I killed my first squirrel today!!!!!!

J

JellyFish

I got him down in the Wilder WMA in Norton today. The video has full details on how I got him. [smile]

This was way better than the chipmunk. [grin]

Video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=cgga_uMV_pY

squirrel1.png

I've got the leg meat in the fridge, soaking in saltwater. I will eat it tomorrow. I had a bitch of a time trying to clean him though as there really wasn't much meat on him and during the process I inadvertantly nicked his gut and made a big freaking mess. Eeeeeeeew!!!!! [shocked]

Oops! If you tried to view the video and couldn't I have fixed it. I goofed on the settings and made it private. It should be public now.

Thanks man! [smile]

Well I wish I'd been able to do a better job skinning it and could have saved the pelt but after I hit the gut...well...let's just say it was a big mess. [laugh]

Congrats on your first one!

Now you know why most people don't bother hunting them. [grin] The pelts are nice though.

B

BTW when I say Treebeard I'm referring to my screen name over on another message board. And Uncle Ted refers to Ted Nugent. [grin]

I thought the chipmunk was your first kill ever????

anyway, congarats on your lunch. Let us know how it is. And maybe share the recipe?

Well I don't count the chipmunk as technically I wasn't really hunting him. LOL

He just happened to be there... [wink]

I just watched the video! Dude it looks like rigor mortis set in on the little guy. [smile] Thats why it was so hard to skin. Clean them when you shoot them, and skin them and put them on ice when you get back to the car.

Don't worry, I did the same thing the first time. You will get better at it when you do a few. [smile]

B

Yeah...come to think of it, he was stiff. Well what happened was that I left the damn camera at home!!! LOL

So I wanted pics so I had to keep him on ice till I got home.

Damn...so I should have microwaved him before I tried skinning eh? Well live and learn. I got as much meat off him as I could.

Drat. I wish I'd thought of that. I could have popped him in the microwave for a minute or two...

Yep. Or at least what I got off of it. Next time I will skin it BEFORE rigor sets in and I'll get more meat off of it.

Did you want a piece? I can try to save you a bit if you want. [smile]

Yep. Or at least what I got off of it. Next time I will skin it BEFORE rigor sets in and I'll get more meat off of it.

Did you want a piece? I can try to save you a bit if you want. [smile]

No thanks!!! I'll stick with chicken and steak. Let us know how it tastes though. How you gonna cook it?

I got him down in the Wilder WMA in Norton today. The video has full details on how I got him. [smile]

This was way better than the chipmunk. [grin]

I've got the leg meat in the fridge, soaking in saltwater. I will eat it tomorrow. I had a bitch of a time trying to clean him though as there really wasn't much meat on him and during the process I inadvertantly nicked his gut and made a big freaking mess. Eeeeeeeew!!!!! [shocked]

Congratulations! Did you use a .22 or a shotgun?

You'll probably find it easier to leave the meat on the bone until after you cook him: just cut into halves or quarters to cook.

Okay, I could not wait until tomorrow. I cooked up one of his legs tonight.

I fried it in some olive oil with just a bit of garlic and herb. Tasted quite good. Seems like a very light meat for the most part. No "gamey" taste at all. Quite delicious to eat, I wish I had more of it.

I had some tonight. Just a leg. Fried it in olive oil and garlic and herb. Quite good. A lighter meat than I expected.

Highly recommended. Go bag yourself one.

No thanks!!! I'll stick with chicken and steak. Let us know how it tastes though. How you gonna cook it?

Back
Top Bottom