• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I hate the urge to sell what with the crazy $$$.

I'm gonna tell this tale ! more time ( I swear) I sold a firearm I bought at a steal value from someone who's wife just plain wanted it out of the house ( not your usual handgun) I kept it 5-6 yrs. Never even fired it . And DAMMIT sold it when I was laid off one winter to pay some bills. I regret it today as much as I did then MY one and only sale of a firearm. Never sold ammo ever ever ever. Seen 3 ammo droughts in my lifetime MONEY isn't everything. *** Edit to add something....... In my safe I have a Sig Mosquito .22 , ( don't flame me yet) I saw it in a case and damn I said a Sig in .22 and it was all over but the cleaning up. What a fu888in mistake , I shot it once or twice, 1st time I almost threw it in the river , second time I shot it was with CCI copper clad bullets only did a lil better but not 100% better. So it sits unloved and forlorned on the top shelf of my safe. To remind me to do better research and never buy on impulse in a Shooting Supply Store.
I fell out of love for my Mini14 some time ago but I'm still not selling it LOL It's in mint condition.

Only gun I ragretz selling was my original Gen2 G19 with a pile of mags. I have since acquired a new Gen5 at a price less than what I sold hte Gen2 for during the height of Newtown. But those mags. THOSE MAGS!!! Some of you bastard have some of my magazines that I sold below market to help out poor NES'ers. And I WANT THEM BACK!! LOL

OK, 8 NFML mags that I still have or acquired are probably more than I'll ever need. But still. . . .
yeah, mags is a sore topic. especially when some keep posting them for $250-$275 in some pipe dream of somebody buying it for that much? crazy.

hmm, I do have a BG I haven't shot in a long time for the same reasons. Probably the only thing I wouldn't mind getting rid of. Could probably get double with the ammo LOL.
A couple of years ago I couldn’t get $250.00 for it. It sat in the case at my LGS for like 3 months until I pulled it. I have no doubt you will sell it quick now.

Ive bought and sold a bunch over the last 9 months. There are still some great deals out there... and there are great opportunities to sell some things that I’ll never use. So why not get some money to fund the next purchase/project.

I've sold a few guns over the years. Typically, I make pretty good money when selling. I only really miss a few of them. A few others would be nice to see again as well.

One of my best sales were several 1911s (a Colt Gov S70 & SS Kimber Match Target) while on the way out of MA. They weren't on the MA list at the time. I was able to replace both with new Colts (S70 Gold Cup NM & S80 SS Commander) and have enough left over to have a nice safe put in and purchase a used Snap On toolbox.

The experiences have actually led me to change how I purchase guns. I came to the realization that limits are a good thing. So I'm really specific about what I like and why. My new approach is to try to find something extra cool about the gun. The last purchase (in Jan this year) illustrates this - a USGI surplus M17. This gun was extremely difficult to find at MSRP. Along the way I met a few people that went the extra mile to help me and we stay in touch. The entire process ended up linking things that happened when I was a kid. In addition, also in the special area, it is cool to have a current USGI gun as issued and I don't think we will ever see anything general purpose surplus like this again.

Only gun I ragretz selling was my original Gen2 G19 with a pile of mags. I have since acquired a new Gen5 at a price less than what I sold hte Gen2 for during the height of Newtown. But those mags. THOSE MAGS!!! Some of you bastard have some of my magazines that I sold below market to help out poor NES'ers. And I WANT THEM BACK!! LOL

OK, 8 NFML mags that I still have or acquired are probably more than I'll ever need. But still. . . .
I don't think I have one. But if I did, all of my MA purchased mags off of NES stayed in state for what I paid for them before I left. All of them. And all the mags I moved to MA with which were preban. And I think everything I owned when I moved in which was unobtaniun in MA except for a glock26 which I will never part with.

Not sure whom here I got a glock19 2nd gen from with a minty fresh factory slide, but those two mags stayed in state as well.

Not one, but two awesome NESers sold me preban g19 mags for used usa prices when they were going for $80 in MA. I made sure and pass that on to the next competitant MA human who needed them.

