• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I was bored…

I submitted the rebate for the LDG unun last night and got a shipping notice on that, too. Hopefully I'm already gone for WFD before it gets here so I'm not tempted to add another activity to the weekend.

I got the 9:1 UNUN to give random wire antennas a try. I love how they're random, as long as you choose one of the very specific lengths.

It's gonna be like Christmas over here.

I got the 9:1 UNUN to give random wire antennas a try.

I might have to pick up something like that, but I’m not sure I see myself hanging wire in the trees anytime soon. This was in this month’s QST, lots of ways to go.

Attachments

• 5AC0C1C9-E8BD-4133-B500-A76AF91E1E5D.png
    5AC0C1C9-E8BD-4133-B500-A76AF91E1E5D.png
    1 MB · Views: 10
I might have to pick up something like that, but I’m not sure I see myself hanging wire in the trees anytime soon. This was in this month’s QST, lots of ways to go.
Someone sent me that, too. Oddly enough, the way people use them doesn't seem to match up with that ad. I almost got the 4:1 which is commonly used with off center fed dipoles. But the random wires are (allegedly) more amenable to slopers so you don't need to get the whole thing way up in the air.

I'm not a fan of using the coax as the counterpoise so I'll be looking to run a wire on the GND side too, but I have a feeling it's going to take some experimenting that I don't want to do in the deep snow.

I really need to join ARRL to get QST.

I got the FT-818ND, tuner and battery today. I bought a fake Pelican case from HarborFreight and got almost everything in it that I wanted. I couldn't get the tuner to fit, but that's okay. I'm going to look for an EVA case for that.

Bottom Layer: Mic, Power Cable, Headphones, CW Paddles, Battery (two layers tall).

1674784821892.png

Top Layer: Radio, Battery.

1674784885506.png

Not shown are the rubber duck antennas they include. I stuck those underneath everything.

Now that this is all done, I'm thinking about mounting the mic clip to the box somewhere, possibly even on the exterior. I hate having the mic running wild on me.

Those with a keen eye will notice this is an FT-817. Mine is charging so I used my friend's to lay out the cuts in the foam. They're exactly the same exterior dimensions.

That actually means it's got "enough battery power". My experience with this radio is that "enough battery power" is enough if you're already walking over to the charger. The battery life on it sucks, many disappoint.

View attachment 627349

ETA: You get a few hours on receive, maybe 5 hours if you're listening to a frequency nobody uses. If you plan to actually use it, buy more batteries.
I run mine on low power. I get maybe 1.5 to 2 days of use with light transmitting. The battery indicator is very inaccurate. I run it until it shuts off, then I swap packs. It's not my FT60, but it's tolerable. My old Icom 2AT needed daily charging.

I suddenly needed the Arrow 2m handheld yagi to play with in the mountains this summer. I needed to bump the total to get free shipping so I added the hand mic for the FT-70D I've been putting off buying.

Then I had a short length of coax with BNC connectors that I couldn't vouch for, and wanted to use with this antenna. So I threw it on the Rig Expert with the TDR function to see how it looks. It looks good. I ran it from both ends to make sure it gave me the same length and both said 2.581m. Pretty cool that this capability exists in a handheld unit that a person can reasonably afford.

Fun fact, it's really a frequency domain reflectometer, then it uses inverse fast fourier transforms (IFFT) to come up with the impulse and step responses.

I finally got to use my Arrow 3 element 2m yagi. The elements have a manufacturing defect so they aren't tight to the threaded inserts. They sent me a new set that I believe is stuck in the snow in Cheyenne, WY so I tried it out as is. They don't fall off, but I imagine they will sometime.

My buddy is about 6 miles away as the bananas fly and he could copy me at 0.5w FM (from an HT), but not great. At 5w he was receiving me S9+40. I forget what his antenna is, maybe a 9 element yagi, so there's some cheating going on. But overall the thing worked great. With the Signal Stuff whip my squelch only opened for a few words here and there. Once we had the antennas aligned the speaker almost shook the HT out of my hand he came in so strong.

After we were done I threaded a scrap of wood for a 1/4-20 screw and mounted it on a camera tripod. Proof of concept worked, now I need to make something a little better. Maybe just tap a hole right into the beam itself.

Once I get the new elements and I'm sure I get to keep the old ones, I'll build a second and fool around with stacking them just to see what that does. And/or make one that separates in the middle for smaller packing. I should have gotten the backpack model, but it was an impulse buy.

you f***ing guys...civilians read these post too. what the hell kind of radio is this? a little background please, what are you going to be doing with it? can this bounce signals to australia and back? i know you guys like that stuff, bouncing signals, repeaters and such. is this for emergency use or what? come on, give up some info for us dummies.
You might like this you can hear them but they can't hear you. This is pretty cool you get to listen to every radio station in the world. Each green dot represents a radio station just zoom in on it and circle it....;)
Listen to live Rapid City SD radio on Radio Garden

Once I get the new elements and I'm sure I get to keep the old ones, I'll build a second and fool around with stacking them just to see what that does. And/or make one that separates in the middle for smaller packing. I should have gotten the backpack model, but it was an impulse buy.
Closing the loop on this, I got my new elements today. I was hoping for a full set but they didn't send me the one with the matching unit, so I can't immediately make a second antenna. But that was greedy of me. The new elements are perfect and the folks at Arrow made me whole. These antennas are really nice for a good price.

so I bought another ht and my first digital … Yaesu FT-70D. Time to test it out…

View attachment 626936

1)
Silly question. So this one is digital. Does it also do analog, or is it just digital? In other words, is it either/or, or both?

2)
And, depending on the answer, does this vary with other brands/models, or do they all work similarly?

3)
What is the most prevalent?

4)
What are the trends? I'm guessing everything is trending towards digital. Yes?

1)
Silly question. So this one is digital. Does it also do analog, or is it just digital? In other words, is it either/or, or both?

2)
And, depending on the answer, does this vary with other brands/models, or do they all work similarly?

3)
What is the most prevalent?

4)
What are the trends? I'm guessing everything is trending towards digital. Yes?
1. FT-70d does digital and analog. In fact it has a feature where it'll switch to analog if you receive analog. It has some cool digital features I've never been able to use due to lack of friends.

2. Because reasons, digital is for the most part brand specific.

3. Depends. My local repeater supports the Yaesu Fusion digital (AKA C4FM), but I heard a rumor there's a DMR repeater going up somewhere soon. Maybe. You want whatever people use in your area, or what your buddies use.

4. Couldn't say. There are certainly a lot of digital radios coming out, but also plenty of analog offerings.

1. FT-70d does digital and analog. In fact it has a feature where it'll switch to analog if you receive analog. It has some cool digital features I've never been able to use due to lack of friends.

2. Because reasons, digital is for the most part brand specific.

3. Depends. My local repeater supports the Yaesu Fusion digital (AKA C4FM), but I heard a rumor there's a DMR repeater going up somewhere soon. Maybe. You want whatever people use in your area, or what your buddies use.

4. Couldn't say. There are certainly a lot of digital radios coming out, but also plenty of analog offerings.

Thanks for your quick help. Some follow-up questions:

2. It is "brand specific" on the air? I would have thought "digital is digital", but again, this is all new to me.

3. Interesting. Paxton, MA is the closest one to me. I have no idea what it supports. I will talk to some people I know. I would be interested to know what other NES people are using in Central Mass.

4. Sounds like analog is not going away for a while, then. I know for police scanners, everybody is saying they are all moving towards digital.

2. Digital is not digital. They're different protocols, so Yaesu Fusion won't work with an Icom for example.

3. I looked at the CMARA website and they didn't say much about the repeater. Take a look at RepeaterBook, you can filter on all the various digital modes and see what repeaters use. Depending on where you are, it might be worth checking CT, NH, VT and RI.

4. I couldn't say, but there are probably billions of analog radios out there.

Honestly, for getting your feet wet I'd not worry about digital unless you really have your heart set on things like WIRES-X that's basically repeaters on the internet. The FT-70D will do that. I even built a hot spot to connect to the "repeaters" (aka chat rooms) and not found it to be my cup of tea. A decent analog HT could be all you ever need. If you have a 'feng, run what you brung.

