ID needed in NH via MA?

I did a search for this one, and it didn't pop, so direct me if I missed/search terms I used didn't get the hit:

I'm sure some from MA go to NH to buy ammo to save on taxes. I'm assuming one needs some form of firearms related ID for this purchase, but what of magazines?

You need your drivers license to purchase ammo in NH and not a firearms related ID that I know of.

I've never needed an ID, firearms or otherwise, to purchase ammo or reloading components in NH. Don't know about magazines, but I suspect you don't need one for those either.

Nope. NH is a free state. As long as your over (18/21) you can buy whatever ammo/reloading/magazines you want. Enjoy the freedom you'll never see in MA (unless we vote for it)

I've never needed an ID, firearms or otherwise, to purchase ammo or reloading components in NH. Don't know about magazines, but I suspect you don't need one for those either.

OK, so no firearms ID for ammo, but an answer on the magazines would be appreciated.

See my post. As an aside however, you need to make sure you don't buy post ban magazines as they are legal in NH but not MA. Say for example I want a magazine for my GSG-5 and I buy a 24 round magazine in NH, this would not be legal to posses in MA as it is not ban compliant.

I was recently at one of the gun shops that is very popular with NES members. When I purchased a case of ammo from them, they required my driver's license. As it is a MA DL, they then required to both see AND WRITE ON THE SALES SLIP my MA LTC number.

Needless to say, I was very surprised, and, in spite of the high regard I have for that shop over another matter, I doubt I'll make any more purchases there.

Last edited:
At least a few stores near the border have asked for MA FID's when selling ammo. I recall the Walmart's as one, they ask for ID then the computer instructs them to ask for MA FID (if MA resident), but that was the border stores, not further north.

Jim from Manchester Firing Line has stated in another thread that he asks for FID's from MA residents on ammo sales "since the ATFE asked him to"... but in NH there is no legal requirement to do so. Most stores don't ask, as long as you are old enough to purchase the item. I've never been asked for ID when buying magazines, and only rarely when buying ammo (I guess I look old)...

At least a few stores near the border have asked for MA FID's when selling ammo. I recall the Walmart's as one, they ask for ID then the computer instructs them to ask for MA FID (if MA resident), but that was the border stores, not further north.

This. I've been asked for FID/LTC at border walmarts and other sporting goods stores when purchasing ammo. Although not necessary by law I am sure your argument would be fruitless if you couldn't or refuesed to show one. Just policy.

Most gunshops will not sell any high capacity magazines to Massachusetts residents.

You might get away with it if you went up north a bit and paid cash but if you get ID'd or use a credit/debit card fuggabout it

Corporate policy might require ID; I think that's the case with WalMart or other big box stores, especially near the border. I've bought ammo and other gun related stuff at small shops just across the border and never been carded. Many, many years ago, when buying ammo, I was foolish enough to ask the clerk "What do I need to buy this?" His answer was simple: "Money." That was my first taste of life in a free state.

If you're young looking, they might ask for ID just to verify your age. I've long since passed the point of "young looking." [grin]

Off topic but....

What's the deal with Walmart asking me if the .38 special I bought today (amongst 4 other calibers) was gonna be for "handgun" use?

It was the walmart in Amherst/nashua line I believe. I've had Walmart in Plaistow ask me too. Seems like something that shouldn't matter unless they wanna give me a discount!

Actually the dealer can get jammed up seriously. Federal laws require that any sales they make comply with the purchaser's resident state laws. That means that if there's a good reason to think the purchaser is a MA resident, they need to see and FID or LTC or run the risk of losing their FFL.

Ken

Off topic but....

What's the deal with Walmart asking me if the .38 special I bought today (amongst 4 other calibers) was gonna be for "handgun" use?

It was the walmart in Amherst/nashua line I believe. I've had Walmart in Plaistow ask me too. Seems like something that shouldn't matter unless they wanna give me a discount!

It prompts for that or they are trained to. If it's a handgun you need proof of being 21. if for a rifle/long gun you need to be 18. Why they asked you on .38, and not anything else, I don't know.

When purchasing ammo/mags in a border state to MA, if you mention that you are from MA it's "game on" . . . and you can expect anything from a request for FID/LTC to "I can't sell you ANYTHING!" (I had this happen in Stonington, CT about 25 years ago).

Best to keep mum, unless they demand to see some ID. Many of us don't look like we've been 21 for a very long time, and the sale will go thru just fine (even with CCs).

Just KNOW what you can't bring back to MA legally and you'll be fine.

I used to buy ammo from WW in Hudson quite a bit and was always asked for ID because it is a border town. Since I am a MA res. I just automatically show my LTC instead of my DL because I know they will ask for it. At Riley's they never asked for ID but they are further up the road. KTP hasn't asked when I bought components for reloading.