Sold my G30 a few years back, wasn't crazy about it. Made sure to keep all the ammo I had for it.
Ended up buying a 1911 earlier this year and love the way it shoots. And didn't have to worry about looking for 2020 priced .45ACP [thumbsup]

The only guns I regret selling are the ones that if I held on to them longer I could have sold them for a LOT more.

Guns to me are tools, not anything that I am tied to emotionally.

Motorcycles are a different story [smile]

This is why i still have my ‘95 Ducati 916 and 2002 Kawasaki ZX7R

Guns to me are tools, not anything that I am tied to emotionally.

I am. It's one of the reasons I won't buy another Glock: I don't connect to them. I only have so much money to spend on guns; I want to be tied to them emotionally, otherwise I'd buy them all and go bankrupt.

I won't buy a gun unless I feel I might connect with it, and once bought I know within about a week whether it's an "I will never part with this" vs an "I could see myself selling this on to someone who'll like it more."

I'm the same way with bass guitars. I have to feel a connection to them. Unfortunately for my wallet, that's not too hard to do...

I am. It's one of the reasons I won't buy another Glock: I don't connect to them. I only have so much money to spend on guns; I want to be tied to them emotionally, otherwise I'd buy them all and go bankrupt.

I won't buy a gun unless I feel I might connect with it, and once bought I know within about a week whether it's an "I will never part with this" vs an "I could see myself selling this on to someone who'll like it more."

I'm the same way with bass guitars. I have to feel a connection to them. Unfortunately for my wallet, that's not too hard to do...

It's all good, I'm the same way with motorcycles.

The thing about 'Selling' is decisiveness. Once you decide... Do it and don't look back.

i have had the same question as the OP. do i sell that ruger LCR .38? rarely if ever used over the last 5 years. probably 1000+ rounds through it.

used and abused.

dropped scratched & dented. could probably get $275.00 with a box of 50 rounds in the current climate,

but it was my first-born carry, think i'll keep it for now. we'll see how things go in 2021

I sold my bodyguard during this gun drought for what I paid for it. I was happy. I tried selling it a few years ago and nobody, I mean nobody wanted it. That thing left my finger bleeding every time I shot it so I didn’t shoot it much at all. I used the money to get something I could shoot. I know @drgrant , I know.o_OView attachment 428830

You got all your money back on one of the worst handguns ever manufactured. That's pretty killer, IMHO. At least now the money is trapped in the poopcamp, and those things, as much as I hate them, retain value very well. That and you like it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1N5lZw7e78

hmm, I do have a BG I haven't shot in a long time for the same reasons. Probably the only thing I wouldn't mind getting rid of. Could probably get double with the ammo LOL.

Funny thing is I bought a used (cheap) BG in April because I decided to start carry while riding my bicycle. Figured with the craziness projected out at the time, people losing jobs, desperate people do desperate things & all that, thought it was best to carry while riding. And I didn’t want to get my EDC all schweddy so I got the BG. It doesn’t suck as bad as I remembered and it is tiny and concealable.

Lol, That's an interesting way of putting it. I felt the same way about glocks initially (for like 5 years, actually, or some shit) but once I got over it the wins started to appear on the
back end. It's something that only makes sense over time and not immediately. It's not the same type of gun lust, either. It's based in practicality and pragmatism more than anything
else. Glocks are not some artisinal bespoke firearm or any bullshit like that. It's just a hammer, and the different numbers are different types of very durable hammers.

I will also freely admit nearly ALL of my "regret sales" were guns that I didn't need but "emotionally" didn't want to get rid of them. Like for example I sold a P7M8, which was literally my first handgun. Seriously, nobody /needs/ a f***ing P7M8, it's just f***ing stupid, impractical, etc. Yet if you have one you feel like you own a goddam family heirloom Rolex or something. THAT sort of connection.

I -DID- manage to get ONE of my regret sales back, (A CZ Shadow 1 CT) because I had an open deal with the guy who bought the gun from me- I told him "Hey if you ever go to sell this later, call me first, I will have the money to buy it back by then". A few years went by and he did. And I bought it back.

