I honestly need to know...

DarkJoker33

NES Member
What is the obsession with glock?
And their marketing slogan of glock perfection.

I mean, I understand the appeal that the aftermarket is vast and huge.
But, when you are done with modding it, it's not even a glock anymore really.

Their design is uninspiring, they all look like carbon copies of each other.

From a reliability standpoint, just about every newish gun is the same

I'd rank it as the basic bitch gun of the gun world along with M&P's.

But maybe thats just me.

What is the obsession with glock?
And their marketing slogan of glock perfection.

I mean, I understand the appeal that the aftermarket is vast and huge.
But, when you are done with modding it, it's not even a glock anymore really.

From a reliability standpoint, just about every newish gun is the same

I'd rank it as the basic bitch gun of the gun world along with M&P's.

But maybe thats just me.
It’s mostly women and men with weak wrists. [rofl][rofl]

Butt ugly pistols in my opinion, but they work smooth as silk (the few times I have fired them).

My guess would be the fine German engineering, and the fact that, in this commie hell-hole of a state, they're on Maura's naughty list (see: forbidden fruits).

look at the history of the gun, you have to go back way back to their origins.

It was super-simple gun (in the west), stupid cheap to manufacture. It was one of the first "plastic" ones. Most of that lore comes from it. The components are easy to swap in-out. It was marketed heavily to PDs and dumped into US by trainloads. That's basically it.

Today, there are a lot of guns like Glock. They haven't really changed much because, if it works ... It has been very available due to PDs getting something else, after plastic frame is destroyed, all the metal bits are still available on the aftermarket. Glock mags are one of the most available standards as well, and many are not even used in only Glocks. So mass production + original hype, and the legend still goes on and it will.

In 3011, when all guns will be made from berillium, die hard FUDDs will only shoot the real plastic gun.

Before the hype with 80%, glock slides and hardware was stupid cheap too, especially PD .40s

The perfection thing sounds arrogant but you can at least see where they're coming from. Reminds me of the saying, "Perfection is achieved, not when there's nothing more to add, but when there's nothing left to take away."

So Glock used modern materials to create a pistol with fewer parts. It's more reliable, durable, and easier to function than many others on the market. And in the next few decades nearly every competitor makes their own variation on the same design. Meanwhile they haven't deviated much because it's a good recipe.

They certainly don’t need to be modded. They perform great out of the box. They run well clean, dirty, dry... whatever they work. I really wish Glocks fit me but they just don’t. I’d love to EDC one.

*Laughs at you all in CZ*
See the source image

Ha! the CZ! choice of secret police forces world wide. Enjoy your tool of oppression. To paraphrase Kruschnev (I think) " we will sell you the guns that we subsequently confiscate and shoot you with".

M&P - volkspistole. Eat lead Stasi man!

They certainly don’t need to be modded. They perform great out of the box. They run well clean, dirty, dry... whatever they work.

yep

I've probably bought 10 or so Glocks. Still have 6-I think and will probably go down to 5 soon. For the vast majority, all I did is upgrade the day sights. Most getting Ameriglo, and a couple taking advantage of Glock's inexpensive night sight install trick. 1, my G20SF I added an extended mag release and a captured guide rod.

Not really seeing the need to do much modding after that. They work fine as they come from the factory.

I have Glock "for reasons" none of which is that they are the best out there.
It's because they fit into what I need. That's all.

Engravings give you no tactical advantage whatsoever.

The guns are meant to be functional, not eyecandy. The similarity is a feature, not a bug. You can transition to different calibers and sizes and have effectively the same operating system and trigger, etc. without the need to relearn and reacclimate yourself.

They are not my pound for pound favorite and I no longer own any, having sold mine, but I've probably carried one more than any other model. Mags that can be had for $10 (sometimes even less) certainly helps as well.

Like ARs (sadly), they are the de facto pistol platform standard, for a reason.

The fascination with Glock is that it appeals to almost everyone. You have the people who don't care what it looks like and only care of its widespread adoption and track record in military and police use. You have the race gun crowd you want to hot rod every gun, and because Glock is so modular and has the most after market support, it's one of the best platforms. You have the opur8tors who want to look exactly like their video game avatar. And you have your everyday gun owner who bought because Glock is the most known, most visible brand name with everyone mentioned above saying to buy one. The few anti-Glock fudds, 1911/metal gun purists, and anti-fanboys out there pale in comparison to the legion of devote Glock lovers. And while they might look boring and might look exactly like, model to model, that's because they've not strayed too far from the successful formula. I mean, why would they want to when they sell like hotcakes?

The same reasons as every time this question gets asked.

They are simple, reliable and use common components.

Get a full size double stack 9mm Mag and it fits every double stack 9mm they sell. I have the shorter mags that came with my 26 and 19, but I only buy full size mags for spares.
Not much inside of a glock to really go wrong. That's the appeal for me.

That being said, I don't shoot mine often anymore. They get function checked and run through a few times a year, but if it's just a fun range trip, then I always grab something else.

It's rare for a new entrant in an established industry to totally change it, but that's exactly what Glock did. It didn't hurt that Charles Schumer raised public awareness of the brand with his mistaken belief that the Glock 17 could fool metal detectors, but here's what Glock brought to the table in the early 1980's:
  • Fewer machined parts
  • Fewer parts in general.
  • Striker Fired
  • Safe Action Trigger instead of a manual safety.
  • Polymer Frame.
  • Integrated Rail
  • Magazines that didn't quite work. :-(
The result was a pistol with more capacity for its weight that, once they firmed up the magazines, worked and worked well.

Eventually the rest of the industry caught on and caught up, but not before Glock pretty much dominated the U.,S. law enforcement market. Personal preferences will vary, but a Glock is still a perfectly reasonable choice today. And of course, if you live in Massachusetts, owning one raises a figurative finger at Maura Healey, which is a plus for me.

look at the history of the gun, you have to go back way back to their origins.

It was super-simple gun (in the west), stupid cheap to manufacture. It was one of the first "plastic" ones. Most of that lore comes from it. The components are easy to swap in-out. It was marketed heavily to PDs and dumped into US by trainloads. That's basically it.

Today, there are a lot of guns like Glock. They haven't really changed much because, if it works ... It has been very available due to PDs getting something else, after plastic frame is destroyed, all the metal bits are still available on the aftermarket. Glock mags are one of the most available standards as well, and many are not even used in only Glocks. So mass production + original hype, and the legend still goes on and it will.

In 3011, when all guns will be made from berillium, die hard FUDDs will only shoot the real plastic gun.

Before the hype with 80%, glock slides and hardware was stupid cheap too, especially PD .40s
same could apply to the HK's VP70 which was almost a decade earlier if im not mistaken
Inexpensive, efficient, modular, and simple.
Maybe in the beginning, but everything else is the same in todays world. I imagine in some time Sig will surpass it. If they actually stick with it and not kill it off.
Costs more than you make in a month.
Thats why.
No and no
*Laughs at you all in CZ*
Laughs at you all in HK
They certainly don’t need to be modded. They perform great out of the box. They run well clean, dirty, dry... whatever they work. I really wish Glocks fit me but they just don’t. I’d love to EDC one.
Everything ive seen and read complains about the mushy grindy trigger
Engravings give you no tactical advantage whatsoever.

The guns are meant to be functional, not eyecandy. The similarity is a feature, not a bug. You can transition to different calibers and sizes and have effectively the same operating system and trigger, etc. without the need to relearn and reacclimate yourself.

They are not my pound for pound favorite and I no longer own any, having sold mine, but I've probably carried one more than any other model. Mags that can be had for $10 (sometimes even less) certainly helps as well.

Like ARs (sadly), they are the de facto pistol platform standard, for a reason.
Besides grip points. I mean, whats there to change with operation procedures on pistols?
8/10 of them, safeties are in the same spot
8/10 of them, slide/lock release is in the same spot
8/10 of them, mag release in the same spot

Them= manufactures of pistols

So theres not much to reacclimate to.
Short of 1911 style safeties
HK/european style mag release
Beretta safety/decocker
Sig decocker

Are the only others off the top of my head that are different than most other guns

Back
Top Bottom