I have no need for a rifle. But I want one.

StevieP

NES Member
I've got a 12 gauge shotgun (w/ three barrels).

I've got an AR-15 that's dead-nuts accurate to 200 yards.

I've got a carry gun (M&P9c) and another pistol for fancier picnics (Sig 1911 TTT .45ACP).

I've got a 10-22 rifle, and a .22LR conversion for the 1911 for plinking or pest control.

So I've got all my "needs" covered.

What am I missing? What do I want next?

While I keep thinking a wheelgun in .357 Magnum might be nice I think I want my next gun to be a higher-power bolt-action rifle. I think a .308 is a good place to start, as it would kill any two- or four-legged beast I'm ever likely to encounter, be it hunting, or social situation.

I've been looking at web sites for weeks (months? years?) and keep going back to a Ruger Gunsite Scout. I like multi-taskers. I drive a Chevy Avalanche. My boat is a fish&ski. I ride a Road King. My favorite tool is a Leatherman Wave.

I like the box magazine for up to ten round capacity. Threaded muzzle. Light. I shot my friend's Remington 700 Tactical with a McMillan stock, scope, and bipod. It must have been eleven+ pounds all-in. Way too much.

I want this to be more than a bench rest gun. I like the idea of a lighter weight mountain/brush gun but that I could still put a bipod on for that. An all-around "ranch rifle" that may be a jack of all trades but a master of none. I'd like a 16 - 20 inch (max) barrel length to keep it handy and light.

Mossberg has pre-announced a .308 version of their MVP Patrol rifle (currently only available in .223). But they're not being produced or shipped yet.

I've heard great things about Savage's out-of-the-box accuracy. But their 'Scout' rifle has a target crown and a longer barrel. It also has only a 4-round magazine.

An M1A Scout Squad or AR-10 are both more money and weigh too much.

The Steyr Scout is way over-priced.

What other guns fit into the category I'm thinking of? Kimber? Other?

The requirements gain: box magazine-fed .308Win bolt action rifle with threaded muzzle at the end of a <20" barrel. Under 7.5lbs

Anyone bought a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle and regret it? Anyone shot both the 16.5" and 18" (SS) versions, and comment on differences? I kind of like the shorter black-barrel version. Inside 200 yards I doubt there would be any noticeable difference in accuracy.

Last question: Anyone know of a shop with a Ruger Gunsite Scout (Model 8602) in-stock? KTP shows 20 of them, but it's a haul from Central MA.

Last edited:
I would go to North Shore Firearms and ask about the AK pistols. I hear that they just have to make a call and they will special order it for you, delivered to your house.

You need an AR, chambered in 22LR.

Loads of fun.

A real AR though. Not S&W polymer junk. I'm talking 7075-T6 upper & 7075-T6 lower, CMMG 16" barrel 1:16, CMMG chrome bolt, etc.

Another vote for the Garand...
Your .223 needs a big brother.

3006vs556mm.jpg

I've got a 12 gauge shotgun (w/ three barrels).

I've got an AR-15 that's dead-nuts accurate to 200 yards.

I've got a carry gun (M&P9c) and another pistol for fancier picnics (Sig 1911 TTT .45ACP).

I've got a 10-22 rifle, and a .22LR conversion for the 1911 for plinking or pest control.

So I've got all my "needs" covered.

What am I missing? What do I want next?

While I keep thinking a wheelgun in .357 Magnum might be nice I think I want my next gun to be a higher-power bolt-action rifle. I think a .308 is a good place to start, as it would kill any two- or four-legged beast I'm ever likely to encounter, be it hunting, or social situation.

I've been looking at web sites for weeks (months? years?) and keep going back to a Ruger Gunsite Scout. I like multi-taskers. I drive a Chevy Avalanche. My boat is a fish&ski. I ride a Road King. My favorite tool is a Leatherman Wave.

I like the box magazine for up to ten round capacity. Threaded muzzle. Light. I shot my friend's Remington 700 Tactical with a McMillan stock, scope, and bipod. It must have been eleven+ pounds all-in. Way too much.

I want this to be more than a bench rest gun. I like the idea of a lighter weight mountain/brush gun but that I could still put a bipod on for that. An all-around "ranch rifle" that may be a jack of all trades but a master of none. I'd like a 16 - 20 inch (max) barrel length to keep it handy and light.

Mossberg has pre-announced a .308 version of their MVP Patrol rifle (currently only available in .223). But they're not being produced or shipped yet.

I've heard great things about Savage's out-of-the-box accuracy. But their 'Scout' rifle has a target crown and a longer barrel. It also has only a 4-round magazine.

An M1A Scout Squad or AR-10 are both more money and weigh too much.

The Steyr Scout is way over-priced.

What other guns fit into the category I'm thinking of? Kimber? Other?

The requirements gain: box magazine-fed .308Win bolt action rifle with threaded muzzle at the end of a <20" barrel. Under 7.5lbs

Anyone bought a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle and regret it? Anyone shot both the 16.5" and 18" (SS) versions, and comment on differences? I kind of like the shorter black-barrel version. Inside 200 yards I doubt there would be any noticeable difference in accuracy.

