• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I need a safe

appraiser

NES Member
Any suggestions?

needs to hold hand guns, plus personal papers and such.

I know nothing is going to stop someone who really wants to get into one, but I need something to keep stuff more secure than it is now.

I need around 3 cubic feet, fire rated for 2 hours, electronic entry would be nice.

I got one at BJ's today, got it set up, loaded it up, then it wouldn't re open. finally it gave up and let me in after a few hours. It really worried me that the contents were locked in there, and at 250 pounds in and out of the house and back and forth to BJ's (I returned it) needless to say my back isn't very happy right now!

If you want quick access, I highly highly recommend NOT having electronic entry.

electronic entry with key override

I know the electronics will lock down the safe for at least 2 minutes if the CPU sees 3 wrong entrys

More for personal papers than something where I need to get into in a hurry, but there are toys I need to put in there.

go to walmart and get a Sentry Safe.

I have one and use it mainly for documents and jewelry

*it just so happens to also hold my pistols and carry ammo as well.

I use a stack-on for my 2.5 rifles and ammo as well.

*just make sure you order extra drawers for it and you'll be Gee2Gee with a 2 to 6 pistols, some ammo and a binder...

jay_chris is a Marksman

go to walmart and get a Sentry Safe.

I have one and use it mainly for documents and jewelry

*it just so happens to also hold my pistols and carry ammo as well.

Danger Will Robinson - the Sentry fire safes that are not gun safes generally rely on a moisture exuding insulation for fire protection, and are unsuitable for firearm storage. The instructions even tell users to air them out from time to time so the papers contained within do not get soggy.

The POS safe I returned to BJ's was a Sentry and I saw that in the warnings, they tell you not to toss the desiccant packs that come with it, and to air it out occasionally.

I see that Four Seasons sells Sentry safes, I have to call and ask them about them about suitability for guns. Thistle Safe in Malden has some used safes on their website,and some new ones with the S&W brand name.

Danger Will Robinson - the Sentry fire safes that are not gun safes generally rely on a moisture exuding insulation for fire protection, and are unsuitable for firearm storage. The instructions even tell users to air them out from time to time so the papers contained within do not get soggy.

yeah, i kinda bought more guns w/o even thinking of a safe... plus i live on a second floor apt so i'm not trying to lug a second refridgerator into my apt.

i've shrugged it off for so long... "it's only two drawers with guns, it's not a gun safe" over and over inside my head

i've been looking at some under the bed ones, now to tell the girlfriend to get red of those damn shoes!!!!!

[laugh]

whatever you do, electronic access is a bad idea for a shtf situation in the home. SOmeone finds your safe and immediately smashes the keypad or yanks it off and cuts the cable. Poof, you are unable to get your guns and ammo.

A combo safe can be smashed, but would stand up to a bit more abuse and wont lock you out if you screw up dialing in the wrong combo under duress.

Mr Asphalt2 I thank you for pointing that out to me. I had not even considered that possibility.

If I do stick with the electronic route I'll make sure there is a key system that will override the electronics, or I'll stick with tried and true technology.

The first recommendation for a safe is get the best, largest one you can to start with. It is an investment that you want to be able to grow with you. I also think your best getting a safe thats fire rated to atleast 45 minutes. I have been very happy with the American Security safe I purchased.

Mr Asphalt2 I thank you for pointing that out to me. I had not even considered that possibility.

If I do stick with the electronic route I'll make sure there is a key system that will override the electronics, or I'll stick with tried and true technology.

the one, the only C-Pher taught me that while I was picking out a safe at Bass Pro a month and a half ago [wink]

anything to help, glockaholic!

I bought this Sentry safe from Lowes ($397 + delivery + tax). Has worked out great for me.

safe.jpg

This is probably a more useful pic.

safe1.jpg
safe2.jpg
safe3.jpg

FYI, I don't use the desiccant packs any more. I kept it there for my sports cards collection more than anything else. Keeping the guns lubed seemed to do the job as far as rust is concerned, but I've recently picked up a couple of the rechargable Remington dehumidifiers from Dick's Sporting Goods just to be cautious.

i227686sq01b.jpg

Last edited:
I just saw it a the Dedham Lowes this past weekend. They have 3 models. This one is the best from a value stand point. Still marked as $397, although I got mine for about $360 (it was on sale at the time).

