• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

i hate glocks

What kind of action is it called if you can also aim it with the trigger pulled back and fire off shots by squeezing the cocker? [smile]

I guess then you could say it is DAO, but that's not how the gun is supposed to be used. I don't know if the P7M8 will work that way, when I had mine I honestly never tried anything that stupid with it. That would defeat the entire purpose of the gun. If I ever saw someone running one that way, I would tell them "You know, you can sell that gun and buy three Tauruses, they would probably suit you much better. "

That would be like gun filth. That's like watching a guy take a mint Colt Python and swing the cylinder closed with inertia. Those are people I don't let near my guns, although I don't even own anything that cool anymore. Same thing with the people who "ghetto load" semiauto pistols.

-Mike

I guess then you could say it is DAO, but that's not how the gun is supposed to be used. I don't know if the P7M8 will work that way, when I had mine I honestly never tried anything that stupid with it. That would defeat the entire purpose of the gun. If I ever saw someone running one that way, I would tell them "You know, you can sell that gun and buy three Tauruses, they would probably suit you much better. "

That would be like gun filth. That's like watching a guy take a mint Colt Python and swing the cylinder closed with inertia. Those are people I don't let near my guns, although I don't even own anything that cool anymore. Same thing with the people who "ghetto load" semiauto pistols.

-Mike

Of course, I was just getting a headache trying to figure out the correct acronym for it so I figured I'd pass it on.

RDA (reverse double action)/~DA/~SA?

And for the record I never tried live-firing my PSP like that back when I had one. [smile]

For me its all in what you are gonna use it for. I carry a glock 30 because of its reliability and simplicity. Point and pull. I have no idea how I would react in a self defense situation and would hate to fumble my safety on a 1911 or otherwise and wind up in monday's obituaries. If im going to the range, IMO you cant beat a nice 1911

There is a saying among practical shooters that you don't rise to the occasion when stressed, you instead are reduced to your lowest level of training.

If you use of a 1911 involves loading it at the range, then leaving the safety off and shooting until empty, then I agree with you.
But if instead you participate in IDPA type games where you must draw a 1911 with the safety on, you develop the muscle memory to instinctively sweep the safety off.

I say this after shooting a Glock in IDPA for about 10 yrs and spending the last couple of years learning to shoot the 1911 well. I'm a big fan of both.

I recently ordered a Beretta 92 for my dad, who just "wanted one". I have to tell you that the Glock and the 1911 are both vastly superior to the 92 in most practical measures.
The one thing that both the glock and the 1911 seem to share is that they are both easy to shoot reasonably well. The Beretta with its 10# DA pull is very difficult to get the first shot off quickly, and I'm a pretty decent DA revolver shooter. (Sharpshooter in IDPA in SSR, not exceptional, but competent)

So while the 1911 and the Glock both have their plusses and minuses, they are both exceptional firearms in the big scheme of things.

Don
p.s. One thing I'm pretty ignorant on are hi-cap 1911s. I've been jonesing for a STI edge lately, but feel like I was cheating on my wife if I took anything other than my Baer to the range.

Dr. Grant,

You can run a P7M8 that way. I had one briefly and tried it a couple of times. Just experimenting.
I didn't end up keeping it for long, but it had some great properties. Insanely low bore axis and heavy weight meant it shot softer than something its size should have shot.

But I bought it for a carry gun and it proved to be heavier than I wanted to deal with. Funny thing is I replaced it with the lighter Glock 23, but never carried that because I didn't shoot it well and it was too fat. Oh well, live and learn.

Don

Back
Top Bottom