I plan to send my Mini-14 to Accuracy Systems...what can I legally have them do?

I found that the Ruger 5 round Mini 14 mags work the best for testing. There have been many reported problems with the Ruger 10 round mags. They have had issues with vendors making bad out of spec mags. Ruger admitted this to me and said they have changed vendors? I contacted Ruger CS and have returned 1 mag and threw away a couple more that really Pissed me off. Even the new replacment mag they sent me last year will give me feeding issues sometimes. My 5 round mags work flawless and in 2 different Mini's I own. I also have some pre ban PMI 30 rounders that work well.
Rocco Mozz...........I really hope you can get that MINi running well. Maybe a complete teardown and rebuild is needed by a gunsmith?
If you are keeping this rifle. maybe that company can fix it for you?
Keep us posted

I ended up trading the Mini for an AR complete lower and complete upper now I just need to have all the MA compliant work done. Its a Colt complete lower and a Radical Firearms upper...I'm pretty stoked.

I ended up trading the Mini for an AR complete lower and complete upper now I just need to have all the MA compliant work done. Its a Colt complete lower and a Radical Firearms upper...I'm pretty stoked.

traded a mini for an AR! Heresy! Now how are you going to diagnose and resolve stoppages?

Hello fellow forums-goers,

I am planning to send my Mini-14 into Accuracy Systems in Colorado.

Background: I am having trouble getting my Ruger Mini-14 from '86 to run smoothly. Originally I had some 30 round aftermarket magazines which led to a broken firing pin, the rifle was safely removed from the firing line and was repaired by a gunsmith. The 'smith replaced the firing pin, extractor, and some other relevant internals. All said and done, the mini ran decently well afterwards with 30 round Ruger factory magazines, but even with a thorough cleaning with tetra oil I still have run into failure-to-extract errors and jammed rounds. I have heard that 20 round magazines are the way to go. I am going to purchase some in October, but if this doesn't work I want to try one more thing before putting the Mini-14 away and keeping it as a collector's item.

The Problem: I do not know what is going on with the Mini-14, as I am a relatively inexperienced new gun owner. I just got my license to carry last December, and I do not have the experience to diagnose the problem myself. I am strongly considering sending the rifle to Accuracy Systems in Colorado so they can once and for all figure out the problem. My only issue is that I do not know the legality of modifying this rifle out of state and then returning it to MASS, especially since it is preban and has a folding stock.

I was hoping some people with more experience and knowledge of this subject would be able to help me understand which modifications I can make and, before throwing the baby out with the bath water, recommend diagnostics I can do myself to try to get to the bottom of this before I shell out major dough trying to figure out the problem. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter.
1581813233475.png

traded a mini for an AR! Heresy! Now how are you going to diagnose and resolve stoppages?
It is heresy but the dark deed is done. I definitely want to grab another Mini in the future but the opportunity for a solid lower and a complete upper was too great to pass up. Grabbing a GB SS Mini and then popping on a Samson folding stock would be chill...but for now I have to venture into AR land unencumbered by “trader’s remorse.”

Last edited:
It is heresy but the dark deed is done. I definitely want to grab another Mini in the future but the opportunity for a solid lower and a complete upper was too great to pass up. Grabbing a GB SS Mini and then popping on a Samson folding stock would be chill...but for now I have to venture into AR land unencumbered by “trader’s remorse.”

nonsense! only the mini 14 can launch brass hard enough to wound everyone on the right half of the range! “Sorry guys it’s my mini 14 but I’ve got a first aid kit in the truck!” Silly AR ejects normally...nobody wants that!

/sarc

oh as a mini 14 collector and nerd I dig the rifle but still mock it...Ruger‘s work is too bizarre to take it seriously. Well if you ever end up with $2k burning a hole in the pocket I implore you to let Carl at Accuracy Systems build your mini 14. Truly a work of art.

Back
Top Bottom