FYI, unlike some of the large safes at Dick's Sporting Goods, this one is built like a tank.

I just saw it a the Dedham Lowes this past weekend. They have 3 models. This one is the best from a value stand point. Still marked as $397, although I got mine for about $360 (it was on sale at the time).

FYI, unlike some of the large safes at Dick's Sporting Goods, this one is built like a tank.

which model is it? I dont see it listed on the lowes website.

also, is it possible to partition one side to be shelves for ammo, handguns... and the other side for long guns?

I am no expert on safes but I'm going to need one soon myself. The one I listed below I seem to like a lot. It has shelves for pistols and papers, and can also hold some long guns. I am not a fan of having the holsters on the door unless i need to. It is fire rated for 30 minutes and on sale for $700.

http://www.deansafe.com/can-p14.html

Maybe it is a junk quality safe though. I don't know to much about it. Seems to offer a lot for the money.

Last edited:
which model is it? I dont see it listed on the lowes website.

also, is it possible to partition one side to be shelves for ammo, handguns... and the other side for long guns?

Yes, the safe is completely configurable for both long guns and handguns. I only have 7 handguns so mine is setup mostly for shelving space. The wife keeps her valuables there was well. The model is: E5251-T

FYI, I just gave the Lowes in Dedham a call ((781) 355-3780) and they confirmed that they have 3 of them in-stock at $397 if you want to take a trip over there to check it out. Unfortunately, it's not an item they have listed on their website so I don't have an item # for you.

By the way, there's a Dick's Sporting Goods right next to this Lowes so you can easily compare what they have.

Last edited:
All the electronic lock safes by Sentry have a key backup. It is located behind the keypad. I have a couple of the G5351 safes and a couple G2345 safes and are very happy with them. YMMV.
For handguns I have a couple of bank safe-deposit boxes that were obtained by a friend that works for a major safe company.

This is a great company and the nicest bunch of guys to work with. If you want to be able to move your safe yourself this is the one to get. I just called last week to up grade my safe from a 21 gun to a 30 gun. Needed a new rack for the inside. Guy asked me for my zip code and than said 20 dollars for the shipping. The part was free. Check them out, tell them Mark Bookbinder sent you. Good luck.

www.zanottiarmor.com

I am no expert on safes but I'm going to need one soon myself. The one I listed below I seem to like a lot. It has shelves for pistols and papers, and can also hold some long guns. I am not a fan of having the holsters on the door unless i need to. It is fire rated for 30 minutes and on sale for $700.

http://www.deansafe.com/can-p14.html

Maybe it is a junk quality safe though. I don't know to much about it. Seems to offer a lot for the money.

I think the only downsides to it are the electronic lock and its only fire rated for 30 minutes. I would go for something with 45 minutes fire rating, just in case.

This is probably a more useful pic.

safe1.jpg
safe2.jpg
safe3.jpg

FYI, I don't use the desiccant packs any more. I kept it there for my sports cards collection more than anything else. Keeping the guns lubed seemed to do the job as far as rust is concerned, but I've recently picked up a couple of the rechargable Remington dehumidifiers from Dick's Sporting Goods just to be cautious.

i227686sq01b.jpg

I have the same safe - I got it from Lowes too. I use a Goldenrod instead of the desiccant packs.

I did end up getting the safe at Lowes but it was 297 dollars!

Not as beefy as the 700 dollar safe, but if anyone wants into it or to get it out of the house good luck to them.

Thanks for the help ladies and gents.

I did end up getting the safe at Lowes but it was 297 dollars!

Not as beefy as the 700 dollar safe, but if anyone wants into it or to get it out of the house good luck to them.

Thanks for the help ladies and gents.

model number? pic? link please?

[wink] inquiring ME wants to know... [laugh]

Sentry E5251-t, had a 397 tag on it, rang up at 297, pics same as above, weight approx 260 pounds, lots of space!

I put anything I was concerned about burning into fireproof lock boxes inside the safe.

Back
Top Bottom