• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ice augers.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
My head is spinning on the topic. I’m buying one but unsure on which one. Drilling thru up to 4 feet of ice is the norm.

I’m pretty sure I want electric. I was first planning on going with a M18 Milwaukee and a bit. This would give me a tool to also drive tent stakes into the ice but I do have other driver options like using an older DeWalt driver that owes me nothing but it would need a new POS battery. Truthfully if I lost it I wouldn’t shed a single tear. Cant say that on a new M18 tool.

The more I get into the weeds I’m seeing some nice options in 40 volt dedicated augers from Jiffy, ION, Strike Master and a few others. If I add the cost of a good hi torque drill driver plus a bit the cost gets very close to a dedicated auger. I really think 10” diameter is the way to go.

I’m not into buying crap or skin flinting.
What do you experienced ice fisherman use and what would you advise for a guy getting into the sport?

I have been using a Eskimo “Mako 8” for 10+ years. Run trufuel through it and have only had to change the blades; she starts with no fusses. We have a portable 4 man shelter and just bring a drill with us for staking. For electric augers are always mixed reviews.

I have been using a Eskimo “Mako 8” for 10+ years. Run trufuel through it and have only had to change the blades; she starts with no fusses. We have a portable 4 man shelter and just bring a drill with us for staking. For electric augers are always mixed reviews.
Where do you fish? What size and species are you targeting? Ever wish you had or needed a 10" hole for slob fish?

My head is spinning on the topic. I’m buying one but unsure on which one. Drilling thru up to 4 feet of ice is the norm.

I’m pretty sure I want electric. I was first planning on going with a M18 Milwaukee and a bit. This would give me a tool to also drive tent stakes into the ice but I do have other driver options like using an older DeWalt driver that owes me nothing but it would need a new POS battery. Truthfully if I lost it I wouldn’t shed a single tear. Cant say that on a new M18 tool.

The more I get into the weeds I’m seeing some nice options in 40 volt dedicated augers from Jiffy, ION, Strike Master and a few others. If I add the cost of a good hi torque drill driver plus a bit the cost gets very close to a dedicated auger. I really think 10” diameter is the way to go.

What do you experienced ice fisherman use and what would you advise for a guy getting into the sport?
I've got a M18 hammer drill, clam auger plate, and a 8" Nils auger. I never saw 4' of ice in northern MN in all my time fishing there, you fishing on Mars? [smile]

IMO even with a large pike, there isn't a need for a 10" hole.

I've got a M18 hammer drill, clam auger plate, and a 8" Nils auger. I never saw 4' of ice in northern MN in all my time fishing there, you fishing on Mars? [smile]

IMO even with a large pike, there isn't a need for a 10" hole.
Mars no. Moosehead yes. 😂

It’s a 20.00 difference between 8 and 10. Seeing an ION G2 10” for 599 with 2 4ah batteries.

Consideration on batteries. You need to keep the spares warm. I find it easier to keep a smaller (thinner, lighter) lower Ah battery inside my jacket. The 6Ah is a good tradeoff.
I would never go back to gasoline; and NEVER propane.

I've heard no propane from more than just yourself.
What are you using for an electric auger? What would you change if anything?
Changed this year to use a clam plate and ditched the Lazer auger (or maybe it was a Mora with plates to turn it into a Lazer-like). Lazer too grabby--especially for kids and a friend I fish with who is on rotator cuff repair #2. Now running Nils 6" and 8" (if pike). Milwaukee Fuel (but only because I already own it). 6" is really nice when I am teaching kids with respect to boots/legs/stuff going down the hole.
Too soon to say whether I would change anything.

Where do you fish? What size and species are you targeting? Ever wish you had or needed a 10" hole for slob fish?
We go with whatever is willing to bite. Never saw the use of a 10” auger unless your running a vexlar or camera down the hole and jigging. 8” has been our standard from using a hand auger to gas powered.

I use a Dewalt drill on a K-Drill bit...one battery is all I've ever needed in SE Mass...I do keep the spare battery in my pocket in case....

Consideration on batteries. You need to keep the spares warm. I find it easier to keep a smaller (thinner, lighter) lower Ah battery inside my jacket. The 6Ah is a good tradeoff.
I would never go back to gasoline; and NEVER propane.

Why not propane? I love mine (Jiffy), has been absolutely trouble free, every time I am with someone else with a gas-powered one they want to use mine (usually theirs is running like shit though).

Last edited:
Why not propane? I love mine (Jiffy), has been absolutely trouble free, every time I am with someone else with a gas-powered one they want to use mine (usually theirs is running like shit though).
Similar experience me and another guy I fish with using Jiffy Pro 4.
Never ran well. Often bogged down.
Below zero propane tanks have to constantly be kept warm by rotating.

Similar experience me and another guy I fish with using Jiffy Pro 4.
Never ran well. Often bogged down.
Below zero propane tanks have to constantly be kept warm by rotating.

I have the same model, I have had a great experience with mine (had it for 5 or 6 years), goes through the ice as quick as any gas model. I do know that you need to keep the propane tanks fairly warm when it is very cold but I also don't do much ice fishing when it is zero or below (I guess I am a fair weather ice fisherman) so it has not been an issue for me. I had thought about a battery-powered one but figured the cold would kill the batteries and I am also sure I would forget to charge the batteries (versus just grabbing propane tanks).

I've been using an Eskimo stingray gas auger for years but it is heavy.
I'm considering an ion battery auger for next season. I've seen people use them and they're light and drill pretty quickly.

going on 10 years with my 8" nils, and makita 18v drill, 5ah new battery i drilled 24 holes in 28" ice in northern NY to test how long it would last, i keep (2) spare batterries wrapped in a small cooler with hand warmers , its a rare day i need another battery. sold my gas auger right after the first trip i used the nils. other friends have newer auger bits and different make drills and no one is unhappy with them

Went with Strikemaster lite. 8" Love it. Fished Togue on Moosehead, Muskie on Glazier, Salmon on West grand. Thought I'd regret not getting 10" (replaced my jiffy model 30 10"), but So far I have not. Love the weight.

Went with Strikemaster lite. 8" Love it. Fished Togue on Moosehead, Muskie on Glazier, Salmon on West grand. Thought I'd regret not getting 10" (replaced my jiffy model 30 10"), but So far I have not. Love the weight.
Somebody lost one between Kineo and Rockwood a week or so ago. They were on my short list as well.

For the dedicated battery operated ice augers, how long (years) are you guys finding the batteries last before replacement? They are not cheap, couple hundred bucks or more - the ION G2 auger is over $600 (it comes with 2 batteries) and two new batteries would run over $400. Do you need to "cycle" them in the off season? Batteries have gotten better but I know with my cordless drills (Milwaukee and Dewault) if I don't use them much over the course of a year or two the batteries seem to be junk (I assume it is because I have not been cycling them in terms of using/charging during that time).

Last edited:
I don’t know about battery life but it arrived yesterday and this thing is effin sweet!! Light weight and looks well built even if it was sadly made in China.
I bought the quick detach drive and the tent screw driver for it.

Hope to test it this weekend

For the dedicated battery operated ice augers, how long (years) are you guys finding the batteries last before replacement? They are not cheap, couple hundred bucks or more - the ION G2 auger is over $600 (it comes with 2 batteries) and two new batteries would run over $400. Do you need to "cycle" them in the off season? Batteries have gotten better but I know with my cordless drills (Milwaukee and Dewault) if I don't use them much over the course of a year or two the batteries seem to be junk (I assume it is because I have not been cycling them in terms of using/charging during that time).
It’s recommended to store lithium batteries at full charge, indoors/consistent environment, and to charge batteries every 6 months

I use a hand auger, as I have no luck with motors. I use a 6" and it goes through ice like a bullet. I've never caught a fish that I couldn't pull through 6", and if I did I guess I'd just cut line, but I don't think that'd be common.

Back
Top Bottom