A decent analog HT could be all you ever need. If you have a 'feng, run what you brung.
Thank you for this and all the other wisdom you bring to this.

I'm trying to "run what you brung". Just trying to get it working first, so I can listen in on stuff. Had some limited success with that and the CMARA (Paxton) repeater.

Questions: Are repeaters just a way to "repeat" your transmission further than it would go if the repeater were not there? Basically, like a relay for you? Is there a thing where it could go from repeater to repeater? What kind of range do repeaters have? Let's say I want to transmit a signal from Worcester to Amherst. Could it go from Worcester to the Paxton repeater to the Warren repeater, to Amherst? Or does one need to buy a more powerful radio transmitter and just use the stronger wattage to reach further out?

Thank you for this and all the other wisdom you bring to this.

I'm trying to "run what you brung". Just trying to get it working first, so I can listen in on stuff. Had some limited success with that and the CMARA (Paxton) repeater.

Questions: Are repeaters just a way to "repeat" your transmission further than it would go if the repeater were not there? Basically, like a relay for you? Is there a thing where it could go from repeater to repeater? What kind of range do repeaters have? Let's say I want to transmit a signal from Worcester to Amherst. Could it go from Worcester to the Paxton repeater to the Warren repeater, to Amherst? Or does one need to buy a more powerful radio transmitter and just use the stronger wattage to reach further out?
Now you're going into a post graduate class on repeaters. For the traffic nets at 10PM they will temporarily link a bunch of repeaters together for the sake of the net. That's something the custodians of the repeaters do, users have no control over that. I assume Paxton is part of that, but maybe not.

I put it in my response to your PM, but repeaters receive on one frequency and transmit on another. Everyone using that repeater sets their radio up exactly the opposite so they transmit on the repeater's receive frequency, and receive on the repeater's transmit frequency. In the picture below Jim and Tony have a mountain in between them so if they tried to talk directly it wouldn't work. But the repeater on top of the mountain can communicate with both guys. By setting up Tx/Rx correctly, Jim can talk to Tony through the repeater. Notice the repeater's Input/Output frequencies are the opposite of Jim and Tony's.

iu

Now you're going into a post graduate class on repeaters. For the traffic nets at 10PM they will temporarily link a bunch of repeaters together for the sake of the net. That's something the custodians of the repeaters do, users have no control over that. I assume Paxton is part of that, but maybe not.

I put it in my response to your PM, but repeaters receive on one frequency and transmit on another. Everyone using that repeater sets their radio up exactly the opposite so they transmit on the repeater's receive frequency, and receive on the repeater's transmit frequency. In the picture below Jim and Tony have a mountain in between them so if they tried to talk directly it wouldn't work. But the repeater on top of the mountain can communicate with both guys. By setting up Tx/Rx correctly, Jim can talk to Tony through the repeater. Notice the repeater's Input/Output frequencies are the opposite of Jim and Tony's.

iu
Thank you. This helps a LOT!

I did not realize it was 2 different frequencies. I will look at my programmed config and see if it makes sense in light of what you just said.

Where does the wavelength everyone talks about come in (2M, 20M, etc.)?

Thanks again.

I did not realize it was 2 different frequencies. I will look at my programmed config and see if it makes sense in light of what you just said.

Thanks again.
Do you have a license yet?

I only ask because some of this is fundamental info that's covered in the Tech exam (and, by extension, the study materials)

Do you have a license yet?

I only ask because some of this is fundamental info that's covered in the Tech exam (and, by extension, the study materials)
No, not yet. I don't consider myself ready for that yet. I'm trying to learn some of the basics before starting into that. But thank you for the info. I am hoping when I begin, some of this will help me once I begin that.

No, not yet. I don't consider myself ready for that yet. I'm trying to learn some of the basics before starting into that. But thank you for the info. I am hoping when I begin, some of this will help me once I begin that.
Gotcha. We all learn different ways, definitely do what's best for you.

The good news is that a lot of these basics are covered in that study material. The first exam (technician, which I also still need to take) is designed to get you just enough knowledge to be able to get in the air. Much of the real learning happens right after that, when you can actually broadcast. Until then, it's easy for this theoretical stuff to seem overwhelming.

On that topic, I should go do a practice test, and see when there's an exam near me...

Right. I just want to dip my toes in the water first, and decide whether I even want to move forward. I'm taking some baby steps on the learning curve. Just want to get on the air listening for now, and see what others are doing, and how they do it. Don't know my way around any of the frequency or wavelength stuff yet. Just trying to pick up on the lingo and terminology, and a little on what exists nearby my area (Central Mass). I'm certain there are other likeminded people in the area, so maybe we can help one another.

Thanks again.
The simplest answer is wavelength is about 300/f where f is frequency in MHz. So the 2m band is 144-148MHz.

300 comes from the speed of light (and radio) in millions of meters/sec. So 300,000,000/144,000,000 => 300/144 or about 2m.

And yes, this is all in the Tech question pool.

Thanks again. I will have to start looking at this "tech question pool". Is it just a bunch of questions and answers, or is it presented in a progressive order? I guess at least I know which questions to ask going forward, which was kind of my reasoning on doing it like this; besides not having anything else to go by.

This is a free study guide. It's geared at the questions and basically puts some material around them. I didn't know about these until it was too late, but people love them. He even greys out the wrong answers so you don't accidentally learn the wrong answers.

I just flipped through it a bit and it doesn't get very heavy into anything. It basically introduces you to some concepts, then goes through the applicable questions. It's surprising how many questions were "When will I ever need to know this?" when I learned them, and now I use a lot of it all the time.

Right. I just want to dip my toes in the water first, and decide whether I even want to move forward. I'm taking some baby steps on the learning curve. Just want to get on the air listening for now, and see what others are doing, and how they do it. Don't know my way around any of the frequency or wavelength stuff yet. Just trying to pick up on the lingo and terminology, and a little on what exists nearby my area (Central Mass). I'm certain there are other likeminded people in the area, so maybe we can help one another.

There's a few things here though....

-honestly just pound the question pools till you pass reliably. (use online test generators till you are only getting a couple wrong) Then actually take the test. If you can't commit to doing that, the rest of it is a non starter, and its not that big of a deal. I passed before you could use a computer to generate the tests. this is a committment about maybe 4-8 hrs total depending on how slow someone is upstairs and maybe $15 or whatever the rate is now for a test session.

-People get into radio for different reasons. There's also different motives and personalities on the air as well. It's no different than the archetypes at the range, for that
matter. Amateur radio has its own set of fudds and karens too, but thankfully a lot of those pricks have died off. There are different regimes of operation as well, things like 2M FM can even vary repeater from repeater, but then you have HF operations and all that comes with that, the Clowntesters vs DXers vs ragchewers etc but IMO everyone has their place. (and as annoying as contests are to me, I like them existing because they drive the state of the art on the equipment end especially on hte high end. A lot of the nicer gear ive ever used would not exist if not for contesters.

-Like anything else you're only going to get out of it what you put into it. If you don't have a technical mind or interest in building that skillset you are going to be stunted a little bit. A self starting attitude is necessary probably more now than ever becasue of the increased value of time and the lack of people teaching others how to do stuff. Like when I was a kid through lots of burns and trial and error I learned how to solder a coax connector, but if it wasnt for having other radio-mentor type people arond I wouldnt know things like "in a generic sense, how an AC to DC power supply works" or things like how HF propagation works, or the generic effects of adding capacitance or inductance into an antenna transmission line network to lower the SWR of the whole thing, etc.

I am not the best teacher at a lot of this stuff because I tend to be a pragmatist. I enjoy working the radio or putting parts of a station together more than I do trying to design an antenna or similar. I know what a smith chart is but dont necessarily know how to use it to my advantage, but on the other hand I can hook up something like an MFJ 259 analyzer or similar to an antenna and look at the antenna and the results of what the analyzer is telling me and pretty easily tell you whether you're going to have a great time with that antenna or conversely just feel like ball self punching every time you get on the air.

Also tenancity to some degree is also a requirement. The antennas dont put themselves up. Also RFI isnt just going to go away if thats an issue (mainly these days its more received than
transmitted, f***ing pot grow lamps shattering the bands). Also the difficult thing now is radio requires time. This is one of the reasons its more difficult now than ever for people
to really operate and improve their stations. Because some broad wont leave them alone long enough to do something. Also at some level with some things in radio you have to
sort of get pissed off enough to do something about it. Like for example if I had S9 of noise filling my neighborhood I'd have my mobile set up already and just drive somewhere else when I want to operate. Or get a radio like a 705 and go hike up on a big friggan hill somewhere on a saturday and throw a line into the trees or something. (hilltopping actually can be pretty fun, and can be the less-shit version of QRP, altitude can do a lot to make up for lack of output power in a lot of cases. )

If you find yourself sucked in though, it does keep you
busy. And at least what I call the "back 40" of things is skinflint friendly, although not quite as cheap as it used to be. AKA, building antennas, etc. The gear itself... can last a long assed
time if you make good choices.

There's also a bunch of personality archetypes in amateur radio. I tend to stay away from the boring straight laced hall monitor watching paint dry types but I understand and respect where they come from and can play nice with them doing community service or a traffic net or whatever. But those aren't the dudes I'm going to be having conversations with about things like "that guy you knew that built a 4CX10000 amp just becuase he could, to destroy the a**h***s jamming him" The rebels, the discreet ones with knowledge are often the greatest people you will ever meet or read stuff from. (Like as an example, Rich Measures, may he rest in peace, AG6K.... that man was a god among men WRT amplifiers, and both "amateur and otherwise" amp operators benefited from his knowledge and research on the topic. ) My radio reality is more "big tent". I've been licensed since 1994 but probably spent an equal amount of time on places like 11M outband talking to hams there (sans their calls obviousy, using cb "numbers" or even just a name an a location "hey operator Jim number 39 from Odessa, are you out there?" lol) during peak skywave because they know that 10M basically sucks in terms of participation rate sometimes and they just want to talk with some DX stations. I used to talk daily with a whole bunch of guys from Texas a couple cycles ago, it was great. Booming signals, clean audio. Then there are the scanner and SWL geeks and the like, who often have some tricks of their own up their sleeves wrt monitoring, programming gear, etc. Amataeur radio to me is just one big subsection of the tent, but it provides skills and a base for the rest of it as well.

Sorry for the stream of conciousness but its hard to put into words the whole thing.

I think for me it was when I was interested in like CB stuff and I started hearing DX come in after a big thunderstorm or something. I was like "that f***in guy aint down the street, he's at least 1900 miles away, thats f***ing cool". It was even better when I got my first big kid radios like an HR2510 and then later a Kenwood TS440. Later, it would be setting up a longwire to listen to the same guys chatting on 80M SSB or AM every night.

Last edited:
Clowntesters [rofl]

I have the same love/hate relationship. I can see the fun of participating in a contest, but it's really not my thing and annoying when they clog up the bands. But they're good for all the reasons you mention. And thank God for the WARC bands.

My buddy used to be a rover for VHF+ contests and really got into it. He'd setup, work a few people on every band he could, move to a new grid square, repeat. He did very well. That seemed interesting. Then there were the guys sitting at home waiting for him to say "Okay, aim your antenna at 284 degrees and listen for dashes". That doesn't seem like fun to me, but they could just be handing out points. On top of building everything but the radios, he's also the guy who'd be like "Hmm, there's a mountain in the way. Lemme try bouncing the signal off the thunderstorm over Ohio." Right now he's working on a control board for a transverter that'll be up on the mast running his giant yagi(s) he's putting together to do moon bounce. Just because.

For me the attraction is being able to go to the middle of nowhere and talk to people thousands of miles away with nothing but what I carried in. You don't make a lot of contacts, but the first time I was sitting on a rock in the woods running 10w SSB and I got a solid QSO in eastern Europe, I was like ecstatic.

I have VHF/UHF radios, but I have a mental block about talking locally. Probably the same reason I avoid making phone calls.

Back
Top Bottom