• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I was bored…

My great Uncle held a license since the 1920s until his passing in 1983. He was a recluse of sorts. When I cleaned out his house I was stunned at the amount of ham radios he had. Spare parts by the thousands. Old tubes and such. He would be amazed at how the technology has changed. His call sign was W1COX as I recall.

I was bored. I ordered a Yaesu FTM-6000r and a mag mount antenna. I ended up getting a Hustler MX-270, which is a 40" whip.

If I had a dollar for every time I went full circle from the FT-2980r (80w monoband 2m) to the FTM-6000r (50w VHF/UHF), to the super deluxe FTM-400XDR (50w VHF/UHF plus APRS and C4FM), to the FTM-200DR (50w VHF-UHF with C4FM) to just using my FT-857d, to using an HT with external antenna, back to the 2980r... I could have bought all the options. I finally decided I had to shit or get off the pot, and shit it was.

Maybe one day this week I'll take a peek under the hood and see how hard it'd be to run power through the firewall. I've got an '18 Lesbaru Outback and it looks like some folks use an existing wire loom/hole by the driver door. I'll look around for something like that and/or an unused grommet. For the trial phase I can also just run off my 12AH LiFePO4 battery.

I was bored. I ordered a Yaesu FTM-6000r and a mag mount antenna. I ended up getting a Hustler MX-270, which is a 40" whip.

If I had a dollar for every time I went full circle from the FT-2980r (80w monoband 2m) to the FTM-6000r (50w VHF/UHF), to the super deluxe FTM-400XDR (50w VHF/UHF plus APRS and C4FM), to the FTM-200DR (50w VHF-UHF with C4FM) to just using my FT-857d, to using an HT with external antenna, back to the 2980r... I could have bought all the options. I finally decided I had to shit or get off the pot, and shit it was.

Maybe one day this week I'll take a peek under the hood and see how hard it'd be to run power through the firewall. I've got an '18 Lesbaru Outback and it looks like some folks use an existing wire loom/hole by the driver door. I'll look around for something like that and/or an unused grommet. For the trial phase I can also just run off my 12AH LiFePO4 battery.
That’s a nice looking radio. I have a Kenwood TM-V71A I am planning to install in my truck … I may drill the roof for an nmo mount. I am conflicted on this haha.

Hustler makes some decent stuff. I had one of their hf verticals with the DX Engineering upgrades, it was a beauty. It’s sitting in storage now, one day it will rise again.

That’s a nice looking radio. I have a Kenwood TM-V71A I am planning to install in my truck … I may drill the roof for an nmo mount. I am conflicted on this haha.

Hustler makes some decent stuff. I had one of their hf verticals with the DX Engineering upgrades, it was a beauty. It’s sitting in storage now, one day it will rise again.
Thanks, I wanted something with a simple display so I don't have to decode some minuscule icons. The car isn't old enough yet to be putting holes in it, and I'm afraid of becoming that guy, so for now I'm hoping I can fit it under a seat, snake some cables around the floor mats, and put the faceplate somewhere I can see.

Thanks, I wanted something with a simple display so I don't have to decode some minuscule icons. The car isn't old enough yet to be putting holes in it, and I'm afraid of becoming that guy, so for now I'm hoping I can fit it under a seat, snake some cables around the floor mats, and put the faceplate somewhere I can see.
By “that guy” do mean the ham with 7 mobile antennas and enough aux lighting to overpower the sun?

The 6000 arrived tonight. I just did a quick test running off a battery with a jpole antenna hanging in a doorway. I tested it with a guy all of about maybe 1/2 mile away, and it sounds great both Tx/Rx. It's a lot smaller than I expected, which is nice. The display is very simple, which is very nice. The speaker goes up to 11, the display is dimmable, and the controls are simple.

I am tempted to buy the RT Systems software/cable to program it, but man it's 20% of the cost of the radio. I put the local 2m/70cm repeaters and the 2m/70cm calling frequencies in memory. It's really not that hard, but heaven forbid I want to rearrange anything. Yaesu does have free software available, so I could just buy the cable.

My FT-70d also has the pager function, so I fooled around with that a little. It's kind of neat. You can have it alert you when you receive your preset code, beep to let you know a pager call came in, and a little icon shows you missed a call. No other info, just that someone tried to call you on that frequency. It can also auto call back, so it could serve as an in-range tester. I'm not sure what I'd use it for, but it's good to know it's there. I suppose you could use it at camp with a base station and if nobody was monitoring, they'd see someone tried to reach them.

The antenna shipped out of another HRO and will be here tomorrow. Then I'll be able to go full dork mode with a 40" whip on my car. Watch out, ladies.

Something to watch: It seems to keep turning off. I have the auto power off set to 2 hours of inactivity, but I think it was doing it before I even turned on the APO. Maybe their definition of inactivity differs from mine, but I don't think I let it sit that long. It's not getting hot, the voltage is fine (13.0v). I'll have to pay attention and see if there's a pattern.

I am tempted to buy the RT Systems software/cable to program it, but man it's 20% of the cost of the radio.
The RT Systems software is legit. I have versions for any of my radios that work with it and wholeheartedly endorse it. Aside from making it just plain easier to program, with just a couple of clicks it can pull down data from Repeaterbook - enter a location, radius, bands you want (2m, 70cm, etc.), and it imports to the file. Delete the repeaters you don't want, and you're good to go.

The RT Systems software is legit. I have versions for any of my radios that work with it and wholeheartedly endorse it. Aside from making it just plain easier to program, with just a couple of clicks it can pull down data from Repeaterbook - enter a location, radius, bands you want (2m, 70cm, etc.), and it imports to the file. Delete the repeaters you don't want, and you're good to go.
Good to know. It's not super hard to program, but I did pick it up to use on car trips, so I may need to add a bunch. I'm spoiled that our local repeater has about 125 mile range and covers everywhere I usually go.

I put the Hustler on the roof tonight and hooked up the Rig Expert. I'm hoping I can shorten it a hair and move the SWR dip to the right. If so, I can't be mad at that match, on 2m anyway.

1668050407613.jpeg

1668050428012.jpeg

In the original vein of this thread...

I was about to go for a walk, listen to my CW practice, and stretch my legs after a long day of sitting on my ass. I got dressed, went to grab a coat... sike, it's pouring. Back on my ass, scrolling through Twitter.

Then I come across a picture of someone's brand new FT-818ND. For shits I do a quick search of all my usual online stores, expecting the same "Out of Stock" results. Nope, Gigaparts had it in stock. I paused for about one minute to make sure this wasn't a stupid impulse buy. Yup, it is, bought it anyway.

I hope I don't jinx myself.

If I hadn't bought the ic7300/705 back to back I probably would grab one too before they are gone for good. Great radio for the size/price/bands

If I hadn't bought the ic7300/705 back to back I probably would grab one too before they are gone for good. Great radio for the size/price/bands
There's a bunch of decent stuff still around. I just bought an Icom V86 and likely will pick up some other HT in a few weeks. Maybe an ID52 as I don't have anything with uhf now. I always used to keep a minimum of three HTs around to have stuff for others to use.

New !!!! Winter-Fest 2023
Sponsored by Whitman ARC
Saturday Jan 21, 2023

WARC's annual First Best HamFest of the Year !!!
Amateur Radio Flea Market Opens 9AM to 1PM.
Table Setup starts at 7am.
Walk-ins $5. Tables $15.
Raffle Prizes include 4 High Power HT's and gift certificates

ATTN: CHANGE OF LOCATION due to unforseen flooring issue at the K of C
New Location Only 8 MINUTES AWAY: New Location:

Tri-Town Masonic Temple
38 Franklin St ( Rt. 27 )
East Bridgewater, MA 02337

Google Map Directions Link

Talk in Frequency Whitman Repeater 147.225 Mhz tone 67.0

Attachments

• WinterFest Flyer 2023.cleaned.pdf
    47.2 KB · Views: 3
491603_d27a3c2133514f57ad298d35f0e5bbc6~mv2.jpg

I was tempted to get one of the Armoloq setups for my 857D, but I'm really tempted for the 818ND. It gives it the protection but also relocates your connections to the front so you can mount it face up in a pack and access everything. I think I'll see how I use it first before I decide.

Or the side plates from Portable Zero like I tried to jury rig for the 857D.

1000213016.jpg

In the meantime I may just pick up one of the small fake Pelican cases from ChinaFreight or even use a pistol bag.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty amped to get this thing. I lusted over the 817, then really wanted an 818 when they came out but never pulled the trigger until tonight.

I was tempted to get one of the Armoloq setups for my 857D, but I'm really tempted for the 818ND. It gives it the protection but also relocates your connections to the front so you can mount it face up in a pack and access everything. I think I'll see how I use it first before I decide.

In the meantime I may just pick up one of the small fake Pelican cases from ChinaFreight or even use a pistol bag.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty amped to get this thing. I lusted over the 817, then really wanted an 818 when they came out but never pulled the trigger until tonight.
Going to hopefully test this qrp setup Sat if the weather cooperates or I dont go ice fishing.

1674182579682.png

491603_d27a3c2133514f57ad298d35f0e5bbc6~mv2.jpg

1000213016.jpg

Nice, I want to do a portable station around a FT-891 or maybe go all band IC-7100. 5 years back I bought a buddipole setup when I was first experimenting with hf, works fairly well, but narrow band. I think I need real but portable dipole of some sort for such a kit.

Nice, I want to do a portable station around a FT-891 or maybe go all band IC-7100. 5 years back I bought a buddipole setup when I was first experimenting with hf, works fairly well, but narrow band. I think I need real but portable dipole of some sort for such a kit.
I almost got a buddipole setup years ago but my cheapness wouldn't allow it. They do require tweaking as you move around the band as I understand, but you can't argue with the results people get. I've had very good luck with my homemade end fed halfwave and my 857D. The 891 is a really popular portable rig; if I didn't already have the 857 I'd strongly consider one.

I started building a K6ARK sparkplug QRP endfed that would work perfectly with the 818, so I should really finish that up. I think all that's left is to cut a wire for it.

Well balls. After checking obsessively for the shipping info I get an email that says "Sorry, out of stock. Maybe in a month." It wasn't out of stock when I placed my order. In fact, it said "In Stock". I should have grabbed a screen shot, not that it would have mattered.

My guess is they had a few in stock and they took too many orders and I lost the lottery.

Well balls. After checking obsessively for the shipping info I get an email that says "Sorry, out of stock. Maybe in a month." It wasn't out of stock when I placed my order. In fact, it said "In Stock". I should have grabbed a screen shot, not that it would have mattered.

My guess is they had a few in stock and they took too many orders and I lost the lottery.

I thought that the 818 was just discontinued??

By the time you add gear to make it functional you end up spending almost the same money as a 705. i had one and sold it to get a 705.

By the time you add gear to make it functional you end up spending almost the same money as a 705. i had one and sold it to get a 705.
They work out of the box. I may add a CW filter once I get some run time, but otherwise just the side plates for protection. The 705 is a fine rig, just a lot bigger than I'm looking for.

And if the Mountain Topper I've been trying to buy would have been in stock at any point in the last month I wouldn't be in this predicament. Now I'm going to end up with both. Big Ham Radio is to blame here.

Damn, the bastards at Gigaparts had the audacity to send me an email tonight thanking me (again) for shopping with them, and reminding me to come back for all my future needs. Got my hopes up and everything.

I was hoping to have it in time for Winter Field Day, but that's next weekend so no dice. My buddy is going to lend me an 817 to use, so that'll be cool. My 857 is fine with the 12Ah battery I have, but I never run it longer than 2-3 hours at a time. I'm not going to be running for 24 hours straight anyway, but I didn't want to get cut short because I hammered the battery too soon.

I don't fish but my buddy is always trying to get me to go ice fishing with him. I've often thought about going and bringing a radio. He's not into radio and thinks it's dumb, so maybe it's not a good mix. For some reason I really want to operate from a frozen lake. With my luck I'd fall through.

I hope I don't jinx it, but it looks like my FT-818 is coming on Thursday. The tuner and Bioenno battery I ordered are also coming on Thursday. This could be coming together after all.

Back
Top Bottom