• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I have no need for a rifle. But I want one.

Another vote for a Mosin... but why settle for just one, get a crate of them!

PWA_M9130CRATE.jpg

I took my Mosin out today because of this thread... my shoulder is still thanking me. +1 to the op for getting me out there![party2]

As I've often said, "Need has nothing to do with it".

I just picked up a Browning Micro Hunter in .308. Mines a Lefty. Put a Leupold 1.5X5 Scope on it. It's about the same size and weight as the old Remington Mountain Rifle. I figure it's good for just about anything the North East Kingdom has to offer for game.

Garand!

Mike

I agree with mike. I like my Ruger Gunsite Scout and I will never get rid of it but if I had to buy it again I would get something else. I wanted a bolt gun with iron sights, A detachable magazine, and chambered in .308. The ruger fit the bill with its nice laminate stock and short handy barrel. It is a good all around rifle but not particularly great at anything and I am just not using it the way I have envisioned. I do prefer the 16" blued (I think it may actually be parkerized) over the 18" stainless.

PRO'S

-Accurate (sub 1" groups @ 300 yards with Match ammo, sub 1" groups @ 100 yards with surplus NATO 7.62)
-Comes with iron sights (a rarity on bolt guns now)
-Very nice laminate stock (Butt spacers are kind of chincy though)
-Nice trigger
-Reliable magazine and feeding

CON'S

-Iron sights suck compared to M1 and M1A sights, the front post is thick and the rear sight adjustment is hokey, in order to adjust wind-age you have to loosen one allen screw and tighten another, in order to adjust the elevation you have to loosen the wind-age allen screw and rotate the aperture ring which ends up being a rather coarse adjustment. There is one aftermarket rear sight for M77 actions but it is really not much better.

-The stock steel magazines are difficult to load, expensive, and cannot top load.
-The polymer magazines can top load in the rifle but eject every round if dropped.
-The barrel/actions on most I have seen are far from being "true" which can result in the rear sight wind-age being far off center.

After firing over 2000 rounds though this rifle I would rather have a standard internal magazine that would load with stripper clips and better iron sights. The only issue I have had was a broken extractor which Ruger replaced for free, so no, these mauser copy actions are not bullet proof. The rifle is just too accurate and it takes a good quality conventional scope to ring out all of the accuracy. I just cant justify wasting that accuracy with a low powered scout scope or the crappy iron sights. If I had to do it over again I would probably buy a M1, 03A3, or Remington 700 BDL.

Just to close out this thread, I did buy the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle. Four Seasons had a previously owned but unfired one in-stock. Came with everything in the box plus two extra polymer 10-round mags and burly Uncle Mikes sling swivels, for a great price. Here it is, with the first 50 yard target from Friday's trip to the range. Credit my friend Jim (Raccoon1969) for the ones closest to the bullseye.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited:
All the shots were with iron sights. Vortex strikefire will be tested next with eyes on a variable zoom ler scout scope.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382247174200.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382247174200.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 47
I've shot both the 16" and 18" Gunsite Scouts. Liked both and didn't find enough of a difference in accuracy to make me want the longer one more. I'm like you, I like versatility in a firearm. I've been wanting a Ruger Gunsite for some time and when I get around to buying one will go with the 16" black version. It's a nice shooting weapon and its light enough to carry around comfortably while being accurate enough to toss a bipod on and shoot at longer ranges.

IDK I just find the savage rifles hard to beat $ vs $ for a "do all" bolt action rifle right from the box.
From all you described I feel like you just need to pony up and by a AR10?

Back
Top Bottom