ICOM ID-4100

Anyone have experience with an ICOM ID-4100? I am thinking of setting one up in my Radio Room as a 2 meter 70 cm base station. Please keep in mind I am a new guy at this, and any advice would be a big help. Thanks.

Anyone have experience with an ICOM ID-4100? I am thinking of setting one up in my Radio Room as a 2 meter 70 cm base station. Please keep in mind I am a new guy at this, and any advice would be a big help. Thanks.
I have both the ID-4100 and the ID-5100 and I like them both. Overall, unless you intend to use the radio as an access point for D-Star I like the 5100 as a radio better. The screen size, menu layout and crossband repeat are things I use often whereas I have never used my 4100 as a D-Star access point. I would build buy a dedicated hotspot for at home DMR / D-Star if I wanted. (I can hit a local DMR repeater with my portable handset and I will likely be able to hit a local D-Star repeater once I move my antenna to the roof instead of the side of my house.

Currently I moved my 5100 into the house as I dont have a mobile radio in my truck (purchased a new truck last year and havent had the time to setup a radio in it). Im not sure which one I will relocate to the truck

I am looking at the ID-5100 now. Not sure which radio at this point.
Really cant go wrong with either. Like I said, does D-Star gateway / Terminal mean anything to you? Do you have a screen size or mounting issue?

Both will perform equally with a good antenna outside of those factors.

I am still learning about D-Star. I appreciate the advice and information. No screen size issues, I plan on using it as a Base Radio fo 2 meter/70 CM. It seemed like a cheaper way to go, instead of an ICOM 9700. As I get more experience I might go to the 2 meter base radio, and put the mobile in the car.

I am still learning about D-Star. I appreciate the advice and information. No screen size issues, I plan on using it as a Base Radio fo 2 meter/70 CM. It seemed like a cheaper way to go, instead of an ICOM 9700. As I get more experience I might go to the 2 meter base radio, and put the mobile in the car.
Which would you rather run as a base station?
6D3CBF4A-9B6E-4F25-AE5A-ABB60F53ED76.jpeg

Thanks for the picture, that really helps!!
I like both radios, a lot... if space was a concern the 4100 is cool. Otherwise the screen on the 5100 is great.

I’m gathering you’re not into Yaesu given your comments. I own three radios now, with the newest being a Yaesu... mainly because Icom doesnt offer what I was looking for in a HF radio (small,100watts)

For a shack-in-a-box the Yaesu 991a is an interesting radio

Bumping this because I have a dilemma - I can’t decide between the 5100 and Yaesu FTM-400XDR, and also can’t decide if APRS or D-STAR is more important. I’m mostly interested in emergency services monitoring, and the Yaesu covers all the relevant bands. I believe you can force the 5100 to do APRS by doing a few things, but don’t know all that goes in to it. This is most likely going to stay in my office and not be installed in my car, but that may change.

I also own a FT-991A so I‘m used to Yaesu’s dizzying menu methodology, but would really like to try an ICOM, but can’t justify buying a 7300 at this point. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

CG

I went with the 4100, and I like it better as I learn to use it more. I also purchased an icom 7300 which is an outstanding radio. Ham radio outlet had a really good deal on the 7300 a while back. I think it was around $900 with a rebate from icom.

Did you go with the 5100 over the 400XDR? If so, why? Why was D-STAR more useful to you than APRS?

Price. My Icom ID-5100A was $380 out the door. The Yaesu was 35% more expensive. I also wanted to standardize and if I am going to use something like DSTAR, better to use it across the board than have DSTAR on one and APRS on another

Price. My Icom ID-5100A was $380 out the door. The Yaesu was 35% more expensive. I also wanted to standardize and if I am going to use something like DSTAR, better to use it across the board than have DSTAR on one and APRS on another

Yeah - the price difference is coming into play for me too. I'm having so many problems with EchoLink (another thread forthcoming) that I've been leery of getting further into the digital space. Standardization is a good point too, and something for me to consider because I essentially have a blank slate since I only have the FT-991A (and a cheapo Baofeng HT that serves its own purpose). Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom