• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I would like to learn to shoot at a few hundred yards

New to this, don't even know where to start. Are there clubs that have ranges of this size? I am hoping some of the more knowledgeable could share some info. thanks.

Seems the max at the local clubs is 100 yds. I would like to get to 200 and say up to 400.

I just found a 300+yard spot in the woods up here, it is interesting to shoot at that distance over 100 yards. M1A Scout dropped the group about 4-6 inches below point of aim at that range.

I believe him because I can do pretty close to that with iron sights

1.5 MOA 10 shot group, shot with an AR15 National Match equipped with a Compass Lake Engineering .22LR upper on a NRA regulation 600 yd target reduced to 100 yards. Prone with a sling and shooting coat, NM iron sights
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/targets/pic009.jpg

20 shot group on a 100 yard NRA smallbore prone target. 10 ring is slightly over 2 MOA. Shot with an Anschutz 1411 prone match rifle with match aperture sights, again prone with a sling and shooting coat. Lost two to the wind on shifts that I missed
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/targets/smallboreprone7-5-10.jpg

And I can produce those groups on demand.

.... I need to practice more.

CMP civilian marksmanship program.

There's CMP clinic in Gloucester on Nov 11th. Its $40 and includes the rifle (Garand) and ammo. Its only shot at 100 yards. Its a great day and there are always a few guys that shoot high power there to help.

A bonus is you get all the papers and what not to be able to order from the CMP.

I went to this today and had a great time! It was my first opportunity to shoot an M1 Garand and really my first opportunity to shoot a rifle period. The course of fire included standing offhand, sitting, and prone. Targets included 100 yds and simulated 300 yd and 600 yd targets as well. It was a great day and I am now starting to check out the CMP site more. Big props to the folks at Cape Ann Sportsman's Club, they put on a first rate day. I guess Cape Ann does this a couple times a year and would strongly recommend anyone interested in competition shooting to attend to get a flavor of it.

FYI.. If you haven't had the opportunity yet to do so, watching these videos will be of particular interest. They are obviously geared towards the M1 Garand and the AR platform, but the fundamentals are the same regardless of the rifle.

"Rifle Marksmanship with the M1 Rifle", US Army, 1942.

Part 1

Part 2

Additionally: "Fundamentals of Rifle Marksmanship" USMC, 1999.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom