• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I need a vise for my reloading bench...

Just as the title says, I need a vise for my bench, but I'm not sure what to get. I've looked at Lowe's, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, etc and there's plenty of options, but I don't want something that's too big, and I don't want a flimsy little thing.

The vise will mainly be used for assembly of things like AR lowers, but the occasional revolver may get clamped in for a good cleaning. It's not going to be something I need to wail on, and I plan on getting a set of rubber jaw covers for the clamp face to protect my stuff.

Any suggestions?

Take at look at this vice at Brownells ($300). I have one and it is very solid. With the ability to flip the orientation it is very flexible as well. They have a video demonstrating the vice here.

l_080000019_1.jpg

Also, consider these magnetic soft vice jaws. I use them frequently.

Last edited:
Wow, $300! That's a little more than I was looking to spend. But thanks for the links.

Duke, I should have stated in my first post, I'm looking for something that will bolt to the bench. That one looks like it may, but it also clamps? Interesting. I may end up with the 4" or 5" model if someone doesn't make a better suggestion.

Wow, $300! That's a little more than I was looking to spend. But thanks for the links.

Duke, I should have stated in my first post, I'm looking for something that will bolt to the bench. That one looks like it may, but it also clamps? Interesting. I may end up with the 4" or 5" model if someone doesn't make a better suggestion.

You might want to look at the shop fox gunsmith vise at Midway. Product # is 511694. It is $39.99

Bigger is better. I've never heard someone say "I wish I had gotten a smaller vise". The ones at Home Depot are actually pretty good.

funny thing is I just looked at vises last night and was not impressed, but that shop fox thing looks like the ticket...order inbound (ps you getting a commish check?)

Bigger is better. I've never heard someone say "I wish I had gotten a smaller vise". The ones at Home Depot are actually pretty good.

Normally I would agree with you, but this is going to be specifically for firearms related things. I have a beast of a vice in the garage if I ever need to really wail on something, but on the reloading bench I just can't see myself ever needing anything that heavy... unless I were to buy a howitzer or something similar[laugh]

Take at look at this vice at Brownells ($300). I have one and it is very solid. With the ability to flip the orientation it is very flexible as well. They have a video demonstrating the vice here.

l_080000019_1.jpg

Also, consider these magnetic soft vice jaws. I use them frequently.

I bought one of these vises a year ago and have found it to be perfect for gunsmithing. They are actually "luthier's (guitar maker's) vises. I did not, however, buy the vise from Brownells. I got mine from Grizzly for $50, including shipping. I know the old saying "you get what you pay for" is usually true, but I have been using this inexpensive vise for over a year and can't find anything wrong with it.

I had a big monster vise on my work bench but it took up a lot of space .
I wanted something smaller so I bought a small 3 inch vise from Midway when I was ordering some other items.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=166042
Not a lot of money and it has served its purpose for me.
Ive since removed the 70+ lb monster from my bench and this 3 incher has taken its place. I realized that I was "over -viced" with the large one once I started using the smaller. This one serves well for most of my smaller projects such as building AR lowers and general home projects.

I use this Sears with the suction base. Works well when I need to hold a handgun and its portable.

DSC_1572.jpg

I've got one myself. The problem with this vise is that it isn't strong enough to hold the work soldly in place. I tried to checker a 1911 mainspring housing using this vise and it vibrated so badly I had to give up on the operation.

This is when I bought the inexpensive Brownells style vise for $50. These vises are also known by their nickname "the parrot vise" and are available from several outlets. Anyone interested in a gunsmithing vise is crazy not to give one of these a try. As I said before, after a year or so of use I am delighted with mine.

A lot of gunsmithing work requires a smaller vise with thinner jaws that allow access to small parts. I have a couple of large strong vises that are totally inappropriate for the small fine work associated with gunsmithing.

Look on craigslist for stuff like Vice's.
What's the point in paying new when you can something dirt cheap that is made to last.

Look on craigslist for stuff like Vice's.
What's the point in paying new when you can something dirt cheap that is made to last.

craiglist in the Personal column or in Services, look under adult.............oh, you meant vises......

The one I referenced does, indeed, bolt to the bench.

I use this Sears with the suction base. Works well when I need to hold a handgun and its portable.

DSC_1572.jpg

PS Nice High Standard. I have a Supermatic Trophy Model with a dot scope myself. I found that it is a lot easier to operate the slide with the rear sight removed.

Back
Top Bottom