• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I have a Garand....

Get the right ammo- don't mess with commercial .30-06 made for hunting with bolt guns and you won't need an adjustable gas plug. If you reload, there are lots of good loads that are Garand safe.

Get the right ammo- don't mess with commercial .30-06 made for hunting with bolt guns and you won't need an adjustable gas plug. If you reload, there are lots of good loads that are Garand safe.

We need to go back in time to get more Greek HXP in the spam can already on clips and in the bandoleer. I still have two unopened cans downstairs for my rainy day incidents. I kick myself for not stocking more.

We need to go back in time to get more Greek HXP in the spam can already on clips and in the bandoleer. I still have two unopened cans downstairs for my rainy day incidents. I kick myself for not stocking more.

Actually the boxed HXP holds up better over the years. That said, if you inspect the stuff in enblocs and cull any that appear corroded you'll still have very good ammo at a cheap price. I like their brass for reloading as well. I actually prefer HXP over Lake City brass because the HXP is tougher.

Wish I had more of either- I'm getting into the last of it.

Get a 'SLED' (single load device) from Aggressive Engineering. +1 for the slings mac1911 mentioned. Also a gas plug wrench is nice as well as a gas cylinder wrench. You can do without these tools and just use a huge ass flat blade screwdriver, but the proper tools are better. Also I recommend Mobil 1 synthetic grease to lube your M1. It holds up in the heat of summer and works down to minus 7- I've tried it!.

It makes a shitty motor oil, but great bang for your buck as a gun lube!

Actually the boxed HXP holds up better over the years. That said, if you inspect the stuff in enblocs and cull any that appear corroded you'll still have very good ammo at a cheap price. I like their brass for reloading as well. I actually prefer HXP over Lake City brass because the HXP is tougher.

Wish I had more of either- I'm getting into the last of it.

HXP primers are only lightly crimped too as opposed to LC brass which you need to decrimp before you can prime. You can prime HXP directly. But I think factory LC (not 1969 tho) is more accurate than HXP so its a trade off.

I eas buying as much as I could until they ran out, then It dawned on me how much I was shooting. I have enough enjoy my shooting needs until I just cant see the sights . Unless my kids really get into shooting sports I have enough ammo to enjoy. No where near as much as some.

A decent camera. You will want the memories.

zg9CbyI.jpg

Good point, I should have been more specific. I meant more cleaning and maintenance stuff. It came with a sling and I won't be doing matches or anything like that.
You should run it at a few cmp matches just for fun. Come join us over at OCSA come spring time

So I have the rifle, got ammo and clips. What other "must have" accessories for the M1 should I be looking at?
Besides using it on any Jap, Nazi and North Korean holdouts there’s a lot!!!! CMP matches and reliving the battle of the Bulge every winter at your local gun range is a start. Just don’t dig any foxholes forward of the firing line like I did😂😂. So, as far as accessories there’s Sage Dymamics!!!!! Get yourself a second mighty M1 and throw it in one of thier tacticool stocks. Oh, and because I’m a motivated Marine I drill with my M1 in my garage, I gotta relive the glory days somehow, even though I was never issued an M1. 😂👍🏻🇺🇸.

That was one of the first things I picked up on, I got a line on some Greek M2, not a lot but enough for me.

No one's said "Shuster gas plug", so, "Shuster gas plug."

Ammo.

Handloading accoutrements and components.

Bayonet.

Sling.

Stuff with which to launch training dummy grenades.

Like any gun, what you need for a M1 depends on what you're going to do with it. If you're not going to shoot it much, you'll probably be fine with a couple thousand rounds of .30-06 that lasts you a few years. If you are going to shoot it a lot, you should join groups like the Garand Collectors' Association or the CMP Forums. Some people end up getting very involved with one type of gun, others just buy one to have one and call it a day. If you find yourself with multiples, consider buying books on the guns.
I thought only Anti’s want us to have books on guns and not the real thing.......

No one's said "Shuster gas plug", so, "Shuster gas plug."

Ammo.

Handloading accoutrements and components.

Bayonet.

Sling.

Stuff with which to launch training dummy grenades.

Like any gun, what you need for a M1 depends on what you're going to do with it. If you're not going to shoot it much, you'll probably be fine with a couple thousand rounds of .30-06 that lasts you a few years. If you are going to shoot it a lot, you should join groups like the Garand Collectors' Association or the CMP Forums. Some people end up getting very involved with one type of gun, others just buy one to have one and call it a day. If you find yourself with multiples, consider buying books on the guns.
Yea it was like that for me when I was into 03's but that was a long time ago, I still got some of the books. I don't buy guns to sit and not get used so I will shoot it from time to time but this was more a "every collection needs one" type of acquisition. That being said I still want the right tools and gear to take care of it properly.

Yea it was like that for me when I was into 03's but that was a long time ago, I still got some of the books. I don't buy guns to sit and not get used so I will shoot it from time to time but this was more a "every collection needs one" type of acquisition. That being said I still want the right tools and gear to take care of it properly.
Theres not much cant do with a cartridge bullet point and the cleaning kit that goes in the stock. A M10 tool is pretty handy also.

Last edited:
northny said:
An AR15 so you don’t have to shoot an obsolete weapon that is too heavy and with a slow rate of fire.

Blasphemy! Another outburst like that and I’ll come over there and I’ll beat you on the noggin with a wooden cooking spoon.

OP congratulations and I hope it’s a shooter, got my first last year and it’s a lot of fun. Also in the same boat as far as accessories. Sling was first for me and makes shooting and handling a little easier. Then I wanted a bayo, so I found a K98 bayo they converted to fit the M1... pretty neat.

Nonsense
Get the battle rifles while you can. You'll be able to buy the other accoutrements later, but likely not the rifles.

Colt SP1 AR15, usgi parts semiauto M16
IMG_6363.jpg

SAI M1A (M14 semi, Preban era USGI parts)
IMG_6364.jpg

M1 carbine if you don't already have one

latest

AR brahs wanna talk smack they should back it up. Always the jaw flapping but they don't show up to go head to head against 80 to 100 year old military rifles.
I know even when you offer to pay for fees and ammo and sometimes Lunch!
Heres a few Brah excuses I have had launched at me when there are ARs to our left during cmp
1. Im only zeroed for 50 yards
2. But you have to lay on the ground
3. You shoot how many rounds
4. I have to do pit work
5. I only have a 16” barrel
6. But brass will hit me/rifle
7. Am I old enough- this one made me darn near spit my coffee out. Because its always seems to be old people.
Heck Im glad im not the young guy at cmp anymore.
So since I won a lifetime membership raffle I will be doing a Karma soon for pembroke cmp

there's a spam can in the classifieds right now

yes that is the going rate for a spam can!

there's a spam can in the classifieds right now

yes that is the going rate for a spam can!
No there's not LOL

No there's not LOL

Good score if you got it. Yeah, slight pandemic upcharge but not like the insane gouging for primers that are marked up from $35 to $150 now.

The enblocs can be a little rough because of the heavy phosphate finish or whatever they use. Tumble them and they'll run smoothly. I had one spam can perfectly OK and another with a few 'culls'. A couple of the cartridges had corroded a little, maybe where the steel enblocs were contacting the brass case. Only a couple so no big deal.

Back
Top Bottom