cleaning rod, enough so I could almost grab it with pliers. I then locked the whole riffle in a padded vise, used the spare piece of rod now cut to about 6 inches to lightly tap the rest of the steel rod out enough into the breach to remove the obstruction. Then all was left was to free up the steel rod and I was good to go. I have since re-cleaned the entire bore, chamber etc... and it appears there is no damage.

As you can see I think my downfall was having to use two pieces of the Otis Kit as no one piece buy itself is long enough. The shorter pistol cable is now trashed but thats not a huge deal as I have other things. From now on its bore snakes for me.

dude and i thought i was rough with my mosin! you're a real WWII rifle sadist. glad you got it sorted. rest easy knowing that most likely the worst you beat on the gun--it's only half (at best) as bad as it was beaten in the past.

Cut the barrel. Now you have a obrez.

FIFY.

dude and i thought i was rough with my mosin! you're a real WWII rifle sadist. glad you got it sorted. rest easy knowing that most likely the worst you beat on the gun--it's only half (at best) as bad as it was beaten in the past.

FIFY.

Trust me, this did not make me happy, kept me up till almost 2am thinking how I could get it out without damaging it etc... I dont care that its cheap money so to speak or that they are beat etc... I like to try to take care of my stuff. I clean all my guns after every range trip etc.. IM super anal about it. This killed me.

PS hope youre doing better. Tattoo is really cool.

If not a brass rod, don't forget aluminum.

I know the sears hardware near me sells lots of different size brass rods (check local welding or metal supply warehouses) too.

Glad to see you got it out.

Ok UPDATE:

Here is what worked, I bought some Wd-40 and a 4 foot piece of 1/4 steel rod. I cut the rod just long enough so that about 3 inches was sticking out of the barrel. I saved the other piece as I knew I would need it later. I lubed both sides of the barrel with the wd-40 then inserted the rod. Holding the rifle muzzle down, I then proceeded to slam the rod on the floor forcing the rod into the barrel flush. This broke loose the patch and cleaning rod, enough so I could almost grab it with pliers. I then locked the whole riffle in a padded vise, used the spare piece of rod now cut to about 6 inches to lightly tap the rest of the steel rod out enough into the breach to remove the obstruction. Then all was left was to free up the steel rod and I was good to go. I have since re-cleaned the entire bore, chamber etc... and it appears there is no damage.

As you can see I think my downfall was having to use two pieces of the Otis Kit as no one piece buy itself is long enough. The shorter pistol cable is now trashed but thats not a huge deal as I have other things. From now on its bore snakes for me.

The pistol cable looks like it may have been acting as a spring and fighting your efforts... [laugh]

Use 100% cotton patches in the future. They compress and fall apart more easily. Those patches you had there are synthetic fiber and don't compress at all. That can have it's usefulness, but it's a limited usefulness.

Trust me, this did not make me happy, kept me up till almost 2am thinking how I could get it out without damaging it etc... I dont care that its cheap money so to speak or that they are beat etc... I like to try to take care of my stuff. I clean all my guns after every range trip etc.. IM super anal about it. This killed me.

PS hope youre doing better. Tattoo is really cool.

thanks dude. i'm doing alright, tattoo is healing good as well, too. it's almost healed, it's at the point where you REALLY want to mess with it but have to exercise self-control and NOT mess with it.

come shoot your mosin out my way, i never shoot mine because i hate cleaning guns but with a buddy i might have motivation.

easy:

step 1: remove bolt
step 2: insert cleaning rod
step 3: hit the cleaning rod with a hammer.

I can get .54Cal balls out of muskets using a cleaning rod, screw, some pliers and a hammer. If that can be done, I am sure that some cleaning patches can be easily removed from a barrel that can be accessed both ways.

Lesson learned:

Russian gun don't need to be cleaned very often, and when they do a spray bottle with some Windex is more than enough. Thats what my Mosin gets and I have no rust.

I still didnt clean my SKS I used at the Porsche shoot. And i put 400 more rounds through it. I am still hitting small water bottles at 100 yards.

Last edited:
You could have waited until the next gun buy-back and traded it for a $25 Target gift card.

Sent from behind enemy lines using Tapatalk.

thanks dude. i'm doing alright, tattoo is healing good as well, too. it's almost healed, it's at the point where you REALLY want to mess with it but have to exercise self-control and NOT mess with it.

come shoot your mosin out my way, i never shoot mine because i hate cleaning guns but with a buddy i might have motivation.
Must resist the urge to scratch, that's the worst stage. I don't mind cleaning it I use a lot of windex first then dry it then, some cleanzoil. I actually kind of enjoy it.
With everything that's gone on the past couple of weeks I didn't want to bother you, but we can hit shoot any time the suns out.

i don't windex it just because the smell of a lot of cleaning chemicals aggrivates my head so i shy away from them. i use the break free expanding bore foam... fills up everything and the rifle then barfs it out the barrel. i let it sit in the bathroom and vomit into the sink much like a friend that's had too much vodka. works quite well, i haven't noticed any rust or anything in the past three, actually, i think it's closer to four now years.

dude shoot me a PM. i need to stay busy, if i stay busy and do positive things i find that my overall mood is waaaaay up - here instead of _ down there. i also just got appointed as the chairman of the rifle/pistol section of my club. i'll host you, we can shoot, maybe you can join if the drive isn't too bad and as of now i'm a chairman of a committee without members, so yeah... looking for people. [laugh]

Now throw that steel rod away. Home Depot sells brass rods (go to the hardware section where the metal is) and I believe you can find them in most Ace stores too. Steel will damage the rifling. Brass not so much and it's hard enough to hit.

Glad you didn't try the torch route, I hate to think of people changing their barrel's properties with something like that.

I can't see how burning the patch with a torch would be any worse than firing the rifle, especially since it was at the chamber end. Now that I see what he was using, it would have made a mess though. That plastic coating on the cable would have melted and really created a problem. He said it was right at the edge of the chamber.

If I had to use the torch it would have been to quickly hit the patch, im sure it would have burnt off quick. Regualr lighter just didnt have enough 02 to stay lit. Had I over done it with the torch that cable would have left a completely gooy disaster in my barrel for sure.

I can't see how burning the patch with a torch would be any worse than firing the rifle, especially since it was at the chamber end. Now that I see what he was using, it would have made a mess though. That plastic coating on the cable would have melted and really created a problem. He said it was right at the edge of the chamber.

Back
Top Bottom