• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I want a big bore Lever gun, Marlin or Henry?

I want a lever gun, and I want it in .45-70. There is two options I'm considering the 18" Henry in 45-70 or a Marlin 45-70 guide gun. The only issue is I will only consider an actual "Marlin" and not that Remington pile of crap passed off as a Marlin

The price of a clean Marlin Guide gun are creeping up quickly, and are now close to $750-$800. I had a real clean one I've already looked at locally.

Henry makes awesome .22s but that's where my 1st hand experience ends. A Henry will be significantly cheaper, but I want a quality firearm.

Intended use should be fun at the range, and I would like to try deer hunting in NH with it.

Thoughts?

Edit: I am making an assumption that either of these firearms would be safe for just about any of the modern hunting loads, is this correct? Are both of these strong guns able to take a diet a modern ammo?

Last edited:
I want a lever gun, and I want it in .45-70. There is two options I'm considering the 18" Henry in 45-70 or a Marlin 45-70 guide gun. The only issue is I will only consider an actual "Marlin" and not that Remington pile of crap passed off as a Marlin

The price of a clean Marlin Guide gun are creeping up quickly, and are now close to $750-$800. I had a real clean one I've already looked at locally.

Henry makes awesome .22s but that's where my 1st hand experience ends. A Henry will be significantly cheaper, but I want a quality firearm.

Intended use should be fun at the range, and I would like to try deer hunting in NH with it.

Thoughts?

Edit: I am making an assumption that either of these firearms would be safe for just about any of the modern hunting loads, is this correct? Are both of these strong guns able to take a diet a modern ammo?

I wanted a Guide Gun for Grizzly defense on horseback in Montana, but decided on a 50 Beowulf AR. I don't know about 45-70, but I did read from the guy at Buffalo Bore that the standard rifling on the 44mag lever gun was not well suited for his super heavy 44map round, because of the slow twist rate, and he recommended a custom barrel.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=54

FYI.

As an owner of a Henry big boy in 357 and 44 mag, I say buy the Henry[grin]

I had been looking at the Henry in .44 MAG but lately been considering a Rossi 92 in 454 Casull as well. I just worry about the new Rossi guns.

I had been looking at the Henry in .44 MAG but lately been considering a Rossi 92 in 454 Casull as well. I just worry about the new Rossi guns.

I don't think the Rossi rifles are all that bad, but I want a buy it once and I'm done, pass it along to the kids someday type of gun. The extra $200 on top of the price of a rossi will seem like nothing in 30 years

- - - Updated - - -

As an owner of a Henry big boy in 357 and 44 mag, I say buy the Henry[grin]

The biggest thing that bothers me with the Henry is a lack of a loading gate.... I don't know why, but that tube loafing system, while fine on a .22 plunker really annoys me on a full size rifle

I do not own a Lever Action 45-70 but it is on the list.

So here is what we have:

Win 1886 - Mag cap 8 - Barrell 24" - Overall 43" MSRP $1,739.99

Henry H010 - Mag Cap 4 - Overall 39" - MSRP $850.00

Henry H010B Mag Cap 4 - Overall 40.4 - MSRP $950.00

Marlin 1895 - Mag Cap 4 - Overall 40.5 - MSRP ????

Marlin New Model GSBL - Mag Cap 6 - Overall 37" - MSRP ?????

So for me when I originally decided to do my research I decided I was looking at the Marlin Guide gun because it was short and the name "Guide Gun" sounded cool. But after my research I felt magazine capacity was a more important feature for me. However I still was interested in the shortest overall rifle with the largest magazine capacity available.

There are youtube vidoes of the henry and the nice thing about that is the relatively low price. But half the mag capacity from the winchester was is an issue for me, however it is an easy top load gun.

I didn't see the new Marlin at the time. At 37" overall length and 6 round mag that seems like a good compromise to me for size and magazine capacity.