As time goes on though I typically avoid selling shit though, unless I see a specific opportunity where I can sell gun X and Y that isnt used and turn it into a gun Z, like I did with my P320's.

Last edited:
Lol, That's an interesting way of putting it. I felt the same way about glocks initially (for like 5 years, actually, or some shit) but once I got over it the wins started to appear on the
back end. It's something that only makes sense over time and not immediately. It's not the same type of gun lust, either. It's based in practicality and pragmatism more than anything
else. Glocks are not some artisinal bespoke firearm or any bullshit like that. It's just a hammer, and the different numbers are different types of very durable hammers.

I will also freely admit nearly ALL of my "regret sales" were guns that I didn't need but "emotionally" didn't want to get rid of them. Like for example I sold a P7M8, which was literally my first handgun. Seriously, nobody /needs/ a f***ing P7M8, it's just f***ing stupid, impractical, etc. Yet if you have one you feel like you own a goddam family heirloom Rolex or something. THAT sort of connection.

I -DID- manage to get ONE of my regret sales back, (A CZ Shadow 1 CT) because I had an open deal with the guy who bought the gun from me- I told him "Hey if you ever go to sell this later, call me first, I will have the money to buy it back by then". A few years went by and he did. And I bought it back.

As time goes on though I typically avoid selling shit though, unless I see a specific opportunity where I can sell gun X and Y that isnt used and turn it into a gun Z, like I did with my P320's.

Funny. When I did buy a Glock, I did it because it was like 1996 and everyone was buying Glocks in 1996. I bought it because I felt like I should. Shot fine, boringly reliable, and I held onto it for 12 years.

But I had a cheap 1911 at the same time, same caliber. I took the Glock out once in 12 years, the 1911 weekly. If I'd been carrying back then, I'd have gone with the 1911.

I have a Ruger Single Six original 3 screw with the extra 22 Mag cylinder 4 5/8 inch barrel. Box, warranty card, manual, red felt bag for the extra cylinder. Think I paid less than $75.00 in 1971.
Yesterday I saw just the box like mine for sale for the same type of gun going for $200.00. The complete package in the $700.00 range.
Does make me think of selling but have not yet decided to do it. Lots of the pricing I have seen on a Ruger Forum with very high price packages that are selling for the high values.

I have a Ruger Single Six original 3 screw with the extra 22 Mag cylinder 4 5/8 inch barrel. Box, warranty card, manual, red felt bag for the extra cylinder. Think I paid less than $75.00 in 1971.
Yesterday I saw just the box like mine for sale for the same type of gun going for $200.00. The complete package in the $700.00 range.
The distributor specials with a Crown Royale bag for the cylinder get the big big prices.

Sold a 45-70 marlin back in the 80’s and that still regret....
Pretty much everything I have so far is either a hunting rifle or a battle rifle that can be used for hunting
Only drawback is the mosin would scare anything within a 10 mile radius with the first shot .......

I have guns I'm tempted to sell but keep because I don't really need to part with them. Seems like there are a few categories though:
  • Nice to Own: P226 Extreme: I don't shoot it very often but I bring it to the range for others to shoot.
  • Broken-But: e.g., Remington Mohawk 10C: I had the magazine working decades ago. I keep thinking I'll find time to fix it, but there it sits. I probably should sell it to someone inclined to get it working, but I've had it since I was a kid and could literally disassemble, clean it, and reassemble blindfolded.
  • Broken/Issues: H&R 622: Why I don't just post them for parts or wall art is a mystery.
  • Pointless or Redundant: Benelli Supernova: Don't shoot it. I just keep it from rusting. Range time is consumed by the other guns.

Last edited:
I have two pistols that are close and constantly think of selling one but just won't do it as like others said depending on how things go in a week will determine how things will be and I don't want to be stuck.

Never had sellers regret, only buyers regret:)

My biggest regret was not buying something when I should have. Like many tears ago at Wilmington Shriners seeing Colt Pythons for $750 and Colt Diamondbacks for $600.

If I knew then what I know now.....

Back
Top Bottom