• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I have a serious dilemma

I love football and will continue to watch. That being said, if my team trotted out the company plane for the condom snorters, I’d be having second thoughts as well. IDGAF about the kneeling, or the political posturing from mental midgets. I see plenty of dumbass political statements here on NES that I disagree with, but I keep logging on because I enjoy it. To each their own.

Having grown up as a tremendous fan of Boston sports, it was a sad realization a few years back that essentially these people contribute very little to the overall well being of my life. So in general, I've stopped paying attention to the "people that are deemed to be important" that appear on my TV. That includes most in the acting profession, athletes, and media.

These people and their opinions are no more important than any of the rest of us, and from what I have seen, have no clue as to how the average person lives or thinks. The kneeling and self-flatulation are purely systemic to the level of BS accolades that have been showered onto these people because they have a specific skillset or talent.

The Kraft plane thing only served to put an exclamation point behind what I already knew. I'm totally out, I've stopped caring about what any of the "important people" think. They don't speak for me.

Kraft is old and now turning into a Social Justice Warrior. I'm more pissed he forced Bill to trade Jimmy G. but I don't have the interest in sports that I used to have. I'll watch Pats games but not the other NFL games.

I stopped watching ANY NFL games besides Pats games a decade ago, after the National Anthem protests I stopped watching 95% of the Pats games also, after Krafts bullshit with that rapper and the anti 2A people I am OFFICIALLY NFL free, feels good. The NFL must feel like Starbucks does after years of cuckery and they got cucked by their own, f*** em all.

fail to think of this as serious dilemma.

if you're really bothered by the political BS you really can't allow yourself to support these rude millionaire children.

switch to watching hockey. It's 10x more exciting, the players are 10x tougher than the over pumped football premadonna bitches, there are more games, and it takes significanlty more skill to play. The bruins are incredible this year and anyone who is not watching them is seriously missing out.

I stil like the pats but I put football on the tv on sunday for background noise. It's just not the same as it was when I was a kid watching with my dad....It's not just the politics too, it's Roger Gooddells sissification of the game. There's no room for any of that bullshit in hockey.

Here's the deal. Every game you watch adds revenue to the NFL because they charge their advertisers by the amount of viewers they "historically" have. I would expect with the low ratings last year they may see a hit in ad revenue this year due to having to drop their rates for ads. And every dime that the NFL makes gets distributed out to the teams as the teams OWN the NFL. So yes, just little ole me no longer watching won't make a lick of difference. But is all gun owners said screw them and stopped watching, and then all the people upset over the kneeling did the same thing, they would have to notice.

This is the problem with most on the "right." Y'all think that "well, my little personal boycott won't mean anything." Meanwhile on the left, one little person says "f*** this, I'm marching and I'm calling my buddies to march with me, and we are calling the media and we'll start marching/boycotting/protesting/etc and others WILL join us and we will force change." And they start walking and by the time they have gone a 1/2 mile more people join them.

And you sit back and watch your rights being eroded. Especially in MA! and whine that, our little protest can't stop the wave. You're right. Because your "protest" starts and ends at the keyboard.

And even worse! You knock people who open carry long guns but it ended up with Texas getting legal open carry of handguns! And now we/they are working on constitutional carry. (I realize NH and ME has this)

Well there ya go! Sounds like your decision is made. ;)

I never watch football except the SB and that was usually for the commercials. So I can't relate to any type of loss regarding the NFL.

switch to watching hockey. It's 10x more exciting, the players are 10x tougher than the over pumped football premadonna bitches, there are more games, and it takes significanlty more skill to play. The bruins are incredible this year and anyone who is not watching them is seriously missing out.

I stil like the pats but I put football on the tv on sunday for background noise. It's just not the same as it was when I was a kid watching with my dad....It's not just the politics too, it's Roger Gooddells sissification of the game. There's no room for any of that bullshit in hockey.

I Love hockey! And I also can't imagine any hockey players being disrespectful or giving a rats ass what any whining SJW's think about them!

Unless you have a Neilson box on your TV (BTDT), watching the Pats on TV will not impact their ratings or help them with their advertising rates.
Step out of the stone age. You think the cable companies aren't tracking what you're watching and selling that info? Ever get a new comcast box and had to go through the "registration?" There is two way communication going on...

