• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I have a Garand....

Good score if you got it. Yeah, slight pandemic upcharge but not like the insane gouging for primers that are marked up from $35 to $150 now.

The enblocs can be a little rough because of the heavy phosphate finish or whatever they use. Tumble them and they'll run smoothly. I had one spam can perfectly OK and another with a few 'culls'. A couple of the cartridges had corroded a little, maybe where the steel enblocs were contacting the brass case. Only a couple so no big deal.
$300 a tin of 192/clips/bandos thats tempting to sell at that price.
1978 lot date- i had a 2 tin crate of 1978 HXP no problems shot well.

Now 1972 lot dates on clips....ugh
Lets just say i make sleds out of any 72 dated clips in my bucket.
A run in the tumbler helps but i think theres some late 60s early 70s non U S manufactured clips that had problems.

I have an open one in my ammo closet with various odds and ends.

Looks like the hardware is gone, but you can get that off the other one.

t
CA3ACAF1-17DF-4D2D-8628-9A13C7AE9351.jpeg

a sling, and 2 more Garands - then you can make a wicked cool tripod with the stacking swivels....... just like Great Grampa did when slept in a pup tent
You mean like this:

So I have the rifle, got ammo and clips. What other "must have" accessories for the M1 should I be looking at?
"must have accessories" ? Skip the accesories at this time. Get more ammo. People don't realize how fast semi-anything guns eat up ammo. In this current panic environment you are going to run out at some point. I would suggest getting into reloading if you plan on keeping your Garand forever, but that is also impossible currently as you can't find reloading components either.

"must have accessories" ? Skip the accesories at this time. Get more ammo. People don't realize how fast semi-anything guns eat up ammo. In this current panic environment you are going to run out at some point. I would suggest getting into reloading if you plan on keeping your Garand forever, but that is also impossible currently as you can't find reloading components either.
Depends on how much you want to shoot
I know many people with guns and they do not “shoot” all the garand shooters I know that shoot are those I see at cmp.
My personal friends might go once a year and shoot a clip or two.
Those I know that dont shoot their M1s have all the accessories and might from time to time dress up their M1s and recite lines from movies in their under pants while fondling the rifle.

get what makes you happy

Those I know that dont shoot their M1s have all the accessories and might from time to time dress up their M1s and recite lines from movies in their under pants while fondling the rifle.

Just found my new 'hook' for a YouTube channel. Mountain's Milsurp Review, sponsored by Fruit of the Loom. I'll be fondling a different milsurp rifle every month. By the time I run out of my own to review, I can either buy more as a tax write-off or sponsors will be sending crates of them (rifles AND underpants). I bet I can get more views than Hickok45 and Gun Jesus combined! I just need a few more details to wrap up my boxers or briefs business plan.

Just found my new 'hook' for a YouTube channel. Mountain's Milsurp Review, sponsored by Fruit of the Loom. I'll be fondling a different milsurp rifle every month. By the time I run out of my own to review, I can either buy more as a tax write-off or sponsors will be sending crates of them (rifles AND underpants). I bet I can get more views than Hickok45 and Gun Jesus combined! I just need a few more details to wrap up my boxers or briefs business plan.
I want a cut into your monetary vids and links for the Idea.
Wish I had known to get a digi cam with my first few builds.

First get one of these.

Gas Cylinder Wrench, Garand​

M1 Garand Muzzle Guide. Model# M-1G-1​

Get a quality cleaning rod and not one of the cheap GI surplus.
A selection of chamber brushes and the tool the use it.

Combo Tool, with Chamber Brush, M3A1, USGI New, M1 Garand​

A Nat. Match Rear Sight aperture is nice to have.

Rear Sight Aperture, Hooded, NM (.0595), M14 / M1A / M1​

Use the correct lubrication.

Lubriplate 130-A Mil-Spec Grease​

They need specific lubrication to run properly.

No one's said "Shuster gas plug", so, "Shuster gas plug."
Nice to have but I never installed one on any of mine. But I either use milspec surplus ammo specially for it.. (which has dried up unfortunately)....or handloaded all of my ammo using mil surplus 4895. If using commercial 06 good to have.

Back
Top Bottom