• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I think I made a mistake.

roccoracer

NES Member
I was so excited to see .440 lead balls for sale at a local antique store I bought them without thinking. I purchased a .44 navy cap and ball revolver last year. The dealer gave me a handful of balls to try it out so I didn't see the size. I should have looked up the ball size before I bought the box.
The box is a box of 100 Hornady #6040 .440. Can I use them in my .44 Navy?

No expert, but I think you need a .441 ball in a revolver. 440 is for.45 rifles with a patch. I will be corrected if wrong....

I was so excited to see .440 lead balls for sale at a local antique store I bought them without thinking. I purchased a .44 navy cap and ball revolver last year. The dealer gave me a handful of balls to try it out so I didn't see the size. I should have looked up the ball size before I bought the box.
The box is a box of 100 Hornady #6040 .440. Can I use them in my .44 Navy?
You actually need a .451 ball for a 44 navy revolver.

No expert, but I think you need a .441 ball in a revolver. 440 is for.45 rifles with a patch. I will be corrected if wrong....
It's actually a. 451 ball for 44 navy. You shear off a ring of lead when loading it.

.440 is for a .45 rifle. It uses an undersized ball because of the cloth patch. .44 cap & ball revolvers use .451, .454 and sometimes .457. Can't you return them and get the right size?

Just use a hammer and whack em in real good. That'll expand them to fit correctly.

An older gent told me a story of an older friend of his who grew up dirt-poor out in Western mASS. Dad would give him X bullets and tell the son to come back with X game. Not X-1 or X-2. X. Or there would be hell to pay.

He and the dad would go bird hunting with a BP shotgun. If the old man saw a deer (keep in mind this is 100 or so years ago - WTF is a season??), he'd roll a lead ball down the bbl.

Roll the ball down the bbl! I guess. And then hope it doesn't move fwd slightly and create an interesting obstruction. Never heard that the old man had blown up any firearms so I guess it was fine. But damn. ROLL the ball. LOL

I went lookin for food for this yesterday and had no luck. ... I’ll trade ya for a box of Speer .457 RB if you’re in central Mass.
I'm in Western mass.
EkAxYuAWoAE3Qcd.jpg

Just use a hammer and whack em in real good. That'll expand them to fit correctly.

An older gent told me a story of an older friend of his who grew up dirt-poor out in Western mASS. Dad would give him X bullets and tell the son to come back with X game. Not X-1 or X-2. X. Or there would be hell to pay.

He and the dad would go bird hunting with a BP shotgun. If the old man saw a deer (keep in mind this is 100 or so years ago - WTF is a season??), he'd roll a lead ball down the bbl.

Roll the ball down the bbl! I guess. And then hope it doesn't move fwd slightly and create an interesting obstruction. Never heard that the old man had blown up any firearms so I guess it was fine. But damn. ROLL the ball. LOL
Today, you just have to cut the plastic near the brass. Turns birdshot or buckshot into a slug.

Back
Top Bottom