• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I can never leave anything alone......1911 Mods

cmacclel

NES Member
I just picked up a STI 9mm Ranger II less than a week ago and the brain starting working......what can I do....Hmm. Next thing I knew a Bob Tail Jig and Ed Brown Bob main spring housing was ordered from Brownells. Last night I figured I'd see how the Jig worked and a couple hours later it was finished :) I then added some front matching serrations to the slide. The slide top was already milled flat from STI but I though it looked a little plain so I added some scallops. I'm currently waiting for an order of cerakote so I just hit it with some black spraypaint to see how the machining looked coated......it look well.

P1060183-vi.jpg

P1060189-vi.jpg

P1060194-vi.jpg

Gets more awesome looking every time I come back. How'd you make the scallops? Is your x-y table motorized/computer controlled?

Gets more awesome looking every time I come back. How'd you make the scallops? Is your x-y table motorized/computer controlled?

I have a CNC lathe & Mill but this was all done by hand on my mid size manual mill. The slide was mounted at a 30 degree angle in the vise jaws. A 3/4 inch endmill performed a plunge cut at .035 depth at .050 intervals.

Thanks Mac

I have a CNC lathe & Mill but this was all done by hand on my mid size manual mill. The slide was mounted at a 30 degree angle in the vise jaws. A 3/4 inch endmill performed a plunge cut at .035 depth at .050 intervals.

Thanks Mac

very cleaver solution - at the angle the plunge cut comes out like a scallop. in another life I would have been a machinist.

Back
Top Bottom