• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I posted in WTB but....

editing to keep from getting thwacked by mods due to inadvertent rule breakage...

I'm planning on getting a Rem 11-87 Compact in 20ga to try and get my 10yo son and wife into clay shooting. my boy is a bit small for his age and I want a light gauge semi to keep the recoil as manageable as possible and my wife isn't all that strong so a lighter gun would help her. the adjustable LOP setup looks like a good option for something that might work for him now and grow with him for a bit. figure I could max that out and toss a longer barrel on it and let my wife use it every now and again....or just buy her her own gun if she takes a liking to the sport. I know a bunch of you have probably gone through similar things with your family, any advice on my plan (the "plan" being to get a tiny 20ga semi to try and get my family to come to the fields with me).

Thanks,
Peter

Last edited:
Your "plan" violates the rules. I feel the same way about my training classes, having had numerous people say to me "oh, I never look in that forum", but the rules are the rules and I try to abide by them anyway.

You can go to the WTB section and see how many people have viewed your ad.

Personally I always open "new posts" which shows every thread that has had a new post entered and then based on the thread subject I either open it or ignore it. I know that others do something different.

editing to keep from getting thwacked by mods due to inadvertent rule breakage...

I'm planning on getting a Rem 11-87 Compact in 20ga to try and get my 10yo son and wife into clay shooting. my boy is a bit small for his age and I want a light gauge semi to keep the recoil as manageable as possible and my wife isn't all that strong so a lighter gun would help her. the adjustable LOP setup looks like a good option for something that might work for him now and grow with him for a bit. figure I could max that out and toss a longer barrel on it and let my wife use it every now and again....or just buy her her own gun if she takes a liking to the sport. I know a bunch of you have probably gone through similar things with your family, any advice on my plan (the "plan" being to get a tiny 20ga semi to try and get my family to come to the fields with me).

Thanks,
Peter

Get this, have the stock modified to be adjustable for LOP, and then don't look back. http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Beretta-J40AA88-A400-ACTION-28%7B47%7D28-BL%7B47%7DWD-2.75-82442709109.html?google=1

Believe me if he was chomping at the bit to come bust clays with the old man then I'd gladly find the funds for something like this. Unfortunately he's now saying he doesn't even want to try at all and making me re-think the whole thing. Pretty sure he just doesn't want anything cutting into his video game time but there's a change coming on that front that might change that tune [shocked]

Believe me if he was chomping at the bit to come bust clays with the old man then I'd gladly find the funds for something like this. Unfortunately he's now saying he doesn't even want to try at all and making me re-think the whole thing. Pretty sure he just doesn't want anything cutting into his video game time but there's a change coming on that front that might change that tune [shocked]

Add a coin slot to his gaming rig...

Beretta used to make a Youth gun called a 3901 Target, adjustable length of pull from 12" to 13.5" also adjust for cast and drop. If you can find a used one you can't go wrong.

SKB has a current production Youth model IS300: https://www.skbshotguns.com/Shotguns/IS300.php

Both of those are 12GA guns, but are perfectly suited for smaller folk.

I have one of the Beretta's if your interested in checking it out.

Beretta used to make a Youth gun called a 3901 Target, adjustable length of pull from 12" to 13.5" also adjust for cast and drop. If you can find a used one you can't go wrong.

SKB has a current production Youth model IS300: https://www.skbshotguns.com/Shotguns/IS300.php

Both of those are 12GA guns, but are perfectly suited for smaller folk.

I have one of the Beretta's if your interested in checking it out.

I will add light guns are not well suited when shooting 25 rounds or more.
The kid and wife may not be strong now. With some time and use their muscles will strengthen. She r e talking less than 10 pounds. Your wife tossed your son around pretty well at 10lbs. If they are interested they will over come.
The Beretta 3901 is a great choice. Although the Pitch of the shotgun is IMHO the most important angle of shot gun fit then comb height. The Beretta 3901 covers this at the least expensive route.
Also 20g does not equal less recoil . A 20g 1 1/8oz shell will produce the same recoil as a 12g 1 1/8 shell if the guns are the same weight.
For me I shoot trap with 1oz loads back to the 20 yard line with a 10lb O/U the difference between 1 1/8 and 1oz = about 5lb of energy.

Do not mention recoil or anything remote to kick , I had to get a semi custom stock for my wife as her small hand prevented her from getting a grip at the wrist and still reaching the trigger.
Wenig custom stock. I got the new American trap stock for myself and the ladies trap stock for her. Huge improvement. With my wife I told her the green shells are the low power ones. No recoil issues.

http://www.wenig.com/technical-info

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom