I never trained for this...

Train strong hand, weak hand, standing, laying on your back, laying on your side, kneeling, from behind cover left and right, low light, no light, etc. Do some push ups and jumping Jacks and try shooting when you're out of breath, etc. If you're just standing still in your isosceles stance making holes in paper you're shooting but you're not training.

Yes, you should be training with your left hand. I am happy to see that your injury is not too severe, but the limited severity may be encouraging some undesirable tactics.

Again, I am happy to see that you are still able to consider using your strong hand, or using your weak hand supported by your injured strong hand, but you should also be prepared to use your sidearm weak hand only. With some weak hand only practice, support from your injured strong hand will seem like a bonus, instead of being awkward.

Weak hand only training may also give you a new perspective on some aspects of the firearm. I am left handed, so I do have that perspective, but I find that ambidextrous safeties are necessary for a gun that will be used with either hand. The slide release and magazine release work OK with the fingers of my left hand, but a single sided safety is always a hassle.

I personally prefer striker fired guns with no safety as my "ambidextrous safety" configuration, but that is a matter of opinion. I also know that some people find various acceptable ways to work a right handed safety with their left hand when necessary. So I don't expect everyone to agree on solutions for weak handed manipulation. But I do think everyone should do enough weak handed work to form their own opinions on what works for them.

I can generally make hits with a pistol with my left, weak hand. What I can't do is shoot a long gun weak-handed. I'm right handed and right eye dominant. I've shot a couple matches that had "shoot long gun weak hand or take a penalty" stages. I tried one shot shooting weak hand and then just thought "f*ck it" and took the penalty.

Pistol's pretty easy to learn weak hand. Long gun is harder, well, for me, because its extremely unnatural for me.

Training should include both strong and week hand shooting, and single hand reload, also strong and weak.

When I had rotator cuff surgery on my strong hand side, the only thing that kept me sane was hitting the range and shooting off hand. You get pretty good in short order
This will be my life soon. On the 6th, I am having my shoulder rebuilt for the 3rd time, and this time will be in a sling for 6-9 months. Good times!

This will be my life soon. On the 6th, I am having my shoulder rebuilt for the 3rd time, and this time will be in a sling for 6-9 months. Good times!
Not easy for sure. My X-ray buddy had to resign from work after a shoulder injury.
1.Labral tear repair failed by bad ortho doc.
2.Go in again and fail some more. Now severely limited rom.
3.Needs rotator cuff surgery. Fail.
4.Needs total shoulder replacement with gleno-humeral component. Fail
5. Revision of total shoulder. Fail.
6. Needs fusion of shoulder joint.
7. Doctors don’t want anything to do with him now.

Not easy for sure. My X-ray buddy had to resign from work after a shoulder injury.
1.Labral tear repair failed by bad ortho doc.
2.Go in again and fail some more. Now severely limited rom.
3.Needs rotator cuff surgery. Fail.
4.Needs total shoulder replacement with gleno-humeral component. Fail
5. Revision of total shoulder. Fail.
6. Needs fusion of shoulder joint.
7. Doctors don’t want anything to do with him now.

Reverse total shoulder should be done when the rotator cuff has significant compromise. Just my $.02
Sorry for your friend's troubles.

It did not go well.

Labrum repaired, but rotator cuff was torn in a way hidden on the MRI.

I now have three composite screws holding my shoulder together and am looking at 12-24 months of recovery.
Good luck & best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!

Back
Top Bottom