• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I used to love this Forum

but this new software 'upgrade' is making it difficult to read.

The thing is, NES used to be beautiful.

I know...nobody cares what Wendell thinks...and the owner of NES will do whatever he wants, etc...but I've seen a lot of different forums, over the years, completely ruined by a software 'upgrade'. More annoyance, fewer people, fewer posts, leading to a dead forum.

I'm not optimistic.

High button shoes were nice in their day. Change is difficult but that's life. Lots of us are bummed out and after a while it will be fine. Hang in there.

I think it's all still too new to try to make an objective call as to which is better. All I know is that I can still post and read posts, which is good. I do miss seeing the 10 or so most recent classified ads on the home page, though in fairness they might still be somewhere and I just haven't found them.

Maybe I am missing something, but I really don't understand what all of the complaints are about. This new software is real easy to get acquainted with, and I am by no means a young tech savvy hipster.
Besides, Marines are told to improvise, adapt and overcome.

It's harder for me to read and lots of the complaints are of people commenting about features that they used every day are no longer available. It's not a matter of just changing a few settings.

Maybe I am missing something, but I really don't understand what all of the complaints are about. This new software is real easy to get acquainted with, and I am by no means a young tech savvy hipster.
That’s right highway

NES added the membership details to the avatar (join date, post count, rep or 'likes'.). That was my only request, so that we can easily spot the trolls and/or plants. Guess enough members requested that, or it was in the works. As far as I am concerned, new format is GTG.

It's harder for me to read and lots of the complaints are of people commenting about features that they used every day are no longer available. It's not a matter of just changing a few settings.

Been a Green Member since 09. Thousands of posts. The features are there and the background has already been changed to a light gray. I think folks really just need to give it a chance. And as has been pointed out, it is still a work in progress.
The new forum rocks and will just get better with time.

That’s right highway

Marines have been saying that long before that shitty movie came out. And Jarheads hate that flick. Yeah right, there was a Recon platoon in the suck that F***ed off until Clint Eastwood was assigned to square them away. Everything about that movie was wrong from a platoon of Recon Marines who didn't PT, to a bozo who almost shot a major on a rifle range with a nd. I know it is a movie, but Marines look at it like an insult to the Corps.

Been a Green Member since 09. Thousands of posts. The features are there and the background has already been changed to a light gray. I think folks really just need to give it a chance. And as has been pointed out, it is still a work in progress.
The new forum rocks and will just get better with time.
Congrats on being a green member, not sure what that has to do with the threads being harder to read. Since "the features are there" please point me to where I can turn off people's avatars.

Since "the features are there" please point me to where I can turn off people's avatars.
not knocking this feature, turning off avatars, but why would anyone want to turn off the avatars? i think it's the way most people can quickly identify a poster at a glance. at least the regular posters, makes life easy. maybe for mobile device use?

not knocking this feature, turning off avatars, but why would anyone want to turn off the avatars? i think it's the way most people can quickly identify a poster at a glance. at least the regular posters, makes life easy. maybe for mobile device use?

I was wondering about that too.

Also OP Heads up. If your phone wants to do an upgrade don't do it. Now my phone and the forum both look bad.

Everybody will have a issue. we are not all the same,that is what makes the world go round. time heals all pain we will all get through this. :)

100% agree here...

I was saying 'nose goes' to the suicide watch. i've had to do that before and it's about as fun as watching paint dry.

People get used to their favorite forums looking and working a certain way and change is hard. People freak out if things change and make too big a deal about it. Give it a few weeks for the admins to tweak things and to get yourself used to the way things work.

The change to a slightly darker background color has made a MASSIVE difference for me. It's so much easier to look at now.

I'm a little concerned about the way tracking threads your involved in works, only because I really liked the way vbulletin did it, but I think I will get used to it. I may just have to mark stuff read too, that might be messing with the way it is working for me.

Congrats on being a green member, not sure what that has to do with the threads being harder to read. Since "the features are there" please point me to where I can turn off people's avatars.

There ya go buddy... they put each individual post in a little gray box for you. Does that help? I wasn't having any trouble before but hopefully, your reading difficulties have been solved. I was really just pointing out that as a Green member I support the forum and spend a fair amount of my free time here.

If you continue to have difficulty reading, try sounding out the big words.:rolleyes:

I went and found this for you...
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-for-dummies.14418/

Last edited:
I still cannot get used to the complex color scheme. I'm not the only one either, it is one of the worse ones I've ever come across too. If you are going to have a dark blue back ground, the text need to be grey, not black. The say goes for pretty much all the text here. If the the background is a color, it cannot be black. Also the light grey background, the text shouldn't be a lighter shade of grey, that would be appropriate to have a black text format.

The light blue, almost baby blue text should also be softened. The format of the website still has lots of improvements to be made.....

I think the scheme improvements from when everything was first upgraded are pretty dramatic. I find it hard to believe people have
difficulty reading it at this point. There's other minor whines I have but the scheme isn't too bad...

ETA: in a perfect world everyone would be able to pick their own scheme for viewing the forum... but I don't think thats easy to pull off....

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom