I have a Garand....

Sling, bayonet, T97, leather scabbard, Willy's MB, water proof weapons cover, blank firing devise, cleaning kit, grenade launcher, tools, winter trigger...that sort of thing. You also need 2 more M1s so can utilize the stacking swivels.

Last edited:
a sling, and 2 more Garands - then you can make a wicked cool tripod with the stacking swivels....... just like Great Grampa did when slept in a pup tent

Nice 1907 sling Brown/turner/Les tam
At least a USGI web sling. I like the Danish surplus web slings myself.
Make sure ifvyou plan to use the sling for support its long enough. Many of the reproduction slings are to short/thin/weak/cheap
Im not much of an accessory guy.
I do have butt stock cleaning kit and a bayonet , but I dont use them.
I rather put money towards another rifle/ammo
Speaking of witch I sent of a order for a service grade from cmp. Figure 10-12 weeks to save up

Last edited:
An AR15 so you don’t have to shoot an obsolete weapon that is too heavy and with a slow rate of fire.
Blasphemy! Another outburst like that and I’ll come over there and I’ll beat you on the noggin with a wooden cooking spoon.

OP congratulations and I hope it’s a shooter, got my first last year and it’s a lot of fun. Also in the same boat as far as accessories. Sling was first for me and makes shooting and handling a little easier. Then I wanted a bayo, so I found a K98 bayo they converted to fit the M1... pretty neat.

Turner sling, a few 2 & 5 round en bloc clips & a SLED for good measure.

Mine is a national match Pro-Tech barreled 308 and a lot of the shoots at Reading are single-load (200-yards offhand), hence the SLED.

I also have a adjustable gas plug. It loves the Federal gold medal match 168-grain load and I have a Dan Newberry OCW load that mimics it fantasticly, shoot some MOA!

Harry, from Noah Motors, gauged the barrel and throat and everything was zero or negative, best built target M1 he’s ever seen.

So I have the rifle, got ammo and clips. What other "must have" accessories for the M1 should I be looking at?

Get a 'SLED' (single load device) from Aggressive Engineering. +1 for the slings mac1911 mentioned. Also a gas plug wrench is nice as well as a gas cylinder wrench. You can do without these tools and just use a huge ass flat blade screwdriver, but the proper tools are better. Also I recommend Mobil 1 synthetic grease to lube your M1. It holds up in the heat of summer and works down to minus 7- I've tried it!.

Get a 'SLED' (single load device) from Aggressive Engineering. +1 for the slings mac1911 mentioned. Also a gas plug wrench is nice as well as a gas cylinder wrench. You can do without these tools and just use a huge ass flat blade screwdriver, but the proper tools are better. Also I recommend Mobil 1 synthetic grease to lube your M1. It holds up in the heat of summer and works down to minus 7- I've tried it!.
You can also make your own sled, i even made left hand sled.
1/4" drive T handle works on the gas plug
The gas cylinder wrench comes in handy to hold the rifle for stubborn gas plugs if you dont have a padded vise. I use a pair of large padded channel locks.

An AR15 so you don’t have to shoot an obsolete weapon that is too heavy and with a slow rate of fire.
futurama___trolling_is_bad.jpg

No one's said "Shuster gas plug", so, "Shuster gas plug."

Ammo.

Handloading accoutrements and components.

Bayonet.

Sling.

Stuff with which to launch training dummy grenades.

Like any gun, what you need for a M1 depends on what you're going to do with it. If you're not going to shoot it much, you'll probably be fine with a couple thousand rounds of .30-06 that lasts you a few years. If you are going to shoot it a lot, you should join groups like the Garand Collectors' Association or the CMP Forums. Some people end up getting very involved with one type of gun, others just buy one to have one and call it a day. If you find yourself with multiples, consider buying books on the guns.

Back
Top Bottom