I would like to learn to shoot at a few hundred yards

New to this, don't even know where to start. Are there clubs that have ranges of this size? I am hoping some of the more knowledgeable could share some info. thanks.

Seems the max at the local clubs is 100 yds. I would like to get to 200 and say up to 400.

I believe Taunton has a 300 yard range.

yes we do, but to use it you need to qualify. basicaly (from what I have been told, i havnt tried to qualify yet) you need to show that you understand the balistics of your guns and ammo and show that you can shoot half way decent on the shorter ranges.

How good are you at 100 yards?

Shooting at longer distances is no different, except for understanding the ballistics of your ammunition to whatever distance you want to shoot to (easy) and understanding how to compensate for the effects of wind on your bullet (not so easy).

Point is, until you have mastered the basics at short distances (200 yards or less), moving up is pointless since you will not know what you are doing and will be endlessly frustrated.

New to this, don't even know where to start. Are there clubs that have ranges of this size? I am hoping some of the more knowledgeable could share some info. thanks.

Seems the max at the local clubs is 100 yds. I would like to get to 200 and say up to 400.

That's not something you do overnight. Do you have any rifle training? If not I suggest you locate an Appleseed class and attend that. There are a number of members that are involved in that program. I believe that dwarven1 is one of them. I would start there. Once proficient at 100 yards then start thinking about "reaching out". Step at a time. Best of Luck to you!

ETA: Listen to Jose.

How good are you at 100 yards?

Shooting at longer distances is no different, except for understanding the ballistics of your ammunition to whatever distance you want to shoot to (easy) and understanding how to compensate for the effects of wind on your bullet (not so easy).

Point is, until you have mastered the basics at short distances (200 yards or less), moving up is pointless since you will not know what you are doing and will be endlessly frustrated.

This! When you put 3 shots in a dime at 100yds all day, I would look for a longer range.

You could also shoot some cmp shoots. Some are held at 200 yards. Old colony in Pembroke mass for one. Also you can set out to reading rifle and do some nra service rifle shooting. Good thing about service rifle or cmp is the target isn't a dime.
If you can handle your firearms safely and follows instructions cmp or nra shoots can be great fun. I wax happy to at least score all my shots and not crossfire.

Op didn't mention weapon of choice. So cmp shoots where they supply guns and ammo is a good start.

Last edited:
start from 50

> Seems the max at the local clubs is 100 yds. I would like to get to 200 and say up to 400.[/QUOTE]

you do not need even 100 yrds.

Start from 50. If you can make decent group increae your scope power.
Then see if your breathing is not interfering with your aim.

I'd say you do not need long range at this time.

you need good gun, good ammo, patience.

Are we talking iron sights or scope?
I will use Irons out to 200, depending on the rifle, but hell man, I'm not Davy Crockett, I'm using scoped rifles, except for my Garands, I'll shoot them as far as my eyes allow me too.As technology gets better, take advantage of it, but that doesn't mean to forget what irons are about and how to be proficient with them. But anyone here that shoots distance knows, work your rifle with the right loads and stay with them, consistency pays off with solid hits.

I understand you want to LEARN to shoot. Start with a 22 LR and a semi decent scope, if you want one. Read about, and UNDERSTAND how a bullet works. Once your groupings are getting better, move up to 100 yards. Your .22 rifle should be good for 100. Do not change your caliber (and I made sure to write "change", and not "upgrade) until your groups are around 1 MOA (1 inch at 100 yards). AFAIK, there's a decent rifle range up to 600 in Merrimak NH. If 400 yards are your desired maximum distance, look into a sturdy rifle in 223, when you think you're ready. REminton 700 and Savage 110 wont break the bank and will set you up for that kind of distance, if you buy a decent optic (which can easily cost you as much, if not more then the rifle of your choice).
What you are looking for to start with:
- Heavy contour barrel, free floating, if in your price range
- A smooth action (preferably bolt action to start with)
- A stock with a fair amount of stiffness
- A solid scope mount and rings (crucial for your accuracy)
- If you want presentable results, there's no way around good, and sometimes pricey ammo.
- Ask questions. The interwebs is an awesome place, where valuable information is plentifull. Try the forums at sniper's hide or sniper central. There are a lot of really good long range guys who share informations and give you the ability to learn from their experiences.

Take your time. Learn breathing technique, and get familiar with your system.

I understand you want to LEARN to shoot. Start with a 22 LR and a semi decent scope, if you want one. Read about, and UNDERSTAND how a bullet works. Once your groupings are getting better, move up to 100 yards. Your .22 rifle should be good for 100. Do not change your caliber (and I made sure to write "change", and not "upgrade) until your groups are around 1 MOA (1 inch at 100 yards). AFAIK, there's a decent rifle range up to 600 in Merrimak NH. If 400 yards are your desired maximum distance, look into a sturdy rifle in 223, when you think you're ready. REminton 700 and Savage 110 wont break the bank and will set you up for that kind of distance, if you buy a decent optic (which can easily cost you as much, if not more then the rifle of your choice).
What you are looking for to start with:
- Heavy contour barrel, free floating, if in your price range
- A smooth action (preferably bolt action to start with)
- A stock with a fair amount of stiffness
- A solid scope mount and rings (crucial for your accuracy)
- If you want presentable results, there's no way around good, and sometimes pricey ammo.
- Ask questions. The interwebs is an awesome place, where valuable information is plentifull. Try the forums at sniper's hide or sniper central. There are a lot of really good long range guys who share informations and give you the ability to learn from their experiences.

Take your time. Learn breathing technique, and get familiar with your system.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in the OP. with a .22 I can put 5 shots within say 1" ish group.

I understand ballistics very well.

I want to try to shoot further, and was looking for a place to learn this. I am close to reading. What is cmp?

I call semi BS to some of these posts.

I am not trained and can put a bullet into a bullseye from 100 without much effort.

I also have shot iron sights at 250 and slammed 3 plates in about 6-10 seconds. I also shot exploding targets at 800 yds with my AR15 with a scope and hit them. If my local club had a range over 100 yds I would invite you in a second. Dont let these people make it seem like it a huge task. It is not.

I call semi BS to some of these posts.

I am not trained and can put a bullet into a bullseye from 100 without much effort.

I also have shot iron sights at 250 and slammed 3 plates in about 6-10 seconds. I also shot exploding targets at 800 yds with my AR15 with a scope and hit them. If my local club had a range over 100 yds I would invite you in a second. Dont let these people make it seem like it a huge task. It is not.

Actually, you're right. I don't know what I'm talking about, Mr. 800 yds with 223. Let me guess... Out of a 14 inch barrel, strong side wind, on a humid day. I hope you enjoy your time on NES, dectective Riggs.

Actually, you're right. I don't know what I'm talking about, Mr. 800 yds with 223. Let me guess... Out of a 14 inch barrel, strong side wind, on a humid day. I hope you enjoy your time on NES, dectective Riggs.

LOL

Yes a 223 and actually a 16 in barrel. No wind and it was also up hill. Your point?

I love to laugh at experts like you try and make it sound so much harder then it really is. Point aim and pull the trigger. Control your breathing and dont yank on the trigger. Anything else?

I love long range shooting. I have always been good at it and I do not think that it is all that hard. I also do not think that making it sould like this all mighty science is really fair.

No, really, I have no clue what I'm talking about. All I'm writing here is internet knowledge. Just keep laughing at experts like me. You're right...

I love to laugh at experts like you try and make it sound so much harder then it really is. Point aim and pull the trigger. Control your breathing and dont yank on the trigger. Anything else?

Right. It's just that easy.....[rolleyes]

- - - Updated - - -

I want to try to shoot further, and was looking for a place to learn this. I am close to reading. What is cmp?

Reading would be a good place to start. http://readinghighpower.com/

This! When you put 3 shots in a dime at 100yds all day, I would look for a longer range.

Years back, I competed in Service Rifle, and shot a number of across-the-course competitions at Fort Devens and Reading. Those competitions had strings of fire at 200, 300, and 600 yards. At the end, I was shooting at Sharpshooter level. I wasn't able to put 3 shots into a dime-sized group at 100 yards when I started Service Rifle or when I stopped.

A dime-sized group is less than .5 MOA and few rifles are accurate enough to do that. Heck, the first time I shot at 200+ yards, I had shot rifles for less than 2 years and was using a No. 4 Mk1 -- no way that rifle could do MOA, let alone 0.5 MOA.

So I think that your standard is a bit too high.

Last edited:
From what a couple of my buddies tell me, Jose is an excellent shot. Especially with a scoped rifle out to 1,000.
Back when I was an M60 gunner I remember trying to hit the double silhouettes at 600 and 800 meters and just barely being able to see them - my AG usually used the binoculars to walk my rounds in. I am impressed with anyone who can hit anything at all with open sights that far out.

CMP civilian marksmanship program.

There's CMP clinic in Gloucester on Nov 11th. Its $40 and includes the rifle (Garand) and ammo. Its only shot at 100 yards. Its a great day and there are always a few guys that shoot high power there to help.

A bonus is you get all the papers and what not to be able to order from the CMP.

Back when I was an M60 gunner I remember trying to hit the double silhouettes at 600 and 800 meters and just barely being able to see them - my AG usually used the binoculars to walk my rounds in. I am impressed with anyone who can hit anything at all with open sights that far out.

The CMP target has a very large black bull against a buff background. The contrast is perfect. You don't have to have great eyes or be an incredible marksman to get on target. Getting 10s in a wind is another matter of course.

My wife took a CMP clinic at Reading after shooting a rifle maybe 10 times. She was using my Colt HBAR, which was stock except for a better trigger and narrower sights. She hit the target at 600 yards maybe 18 of 20 shots. So it isn't that hard to get on paper. It is, of course, very, very hard to become a master.

Last edited:
are we gonna have another BCaceeagle thread?

when i had my rifle i was doing 1moa groups at 300yds, really without a problem. Mind you these were handloads.

All my rifle was, was an off the shelf howa 1500 in .30-06 with a sporter barrel. It had a basic leupold scope and wasnt that fancy stuff you see in things like magpul art of the precison rifle stuff. really any gun sold nowadays should do 1-1.5 moa at 100yards with off the shelf ammo. maybe a little tighter groups with handloads.

if i was to buy another gun tomarrow, and i really wish i had the money to do so. I would grab either a howa 1500 in .308 with a bull barrel and put a vortex Viper or PST on top of it. Or i would go with a savage in .308 with the same scope. Savage right now i honestly believe is putting the best rifle out for the money. Remington is great but their QC issue are somthing that concerns me enough to not buy one

Back
Top Bottom