Step out of the stone age. You think the cable companies aren't tracking what you're watching and selling that info? Ever get a new comcast box and had to go through the "registration?" There is two way communication going on...
True, but Neilson is still installing monitoring hardware in cable boxes and using that for the ratings. I'm not sure what direct ratings gathering is going on by cable, but Neilson as the "biggie" is still a very active player.

No kidding. Newsflash: As the owner, he profits from the games and merchandise sold. That’s why he owns the team.

My obvious point, "to most", is that I watch players play, not Bob Kraft. I'm not a groupy, so I don't buy merchandise, and while I don't like that anyone, including the NFL, makes money when I watch tv, I like it less when people try to tell me what I should or shouldn't watch, or voice approval or disapproval. None of the football nay sayers bought my tv, or pay my cable bill. If I didn't watch football, the only one that would be directly impacted is me, as I would have paid for the tv, and cable, then denied myself of watching a game that I enjoy. That decision would be as dumb as following the wishes of the no more NFL football herd.

Last edited:

I generally agree problem is a lot of pre-playoff hockey for whatever reason to me turns into a snorefest (although the changes in the tie-breaking format/rules helped this a LOT.... shootouts were just retarded ) but some NFL games are like that too, so no loss there. One big advantage of Hockey is the time commitment is not nearly as long- and due to the shitload of games if you miss one, no big deal, just wait a day or two and there's another one. NFL games and MLB Baseball are overproduced. Sometimes to the point of being unintentionally hilarious. Honestly with some of the NFL games sucking you literally live for those moments, like when the producers f*** up the camera shot and theres fog on the field and they come back from the commercial with a view of the stadium and its just this sea of fog and you cant see shit.... [rofl] The one thing I didn't catch much of this past season was Al Michaels slurring, he must be staying away from the sauce. A season or so ago it was really bad.

Not having Jon Gruden on MNF is going to suck. Even if two shit teams were playing he was at least interesting to listen to.

There's also a SERIOUS problem in the NFL in terms of the incoming talent pool. The quality of the (overall) product sucks when like 8 out of 32 teams have all the coaches and players that are basically
worth anything, the next 8 are passable sometimes, and the bottom 16 are pretty much gutter trash and nearly unwatchable. I think part of the problem is the "college stocks" that a lot of the players come from
are kind of playing the game at a formulaic numbskull level, then they enter the game in the NFL and some college senior is playing checkers when NFL elite teams are running a chess match. I think the other NFL
problem is a lot of the owners are lazy and don't have a raging boner to actually WIN games; they don't give a shit because even if their team sucks the media allocation checks from the league/network or whatever
still come in. Even the Cleveland browns are still basically getting paid full check to show up despite being the absolute worst out of the 16 block that I just spoke of.

NHL doesn't have this problem; even the otherwise shitty teams often defy their pedigrees on a regular basis. Which makes any given game possibly entertaining to
watch. There are more variables that can add a huge swing to a Hockey game too...

There is but that info is not as useful as a nielsen box which tracks the people using the TV, etc.

-Mike

So, I stopped watching NFL because of the kneeling thing. I tuned away from the Pats when they took a knee and was happy, and returned, when they did not.

Figured they learned to keep politics off the field through some loss of revenue.

The plane thing bring into focus for me that not just Kraft but the patriots organization supports anti2A through the use of the Patriots plane being used. If you say what the difference as Kraft is the Patriots, I feel the use of the plane and its logo now endorses this behavior and because of that fine distinction, means I can no longer support the team, as minuscule as my support may be. On some level, I am supporting anti2A and supporting these tools by watching and buying/wearing their gear. No more.

Additionally, the use of muskets by the Patriots is the epitome of hypocrisy. I will not watch.

Just my 2 cents.

I'll bet Gronk wishes that someone had sent him the above memo before his guns were stolen, While he was away, playing in the Super Bowl.

I'm sure you can find better ways to entertain yourself that doesn't involve watching the NFL, lol

I watch it occasionally but have no vested interest in the outcome besides being able to rib my friends that take it way too seriously.

I watch hockey -- seems to be a lot less bullshit associated with that sport.

Though I love the game of football and have been a fan of The Patriots as a team I've found for many years, sitting through a game is a last resort to occupy my time. I much prefer watching a good college game

Taking knees pissed me off, so I decided to not watch non-Patriots games, and not buy or wear any NFL merchandise. Donating his plane to support anti-2A pissed me off, too. I'll continue watching them on TV at home, because it's a social activity with family and friends, and it's fun. I did send them a note, expressing my distaste with what he did, and will not patronize their advertisers or buy/wear their gear. And, I'll never go to Patriots Place or another game.

