• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I am announcing the passing of someone on this forum.

Apple used to require a court order including specific documents including the death certificate., proof that you are lawfully a
personal representative/executor or heir, family, etc. I don’t know if this policy has changed. The apple access is an encrypted passcode lock. Apple said they cannot remove/reset the passcode without erasing the content on the device. This was told to me about 6 years by apple support, maybe there’s a work around now. 🤷‍♀️ (You would also need to know the Apple ID)
I know nothing regarding other devices.
Thank you. It is an I-phone, so it might not even be worth trying.

Thank you. It is an I-phone, so it might not even be worth trying.
I'm not a fan of Apple anything, but it seems that they do make life extemely difficult. You should still contact their tech support and ask what is required. If they tell you that you'll need a form with a wax seal from the president of the US, you'll know not to bother . . . but perhaps they have changed to some more reasonable rules. Good luck!

So sorry to hear this. Condolences on your loss.

We have his phone, but it is locked & password protected. No one knew the password. We found a list of random passwords in his wallet, but none of them opened his phone.

I'm not a fan of Apple anything, but it seems that they do make life extemely difficult. You should still contact their tech support and ask what is required. If they tell you that you'll need a form with a wax seal from the president of the US, you'll know not to bother . . . but perhaps they have changed to some more reasonable rules. Good luck!

I have Mom and Dad’s iPhones. I didn’t bother to recover them. Too many hoops.

It makes some sense to use a password manager and to have someone else have emergency access to it. FWIW, I use LastPass. It has a feature that allows an authorized user to access your password list after a set amount of time, with notice to you when they request the access clock to start.

My daughter can access my password list, which has everything including my cellphone key. It will give me 3 hours notice (settable from immediately to a week) once she asks for access before letting her in. I do need to remind her annually to make sure she remembers HER password to ask for access. If something happens to me, she can access all of my wife's and my financial and other accounts to give my wife whatever assistance she needs.

I am truly sorry for your loss and hope you and your family are getting through it as best you can.
He was way to young and it must hurt that he is gone. I hope you find strength in fond memories and take comfort in the knowledge that he will always be with you.
Prayers sent.

I don't know my dad's user name. But Craig Canales participated in discussions on this group. He passed away suddenly on October 15th. I couldn't remember the name of the forum he used until now. But I know he made friends with some of you, so you probably know him his name. I just thought you should know. He enjoyed this forum very much.

I am always very envious of people that have a close relationship with their Dad.

My condolences on your loss. I hope you have good memories of a kind, caring respected mentor, best friend, teacher, and an example of someone that lived the way he talked.

Back
Top Bottom