I have a 30.06 with a 22.5 inch barrel and a twist rate of 10. Can someone help me out with identifing the best long distance hand load

Nah, you're not a troll but the guy clearly isn't interested in your opinion, no matter how learned it may be. You were the 10th guy to tell him his pump rifle wasn't up to the task and he pushed through and you still responded to him that his post must be a troll post. I'm a fairly accomplished PRS competitor, maybe not as accomplished as you but you act like reaching 600 is some holy grail. I have a 600 yard range at my house and I could have anyone with a modicum of shooting experience on 20 inch steel with a heavy barreled AR with limited coaching in 5 minutes. Would they win a PRS competition, probably not, maybe he's not looking to win anything either. Now, I don't know shit about a pump rifle because that sounds stupid, but could it be any worse than a mid level AR with a heavy barrel?

A .30 caliber pump rifle is far far far worse than a mid level AR with a heavy barrel. Know what you’re talking about before you open your mouth.

As a person responsible for my clubs 600yd range, I would NEVER allow someone with a pump action hunting rifle to fire it on our 600yd range. It most likely will barley hit a 6ft sq target much less keep the bullets in the backstop. Pump and lever action hunting rifles have their place for sure. 600yd ranges isn’t it.

OP has even implied he doesn’t plan to adjust his scope elevation for distance....

I don't know about 600 yards being any kind of Holy Grail, but I do know what is required to consistently score well at that range. When I read "600 yard competition", I assume either Highpower XTC or F-class. Both require a pretty high level of accuracy. I don't shoot PRS (yet), so I'll let you educate us on that, but being able to hit 20" steel doesn't mean much to me (that's either a 9, a 10, or an X, but which?).
A pump or lever hunting rifle, other than probably not being accurate enough to safely keep all rounds on target, is also impossible to use when in position with a sling (or off a rest if F-class).

I don't know his skill level or the performance capabilities of a pump action rifle. I will take your word it can't be done safely. I guess its all perspective, High-power would be the last thing I would have considered.

A .30 caliber pump rifle is far far far worse than a mid level AR with a heavy barrel. Know what you’re talking about before you open your mouth.

As a person responsible for my clubs 600yd range, I would NEVER allow someone with a pump action hunting rifle to fire it on our 600yd range. It most likely will barley hit a 6ft sq target much less keep the bullets in the backstop. Pump and lever action hunting rifles have their place for sure. 600yd ranges isn’t it.

I said I didn't know shit about a pump action rifle performance, read before you open your mouth.

Edit: A quick search shown apparently these pump rifles can be 1.2 - 1.4 MOA, even a sub MOA on a 5.56. You don't allow 7 to 8 inches on your 600 yard range?

Last edited:
I said I didn't know shit about a pump action rifle performance, read before you open your mouth.

Edit: A quick search shown apparently these pump rifles can be 1.2 - 1.4 MOA, even a sub MOA on a 5.56. You don't allow 7 to 8 inches on your 600 yard range?

You compared it to a mid level AR without any idea what the pump action can or can’t do.
Maybe I spend too much time on Sniper’s Hide and the attitude there spilled over. Sorry.

If anyone showed up with a hunting rifle and non-match ammo and said they wanted to head out to the 600yd line and see what it can do, we’d never allow it. If they started at 200 and proved both they and the rifle were capable, I’m sure we’d allow it. Based on the pump action rifles I’ve handled, I’d be highly doubtful of their capability beyond 200yds. I’d have far more confidence in a modern M4 with half decent ammo.

Ken - a couple of years ago, the SSUSA had a good article on re-creating your own 30-06 match ammo:

How big a group do you get now at 100yds?

if you let the barrel cool down between shots (i.e. wait a while, or pull a boresnake through & wait a little) that should help reduce temperature effects of the thin barrel & tighten your group size a bit

Tell my wife that.......

I'm sure your wife doesn't carry a hammer around looking for nails to hit, and she would just buy a remmington .308 action and a nice 5r barrel, timney trigger, decent scope, stock, +20moa baseplate and some 175 grain match boolets and some varget and call it a day. What's that, like a $1500 budget to get you out to 1000?

The 7600 is free floating barrel and although as Pat and many have said other than some fun gun club shoots no where close to good for most 600+ yard matches. I am hoping to get my hands on a 7400 in 06 and give it a whirl with "my match" loads which get me and my rifle to moa teritory from a well supported position. Then see what it can do.

Has anyone tried to call the OP?

It would be nice to see the op at min put all his rounds in the black at 600.

I got a different lube from a reloading shop, and sizing the cases is now easy. Now with the load ( 54.3 grains of IMR4350 ) the muzzle velocity is about 2340. The gun has been checked out by a local shop and they say it's fine ( I had fired about 40 or so rounds of this ). I got the gun zeroed at 100 yards, so now I need to get out to a longer range.

I am not looking to win anything, I just like shooting, and targets under 150 yards are not hard enough to keep me interested. I need something I can do, and with the problems with my back, neck, knees and others - I cant trudge through the woods anymore. I can do the reloading, I can definitely shoot. So now I have something I can do to give me some enjoyment.

At the reloading shop I saw a 308 target gun that was amazing MPA308A made by Masterpiece Armament ). If I want to win a prize I can get that, but I don't really want to buy another gun. If I sell the Savage 99, I would get it then.

Thank you for your input, positive and negitive, both are usefull
Ken

I got a different lube from a reloading shop, and sizing the cases is now easy. Now with the load ( 54.3 grains of IMR4350 ) the muzzle velocity is about 2340. The gun has been checked out by a local shop and they say it's fine ( I had fired about 40 or so rounds of this ). I got the gun zeroed at 100 yards, so now I need to get out to a longer range.

I am not looking to win anything, I just like shooting, and targets under 150 yards are not hard enough to keep me interested. I need something I can do, and with the problems with my back, neck, knees and others - I cant trudge through the woods anymore. I can do the reloading, I can definitely shoot. So now I have something I can do to give me some enjoyment.

At the reloading shop I saw a 308 target gun that was amazing MPA308A made by Masterpiece Armament ). If I want to win a prize I can get that, but I don't really want to buy another gun. If I sell the Savage 99, I would get it then.

Thank you for your input, positive and negitive, both are usefull
Ken
i thought you where trying to do this with the 7600?
Anyway looking forward to your results.

I am. it's just an option if the 308 I have isn't up to it, but that rifle is built for the task. Either way, the 30.06 will be used, it can reach just fine I don't want to spend the 2400, but I have not shot my 308 that far yet. We will see how this plays out when I get a place to shoot 600 yards. An orchard close by is thinking of letting me be one of the people they let shoot for crop damage. If I get that, I will have the long shot I am looking for.

I have 2 rifles, and 3 pistols ( one is a 40 and I am giving it to my son when he gets his permit ) and I don't want more as I will be traveling the country for a couple years and don't want more to lug around, an that rifle is heavy

Back
Top Bottom