I can't believe the lack of competent gunsmiths in NH

whats needed is a headspace gauge dimension resource.
if we had the dimensions of the plug then any machine shop could manufacture them with those dimensions and people could check it themselves.
all it is is a casing shaped plug gauge.

Not everyone has headspace gauges for a moisin.

B

EDIT: You probably can just get a field gauge if you want to check it for safety. A cartridge will be your go gauge.

Last edited:
What are you trying to headspace? If it's something exotic, I doubt the local gunsmith would have the gauges to do it. Plus, not all gunsmiths are actually what they are titled. Most can mount a scope or install Glock sights, but there are few who can install barrels and headspace. Brownells sells just about everything if you want to do it yourself.

I want to check headspace on my M39. The thing with the gauge for doing it myself is that I was told that it will be 3 to 4 weeks for delivery as I opted for the coin type from a company in Brockton, Ma. However, I may just buy from Midway USA or Brownells for the cartridge type because it'll get here sooner.

It wasn't a matter of them not having 7.62x54r calibers, they simply have no gauges at all. When I asked about using dial calipers or micrometers they told me they don't check headspace.

I did not try Stateline in Mason, but did try stateline in Plaistow, who told me about "redneck headspacing". I'm exagerating a bit when I say I called all of them. I only called about a little over a dozen. Lewis, Rileys, Stateline, Costa, Daves, Collectors & others

I am going to order No-Go & Field gauges & just wait. I was calling shops so I can just go shooting sooner. I have butterfly's in my stomach over this rifle

When you get your headspace gauges, what ever you do DON'T drop them. They are very easy to use. Rule #1 is to never force a bolt closed on a gauge. Remove the firing pin/cocking spring from the bolt action rifles because you don't want to mistake the resistance from the striker cocking to the gauge limiting out. Once you have the cocking piece out of the bolt, doa few dry runs in the receiver to get a good feel of the bolt and to make sure it moves smoothly. Use only 1-2 fingers to try to close the bolt on the gauge. Bolt should close on a "go" gauge, but not on a "no-go" gauge. If it does close, then try the "field" gauge. If it closes then, try a different bolt.

Back
Top Bottom