I was never a rabid Pats fan , but the taking a knee thing killed it altogether.
The range or getting stuff done around the house is a far better use of time.

Not to be the bad guy but I don't need an entire internet forum to help me make a decision about what would conceivably be values but we are all different. I will say while my son "is" currently serving in a war zone actively taking place in operations in the middle east the NFL can kiss my A$$ and hopefully Kraft's girlfriend takes his entire kingdom for everything he and his family are worth.

Maybe it was a combination of alcohol and Thai food, but when I read the thread title last night I thought it said

I have serious diarrhea

I see now I was mistaken, which I’m glad for.

I'm a huge football fan and I boycotted the NFL last season due to the kneeling during the anthem dilema that was happening. It was hard and people would give me weird looks when I mentioned it. It was my moral boundary that was crossed and as such I made the boycott call as their actions crossed a line for me. Yes it will be hard, but it all depends upon whether the line the Pats crossed is a deal breaker for you. Also, I'm fairly certain that most NFL owners would do the same in one form or another.

I am all for exercising one's rights. Even if I don't agree with your speech/religion/etc - practice it as long as it harms no one. I don't care who you sleep with or how your relationship works so long as no one is coerced or harmed in any matter. I believe in the 2nd Amendment and currently boycott a number of businesses for being "anti FULL on 2nd Amendment." I may not want to open carry an AR but in states where it's legal, like TX, go right ahead. I believe we shouldn't have to ask permission to own or carry a gun or be "cleared" by a background check or restricted as to where we can carry.

I boycott a number of businesses because of their anti-2A stance, just as I would if they were anti-1A or any other form of anti-rights. I boycott actors in that I will NOT pay to watch shows or movies with actors who feel the need to make their anti-2A sentiments known to the world.

And I grew up watching the Patriots every chance I got (1 tv, 8 kids, and I was the only one who liked to watch sports). And I live and die during game time. There are certain moments of Patriots history I refuse to talk about. I'm sure you can guess which ones. I started doing an annual thread on the team the last couple of years that lasts for an entire season through playoffs before I start the next one.

All of my boycotts have been inconvenient for me. Some have outright robbed me of momentary, occasional joy or have caused me a certain level of convenience (like not being able to buy socks and such at Wally world any more).

And as you all know (or should), the Patriots flew a bunch of people to the Anti-gun protests. Because no matter what they call it, that's what it was. And I have discussed with friends whether or not I am going to continue watching and/or rooting for them as a result. I have actually considered burning all my Pats gear, on video, and sending the video to the Patriots to let them know why I want to boycott them. Part of watching them would require I buy the NFL package, although I could probably see about 75% of their games without it. But even not buying the package isn't really enough, is it? Because if I tune in to any of their games that broadcast down here, they make money on advertising and those rates are based on the number of viewers it pulls in. Likewise, if I watch ANY NFL game, all NFL teams make a cut from the profits of the NFL.

So my dilemma is - do I really boycott the Pats and if so, do I also boycott all the NFL games.
I usually watch 3-8 games per week when I have the NFL package and can see all the teams that interest me at the time.

What say y'all?

It won't work.

And it's not your fault.

It's because so many of your fellows, yes, even Gun Owners, don't wish to be inconvenienced.

Even a little.

Taking knees pissed me off, so I decided to not watch non-Patriots games, and not buy or wear any NFL merchandise. Donating his plane to support anti-2A pissed me off, too. I'll continue watching them on TV at home, because it's a social activity with family and friends, and it's fun. I did send them a note, expressing my distaste with what he did, and will not patronize their advertisers or buy/wear their gear. And, I'll never go to Patriots Place or another game.

Yup. That pissed me off too. Then again, I guess it pissed off more than you and I because no one is taking knees anymore.

As some others have said: Go Shooting or try some other activities out. When sports teams or others try to dictate our lives they should be told to go to HE double L

Cut out cable tv and put the money and time towards learning a new skill. Cooking classes, rifle classes, vegetable garden, getting into better shape, whatever. Its a more productive way to spend your time and money. Its become a cliche, but it really is just watching grown men chase a ball around, think about it.

Back
Top Bottom