So really it comes down to what is more important to you out of all the features each one offers. I only looked at models from these manufacturers as these are familiar to me. So if someone else is making a 45-70 I think it would still come down to the features they are offering and if that gun will suit your needs.

Last edited:
I like the look of the Henry's, I just wish they were gate-loading instead of tube-loading. I've been lusting over a case hardened 1873 Uberti/Cimarron/Taylor's in 38/357 with an 20" or 24" octagonal barrel for a few years now.

Have you checked out their offerings?

ca271-1873shortrfl-20-357-38sp.jpg

The biggest thing that bothers me with the Henry is a lack of a loading gate.... I don't know why, but that tube loafing system, while fine on a .22 plunker really annoys me on a full size rifle

Yeah it's slightly more cumbersome to load but the benefit in not having the loading gate, is that Henry receivers come drilled and tapped to mount scopes (which I have on both of mine). I guess you would need one of those long eye relief setups on the Rossi, Marlin, Winchester lever guns.

Also the action on the Henry rifles is so freakin smooth. Although Henry now has their lever guns available in all steel which I have no experience with, just the brass.

Last edited:
**DRB**;4638808 Edit: I am making an assumption that either of these firearms would be safe for just about any of the modern hunting loads said:
Because it's a such an old cartridge 45-70 factory loads are pretty low pressure compared to cartridges invented in the last 100 years. So yes, any modern gun in 45-70 will easily take any modern factory ammo.

Have you considered the Winchester 1886?

FWIW, I can tell you that the Henry is plenty capable of handling modern hunting loads. I feed both of my Henry's with max charges of H110 powder and have no issues. As Wadcutter said, the pressures with 45-70 aren't that great compared to newer cartridges.

FWIW, I can tell you that the Henry is plenty capable of handling modern hunting loads. I feed both of my Henry's with max charges of H110 powder and have no issues. As Wadcutter said, the pressures with 45-70 aren't that great compared to newer cartridges.

There are few good youtube videos that discuss this. if I can locate them again I'll post the links...

I have always wanted something like this. I looked at the Rossi guns and they're affordable but always wondered if they were well made. Anyone have one?

A fine hunting caliber and a handy and traditional design. But for a fun range gun, I hope you enjoy recoil. The design of the stocks and the size of the slugs make for a memorable thump on the operator side. I think the guide gun has a ported barrel, so your fellow shooters to the left and right at the range can share the wonderfulness. Check the price and availability of ammo. You can probably shoot .30-30 for less than half the price of .45-70, and every Walmart and every Mom and Pop gun shop carry it.
Henry rifles are well-made and smooooth operators. Plus it's a small, family-owned company where you can email the owner and get an answer. Older Marlins and Winchesters are better guns than the new ones.

I have no interest in the winchester, as I would like the option to utilize a low magnification scope.

Capacity is not so much a concern, but the tube loaded feature on the Henry is a slight detractor from its appeal.
I know there are mag tube extensions for the Marlin done by some gunsmiths, but I don't know that its a huge deal with the side load

45-70 is my only conderation. I have a trapdoor and would like to start reloading 45-70. (Yes, I know about specific load data for trapdoors) having multiple firearms in that caliber will help it be more feasible

The Henry rifles are a good gun, the loading tube is a bit fragile and the buckhorn sights just suck. I replaced the buckhorn sites with a $50 peep site set up, 15 minutes of work, and it is good to go. Spend the money and get the brass one, it looks so nice.

Yeah it's slightly more cumbersome to load but the benefit in not having the loading gate, is that Henry receivers come drilled and tapped to mount scopes (which I have on both of mine). I guess you would need one of those long eye relief setups on the Rossi, Marlin, Winchester lever guns.

?? I have a couple of scoped Marlins. They side eject and are drilled and tapped on top. A top ejecting Winchester or Rossi would be more difficult, but not impossible, to put a standard eye relief scope on.

While I do have a few .22s that tube load I am also not a fan. Do not like having my hand that close to muzzle while manipulating the loading tube.

?? I have a couple of scoped Marlins. They side eject and are drilled and tapped on top. A top ejecting Winchester or Rossi would be more difficult, but not impossible, to put a standard eye relief scope on.

While I do have a few .22s that tube load I am also not a fan. Do not like having my hand that close to muzzle while manipulating the loading tube.

I guess I assumed that the Marlins are top ejecting like the Rossi and Winchesters - my bad. But I wasn't saying the long eye relief scopes suck or are impossible to mount, just a matter of preference if you like the scope much closer to your eye.

Loading the Henry isn't difficult but when I'm at the range I have to lean it against the table with the muzzle aimed at the roof to load - not ideal but it works.

- - - Updated - - -

The Henry rifles are a good gun, the loading tube is a bit fragile and the buckhorn sights just suck. I replaced the buckhorn sites with a $50 peep site set up, 15 minutes of work, and it is good to go. Spend the money and get the brass one, it looks so nice.

Yeah the factory sights suck. I also bought a peep sight (skinner sights) but then eventually mounted a scope on both of my Henrys.

i bought an antique Marlin 1936 (not a 36...an original 1936) in 30-30 a few years back, and it is a god damn tack driver! i have no interest in putting glass on it, but even with the old buckhorn sights i'm getting pretty tight groups between 50 and 100 yards.

Most loading manuals publish three variations in .45-70 caliber.
According to Speer 13...
Lightest loads are for the Trapdoor Springfield Model 1873. Generally under 21,000 CUP
Medium loads for modern lever guns (Marlin 1895, etc.), Generally 28,000 CUP
Heavy loads for Ruger Nos. 1 & 3, Browning 1885 single-shot, properly converted M98 Mausers, up to 35,000 CUP.
"Current 45-70 factory ammunition is loaded well under the maximum average pressure of 28,000 cup for safe use in trapdoor actions."

I wouldn't guarantee that all ammo on the shelf today is loaded under 28,000 CUP, so just be aware what you are buying.

Last edited:
I have a "JM" Marlin 1895 and a newer production (2014) "REP" Marlin 1894. IMO the quality of the newer production REP matches my older JM.

I also have a Miroku Winchester 1886 with the steel crescent butt plate. The recoil of a steel crescent butt plate 45-70 is not pleasant (I use a PAST recoil pad when I shoot it)

In addition I have a Uberti Winchester 1873 and a Rossi R92, both in 45 Colt. I have no complaints about the Rossi compared to the Uberti, except that the Rossi's sights were way off when I got it and I had to drift the rear sight to make it shoot straight.

I have a Marlin 1895 in 45 -70 (about 20 years old), fine shooter with factory or handholds, but handholds brings out performance and versatility of 45-70.

My best buddy and hunting pal has an identical rifle but chambered in 450 Marlin. Because the case is belted so it won't fit in older rifles with weaker actions, the 450 marlin factory loads are equal to my 45 - 70 handholds, and hand loading can exceed any performance I can get from 45-70. (Although the actions are the same, the brass case of the 450 marlin will handle more pressure than the brass case of 45 - 70.)

Unless you are into nostalgia of 45 - 70, find a 450 Marlin. I would if doing it over again.

I just bought a Marlin 1894 in 44 myself. I don't like the Henry loading tube, i'd much rather the side loading gate.

I have always wanted something like this. I looked at the Rossi guns and they're affordable but always wondered if they were well made. Anyone have one?
I have two Recent Rossi's. A 92 in .38 and a 45/70. Both are in stainless. Good quality.
I did do some smoothing up in the action and a spring kit. They are excellent shooters.

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com

Last edited:
Another vote for the Henry Big Boy in .357. Loading it definitely has a learning curve. It is a PITA at the line at Monadnock loading it one round at a time.

Back
Top Bottom