I don’t see a lot of pistols here, so...

45collector

NES Member
Picked this up recently for a decent price. Decent for current fair market value that is.
1954 Argentine Model 1927. Otherwise known as “Sistemas”.
These milsurp .45’s are every bit as good as a WWII USGI 1911A1 with some minor differences in finish and parts profile. Finish is a black oxide type rather than parkerized or Dulite. Hammer is WWI-era type. Main spring housing has sunken checkering. All parts in these guns are interchangeable with USGI guns as they were built on machinery from US gov’t specs. S/N on these guns are stamped on the receiver, slide and barrel hood.
This gun has slight pitting here and there through the finish and worn areas where the hand grasps the gun. Mechanically it is sound with a strong but slightly frosted bore. Now how about those idiot scratches?! Not only the usual one on the receiver but TWO on the slide?! I’d like to slap whatever bone head got his hands on this one.
I ran 50 rounds of mild (just a little under factory power) 230gr plated reloads, from about 15 yards and kept them all within about a 6” group. The gun is certainly capable of better if I had taken my time and tried for bullseye.

A good, foreign military surplus arm for about half the price of a US version in similar shape. She’s a keeper!

309B61F7-0E63-4306-B220-7015A0EF5A10.jpg

Last edited:
As I understand it, those pistols were made on actual Colt machinery that was brought to Argentina and setup and are actually Colt clones, minus "the pony".

I remember reading an article about those quite a while back (I think in American Rifleman), and it was discussed how those were very good quality guns, and affordable (good buys).

Thanks for posting the pic. Looks Nice!

As I understand it, those pistols were made on actual Colt machinery that was brought to Argentina and setup and are actually Colt clones, minus "the pony".

That is true for the earlier Argentine guns that were contracted by Colt and made in the Hartford factory. I’m not exactly sure what year it was that the Argentine government acquired their own machinery from a German manufacturer but the setup of that machinery was supervised by Colt engineers and was tooled to exact USGI 1911A1 specs. It was sometime prior to WWII. The last year of production of these guns was 1966.

I remember reading an article about those quite a while back (I think in American Rifleman), and it was discussed how those were very good quality guns, and affordable (good buys).

Thanks for posting the pic. Looks Nice!

Quality of the steel used to produce these is also of note. They were made from steel purchased from Germany, Great Britain and Sweden.

I've got one I picked up with my C&R. Great gun, fit and finish is fantastic, accuracy is very good. Every bit as good as a colt without the name.

Oh I want one now.

Need to do more research. Figure if one of these needs to be adopted to keep an Argentine Mauser company.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Oh I want one now.

Need to do more research. Figure if one of these needs to be adopted to keep an Argentine Mauser company.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Simple answer is YES you do need one!

There’s a few on GB right now but damn are they overpriced.

I missed a good window on these few years ago. One vendor who has now been ruined by new owners had them for $229 but I could not resist the $149 cz82 and a few 32 cal offerings for short money. Also was more into rifles at that time.

The Argentina colt contract 1911 has pony mark and Hartford on the slide. Those were made in CT. In 1923 Argentina decided they can’t rely on foreign factory to produce military weapon supplies. So they asked colt to sell equipment and tech to them for good. Colt agreed to: 1) produce 10,000 colt in CT for them. 2) sell them some equipments and provide training for making 1911.
After the first 10,000, colt made another batch 1911 here for Argentina army, police, Air Force. But that’s it. Those were really colt 1911 produced by the same colt factory equipment and workers.

Last edited:
One of the first pistols I ever bought with my C&R was an early 1930's colt 1911 with Argentina police markings on it. Have not shot it in years, but remember it shot well however bit the web of my hand pretty bad.

Ahh a straight up 1911, web bite, rattle box! Nice.
I think a lot of shooters today if they picked up a Gen 1 1911 they would call it a POS. In some reguard they where. Although browning did what he did well simple robust working guns. Bravo sir.

“but remember it shot well however bit the web of my hand pretty bad.”

Those with bigger, meatier hands are more prone to get bit by the 1911’s hammer/ grip safety. I have never had any of them bite me, probably due to my average sized hands. My father had big thick hands and would get bitten by pretty much every auto he shot!

Last edited:
Those with bigger, meatier hands are more prone to get bit by the 1911’s hammer/ grip safety. I have never had any of them bite me, probably due to my average sized hands. My father had big thick hands and would get bitten by pretty much every auto he shot!

My Great uncle used to joke that when in the army the instructors would say don't worry it will wear your skin down and callous over by the time your done here. I'm trying to get my cousin to let me search his stuff to find his army papers.
I seen his weapons training "card" he scored expert on 1911,M1 garand, carbine , Thompson, grease gun and BAR. He mentioned he also trained with the K98 P38 and Italian arms of the period.
He said the army trained him on many weapons during his 10th mountain training?

My Great uncle used to joke that when in the army the instructors would say don't worry it will wear your skin down and callous over by the time your done here.

I shoot a .45 1911 for IDPA and a 9mm version for steel plate/ walls of steel. The insides of my strong side thumb and pinky developed callouses from aggressive grips but that’s about it. The only time I can ever remember a 1911 drawing blood from me was last year during a reload in IDPA and it was on my weak hand inside middle finger. I think it may have been from the rear sight. I don’t use the slide stop to drop the slide on reloads.

“but remember it shot well however bit the web of my hand pretty bad.”

My hands are as big and meaty as they come. My 1911 fits me perfectly and has never bitten me.

I have a little Italian pistol that has it in for me though.

Some interesting information. I have Argentine Police and a Marina (NAVY) 1911. I have shot the GENDARMERIA and like it but the 1911 is new un-fired and will stay that way. It's nothing like the rattle box I carried in the 60's

bTLLzmz.jpg

The one on the bottom is a Ballester Molina. Interesting history on those too. Does the Wilson Combat magazine actually function in that gun?

I was debating on what first C&R pistol to get and figured I'd end up with a Makarov but this makes me want to try something different...
I, too, have heard the Argentine ones were nice.
Not going to hold out for the CMP unicorn and the likely high prices.

So, is this becoming a Colt thread? I just sold the Colt Police Sunday. I would like an early .357 someday.

t[smile]

Attachments

• IMG_2563.jpg
    IMG_2563.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom