I was just listening to a net on 40 meters and the name Dick Bash came up...

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Does anyone here remember Dick Bash, controversial writer of the "Final Exam" books published in the 80s?

I had completely forgotten about him until his name came up but remember the crap and the FCC gave him at the time...Ironically, after his throwdown with the ARRL and FCC, many others (Gordon West, etc) did the same thing with what seemed like full blessings from those organizations.

A little history: https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/I...-magazine-09-september-1980-OCR-Page-0041.pdf

I remember sitting in the FCC office in Boston waiting to take my General and Advanced tests in the early 80s and there were folks in there waiting their turn to take the tests and one of the FCC staff in there went around and confiscated any Bash books he saw. He said they could get them back after they tested. Pretty sure that's not legal but hey, it was the 80s (and the FCC).

Last edited:
I realize this was a long time ago, but has the ARRL undergone a major change since then? I haven't found the questions to be tricksy, and even the ARRL sells study guides now.

I realize this was a long time ago, but has the ARRL undergone a major change since then? I haven't found the questions to be tricksy, and even the ARRL sells study guides now.
I haven't looked at an ARRL study guide in years but I'm pretty sure they are doing exactly what they accused Dick Bash for doing. I know that QRZ webpage study stuff has the test questions word for word.

I haven't looked at an ARRL study guide in years but I'm pretty sure they are doing exactly what they accused Dick Bash for doing. I know that QRZ webpage study stuff has the test questions word for word.
That's pretty much how it works now. I was just looking up a question and hamstudy has the question, the right answer highlighted, and the wrong answers greyed out.

That's how I prepared for my tests, but I did make sure I knew why the answers were the answers. That said there were some subjects I just don't care about and I didn't learn any deeper than the questions.

Back
Top Bottom