• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I have no self control

I go into the shop looking for this:

View attachment 590831

And I also wind up walking out with this beauty. I think I have a problem.
Given the current state of affairs in this country, with gas prices soaring, covid death ever threatening, and world war looming, I think your decision was pragmatic.
It was merely an effort to consolidate trips, preventing a second costly and wasteful trip back to the gun store.
Making a second trip would double your potential exposure to the unclean masses. In buying both guns with a single trip, instead of two separate excursions, you have done your part to help stop the spread. A 50% reduction in firearms related covid infection. You are to be commended.
Your purchases were made from companies that are both in NATO countries, with US manufacturing facilities. You have strengthened our alliance with NATO and supported the American workman and economy.
It seems to me that you have made the world a better place. Well done.

When I went to pick up my last transfer at my local gun shop I nearly walked out with a new carry gun as well. Somehow I made it out without buying one. But I will probably waste the gas in the very near future to undo that error in judgement

You only have a problem if you have no money for it. #1 rule for me is don't spend money you don't have. Then maybe you truly lack some self control. Especially if your spending food, heat, or rent/mortgage money. Other than that......go for it.

There have been a lot of times I've seen something in the gun shop that I had no intention of buying and walked out with it.

I did that a Cabelas the other day with a $1700 dollar Winchester O/U sporting gun. I was trying to find a Beretta Sporting but hadn't seen one in a long time and this fit the bill. Actually saved me 500 cause the Beretta is more money anyway. The only real reason I bought from Cabelas is this was a dedicated model to them that they sell. I generally hate buying guns at Cabelas. Add to that the wood on this gun was fantastic, and I had a 100 dollar gift card and points that knocked off a couple hundred on it. Win.

I may still drop the 2K on the Beretta if I feel like it and give the 101 to my son because he doesn't yet have a dedicated clays gun.

Last edited:
RIP - Too young at 52. [angry]
One of my favorite memories was as a bar back, late '90s, part-time gig. Me and one other guy went from the Wilbur to the Roxy (same guy owned both clubs, among others) to get a helium tank, Laura Brannigan was doing a sound check for a show that night, singing one of her hits, I believe Gloria. There were only three people in the Roxy. I don't know where the sound check people were.

One of my favorite memories was as a bar back, late '90s, part-time gig. Me and one other guy went from the Wilbur to the Roxy (same guy owned both clubs, among others) to get a helium tank, Laura Brannigan was doing a sound check for a show that night, singing one of her hits, I believe Gloria. There were only three people in the Roxy. I don't know where the sound check people were.
Maybe she was just exercising the pipes.

Once on a late night talk show, Julie Andrews told a story that she was in Austria
for a concert, and bugged out of the big city to run her scales up in the mountains.

She's singing her heart out in some mountain meadow
when a busload of Japanese tourists come trooping over the crest.
They listen politely while she finishes, then someone chats her up.

Seems the driver just let them out at the random lovely meadow for a view of nature.

But the passengers have all became convinced that their Luxury Motor Coach Tour
must include watching Julie Andrews sing selections from The Sound Of Music.
Because how the hell else could they explain what they just saw.

csm_slide1_3a2c1221c8.jpg

However, I know the feeling.

IIRC NHPTV outdoors host Willem Lange...
a414c48a59eab474fa3310be2773dde0.jpg

...used to have some catchphrase like "I'll see you outdoors!".
(On either Windows on the Wild or maybe Wildlife Journal).

I didn't realize he meant it.

During a work hike on 2-Oct'12, I look uphill on the Zealand Trail,
and who do I see coming downhill, leading an AMC host and a video crew?
DSCN8383.JPG
They filmed an episode the day before, overnighted at Zealand Hut,
and were headed home..

I'll let you guys know when I'm done being gobsmacked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom