• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I want a Nightforce Scope, but do I NEED a Nightforce Scope at that cost??????

Choosing scope based solely on brand is not my approach. The cartridge, host rifle and application should determine it. Nightforce makes many nice optics none of which are worth their cost when I can get similar performance from a leupold, trijicon or vortex for far less cost. The night force SHV line is underwhelming to me.

I have an ATACR 1-8 and it is really nice.. Can't say it is worth the money because I haven't looked through ALL the scopes from the competition.. I have looked through a Kahles 1-8, S&B 1-10(I think, the new one)

The S&B was really nice, but not ~$1k more nicer than the ATACR... The Kahles was really nice as well, but seemed fragile.

I will stick to LARP'ing with the NF ATACR.

Last edited:
From my Long Range Platform thread replies I'm heavily leaning towards a new Tikka rifles to start putting together a new rifle. I'm still going back and forth about building one up or just buying the T3x Tac A1 rifle that's all put together. Either way I'm going to need glass. As the title suggests, I want a Nightforce scope. I've always wanted a Nightforce scope and someday I'll have a Nightforce scope. The question is, do I REALLY need a Nightforce scope.....

To answer that the answer is no, I don't. I hit the 1000 yard gong at Granby using a Gen I Vortex Viper. I currently have a couple of Gen II Vortex Vipers and Leopold MK 5 on existing rifles and they work great at a cheaper price against the cost of a Nightforce. I could get the latest Vortex Razor or even another Leopold Mk 5 for this new rifle and save $1000 over the Nightforce.

So for those that have Nightforce glass, are they really worth the premium? Also, what model did you go with? The ATACR level looks awesome, but the pricetag is, well, breathtaking. Maybe the SHV's are the way to go there.

Damn first world money quandaries.
You want and you can afford then do

If you think Nightforce is the best, don't look at March scopes.
I have only looked through one march scope fixed 40 or 50x with a 1/16 moa dot
Stupid clear and you could aim at the paper hairs hanging in the previous bullet hole!

I was up at Sig a few years ago taking thier precision rifle course. We did the ol’ try before you buy and a dude had a Nightforce scope (I don’t recall which one) and man was it good. Now, the reason why I would never buy it is because it was way to busy for me. I don’t like scopes with super busy reticles with lines and dots everywhere. I need I simple set of crosshairs, that’s it. Luckily I’ve been blessed with good eyesight and can get away with a budget or nothing more than Vortex (non HD) quality type scopes.

I was up at Sig a few years ago taking thier precision rifle course. We did the ol’ try before you buy and a dude had a Nightforce scope (I don’t recall which one) and man was it good. Now, the reason why I would never buy it is because it was way to busy for me. I don’t like scopes with super busy reticles with lines and dots everywhere. I need I simple set of crosshairs, that’s it. Luckily I’ve been blessed with good eyesight and can get away with a budget or nothing more than Vortex (non HD) quality type scopes.
Not all have tree type reticles but the competition and tactical orientated ones tend to utilize some type of tree. When shooting at multiple distances in a quick timeframe the ability to hold for windage and elevation are very nice.

I honestly prefer my Leupold optics over my nightforce ones. The mk5/mk6 is tough to beat.
Leupold can suck a dick for restricting the Mk6 line to mil/LE unit purchases only. I’m not sure when it happened. I think sometime around 2020 timeframe. They told me they were discontinued, but they’re still on their website and I’ve heard of units doing purchases still.

And their Mk 5HDs have been out of stock for mil private discount sales for a long time anyway. Hell, I’ll probably still pick one up with a Tremor 3 when they finally come back in stock. But man, their up-pricing to add illumination is pretty silly.

Leupold can suck a dick for restricting the Mk6 line to mil/LE unit purchases only. I’m not sure when it happened. I think sometime around 2020 timeframe. They told me they were discontinued, but they’re still on their website and I’ve heard of units doing purchases still.

And their Mk 5HDs have been out of stock for mil private discount sales for a long time anyway. Hell, I’ll probably still pick one up with a Tremor 3 when they finally come back in stock. But man, their up-pricing to add illumination is pretty silly.

I think thats kinda how they phase out dated product, they did the same thing with the mark 4, they continue to fullfill mil/le orders that adhere to a contract, but they've moved on to bigger and better.

I think thats kinda how they phase out dated product, they did the same thing with the mark 4, they continue to fullfill mil/le orders that adhere to a contract, but they've moved on to bigger and better.
I kind of figured that, but they don’t even have a Mk6 replacement out. Well, an LPVO one anyway.

Back
Top Bottom