Last question: Anyone know of a shop with a Ruger Gunsite Scout (Model 8602) in-stock? KTP shows 20 of them, but it's a haul from Central MA.

While it isn't available yet, it was demo-ed at Shot Show 2013. The rifle you want is the Mossberg MVP in .308.

It has everything: Threaded barrel, short 16" barrel, light, and best of all, it accepts PMAGS!!!! Though since you're in Mass you can fully take advantage of the 20 round pmags but I believe there are 10round pmags and should you escape to a free state, you can then buy the 20 round pmags.

Ruger wanted to use pmags for the gunsite but they couldn't figure out how to get a bolt to feed rounds from a double stack magazine like the STANAG or 308 pmags.

The mossberg (if they ever release the damn thing) is supposed to cost less than the gunsite as well.

Whatever you get, you are on the right path. Before you mentioned it, and after I read what you already have, I was thinking you need a bolt gun in something like .308 (or whatever caliber you fancy). It sounds like you don't need much help, you already have got it down pretty well. Your personal preference is more important than anyone else's.

While I'm not at all against a Mosin, my Gunsite is a sweet little rifle. I added a PWS brake, XS rail, and decent glass. Both the plastic and metal mags work well.

Steve,

I to have decided that I want, but don't need another gun. And I am torn between a wheel gun and a nice bolt action rifle. These are such hard choices. Are you still looking for playmates for a friday range trip?

Jim

I would vote for a Mosin 31/30 since they are really cheap and shoot cheap. Shoot it while your order for a CMP Garand is being processed (as the backlog is around 5 months so you won't have to pay for it until next year around refund time). Once those CMP Garands are gone, the price will go through the roof.

I bought the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle and have not had a single let down ever. Granted it is difficult getting used to the forward mounted scope but it is a cool set up

Garand!

Mike

Too expensive. Too heavy. Trying to KISS.

How about a Ruger 77/357 - shoots both .38 and .357 and comes with an 18.5" barrel.

I hadn't considered this. A pistol-caliber carbine is a neat idea.

I would go to North Shore Firearms and ask about the AK pistols. I hear that they just have to make a call and they will special order it for you, delivered to your house.

No thanks. I love my dog.

You're clearly missing a Mauser M03 Africa rifle chambered in .416 Rem. Mag.

Mauser: Specification

I said I wanted something that would kill any two- or four-legged creature I might encounter. That would be HERE, in the USA. Unless I'm going on safari for a water buffalo, this is a beautiful piece of overkill.

Get a M44.

Not really into the historic militaria stuff. I love that these Mosins are out there, but I want a brand NEW gun shooting a modern cartridge.

You need an AR, chambered in 22LR.

Loads of fun.

A real AR though. Not S&W polymer junk. I'm talking 7075-T6 upper & 7075-T6 lower, CMMG 16" barrel 1:16, CMMG chrome bolt, etc.

I have a Ruger 10/22 for that same fun. I want to expand before I start duplicating.

I like my Ruger Gunsite Scout.

Tell me more! What do you do with it? What ammo does it like? Is it the original 16.5" black-barreled model? Or the 18" SS?

While I'm not at all against a Mosin, my Gunsite is a sweet little rifle. I added a PWS brake, XS rail, and decent glass. Both the plastic and metal mags work well.

Same questions as above. Did you mount a scout scope? Or a normal 3" eye relief using the OEM rings? How much does the brake help with recoil vs the OEM flash hider? Are there other brakes anyone's tried?

Steve,

I to have decided that I want, but don't need another gun. And I am torn between a wheel gun and a nice bolt action rifle. These are such hard choices. Are you still looking for playmates for a friday range trip?

Jim

I'm currently unemployed so this is probably do-able. Your range or mine?

I bought the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle and have not had a single let down ever. Granted it is difficult getting used to the forward mounted scope but it is a cool set up

What optic did you get? Any other mods?

Is a trigger job necessary?

I have a Savage 10FP in .308. They (Savage) claim a 4 round magazine, but I routinely squeeze 5 in there every time I shoot it. It has a 26" heavy contour barrel though and weighs about as much as a Garand, but at 1/2 MOA with 168gr Match ammo, I got exactly what I want for fairly short $$ considering alternatives. The glass I put on the rifle cost a lot more than the rifle did. The 10FP was one of the best purchases I've made in the last 15 years.

I had an M44....won it in a raffle at a Westwood car shoot....didn't like it so I sold it some time ago. Not knockin' Mosins...they are a respectable rifle for what they are - a WWII battle rifle. I will likely pick up one or two after I retire to add to the collection. Anyways....

Savage makes a terrific rifle for the money. My 2 cents.

I like the 357 wheel gun idea. When I lived in Colorado I owned a sp101 357 with the 2 & 1/4 inch barrel. I used to open carry that whenever we went hiking in the mountains, camping, or hunting.

At least you're not picky. [laugh]

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Back
Top Bottom