When purchasing ammo/mags in a border state to MA, if you mention that you are from MA it's "game on" . . . and you can expect anything from a request for FID/LTC to "I can't sell you ANYTHING!" (I had this happen in Stonington, CT about 25 years ago).

Best to keep mum, unless they demand to see some ID. Many of us don't look like we've been 21 for a very long time, and the sale will go thru just fine (even with CCs).

Just KNOW what you can't bring back to MA legally and you'll be fine.

Most of them haven't a clue as to why they're asking for this stuff beyond "the register told me to ask." I tried buying some ammo in the Hudson, NH store and forgot that my LTC had expired and the renewal hadn't come through yet. They caught it and refused the sale. I remembered I had my NH permit showed them, and they said, "Oh, that's OK then." Go figure. [rolleyes]

Ken

I did a search for this one, and it didn't pop, so direct me if I missed/search terms I used didn't get the hit:

I'm sure some from MA go to NH to buy ammo to save on taxes. I'm assuming one needs some form of firearms related ID for this purchase, but what of magazines?

No and No! If any store requires this, it is something they made up (Or, as in the case of MFL, something BATFE unlawfully demanded they do) and not something actually codified in law. Magazines are not controlled items in free states
regardless of capacity, they're no different than a loaf of bread, and Ammo is not much different than buying Cigs or Alcohol.

-Mike

Most gunshops will not sell any high capacity magazines to Massachusetts residents.

Well, this is somewhat of a non starter as I've only ever been into one shop in NH that will "ping" you on this (and I think they do it only to "protect" their customers) the rest all don't care/don't ask... after all, why would they be concerned about what is an uncontrolled item in their state? In NH a "large capacity" mag is no different than a loaf of bread, some golf balls, or a steel ashtray you bought at the flea market. [laugh]

The bottom line is MA residents must rely on their own knowledge to determine what is or isn't legal to bring back into MA.... most shops are not gonna "nanny" their customers beyond whatever is explicitly laid out in Federal law.

-Mike

It prompts for that or they are trained to. If it's a handgun you need proof of being 21. if for a rifle/long gun you need to be 18. Why they asked you on .38, and not anything else, I don't know.

Walmart commonly asks that question on .22, but I can see the same logic behind asking the question for .38 -- if you say "Yes, handgun" the register is programmed to force the clerk to affirm the customer is over 21, and between .22 and .38 the programming would cover the most common "handgun' caliber rifles.

Smaller stores, they assume clerks will use their own discretion and not ask the question of customers who're clearly well beyond 21.

As I would have guessed, most problems occur in Northern MA, not actual New Hampshire.

[rolleyes] I can't be the only NH resident that is f-ing sick of hearing southern NH referred to this way.

I guess I will try and correct once again. Most of the transplants into the southern part of NH are Conservatives who got fed up with MA politics. Most of the liberals moving into NH are retirees from NY, CT and elsewhere and they are buying houses mostly in the Lakes Region and some of the other more scenic areas of the state.

[rolleyes] I can't be the only NH resident that is f-ing sick of hearing southern NH referred to this way.

I guess I will try and correct once again. Most of the transplants into the southern part of NH are Conservatives who got fed up with MA politics. Most of the liberals moving into NH are retirees from NY, CT and elsewhere and they are buying houses mostly in the Lakes Region and some of the other more scenic areas of the state.

+1.... a couple of NH gun stores waffling on the law does not a regional problem make.

Gonzo said:
It's called CYA boys. Which is why there's a "Laws" subforum here. The problem isn't the sellers, it's the convoluted fed laws.

Nothing of the sort is the problem here. There are no convoluted laws regarding the sales of ammo or magazines WRT Federal law. If any problems exist its because of dealers making up imaginary laws, or box stores (like Wal-Mart) acting with fairly stereotypical dumb box-store type corporate policies.

-Mike

Nothing of the sort is the problem here. There are no convoluted laws regarding the sales of ammo or magazines WRT Federal law. If any problems exist its because of dealers making up imaginary laws, or box stores (like Wal-Mart) acting with fairly stereotypical dumb box-store type corporate policies.

-Mike

Not because the BATFE and Local LEO's decide to randomly "enforce" laws that don't exist? That's the BATFE calls up NH ammo dealers and tell them to ask for MA FID's, or there might be problem? The issue is overbearing .gov, not bad dealers.

Not because the BATFE and Local LEO's decide to randomly "enforce" laws that don't exist? That's the BATFE calls up NH ammo dealers and tell them to ask for MA FID's, or there might be problem? The issue is overbearing .gov, not bad dealers.

Other than MFL, which NH dealers have gotten this probe? It's news to me. My bet is that Jim could also get that requirement rescinded, but I can't say that I would blame him if he doesn't want to start a legal firefight with BATFE over the issue, given the relative non-payout of having the issue "corrected". BATFE also tends to "get unreasonable" with pay ranges compared to other FFLs, to put it mildly. They did a similar thing down here with AFS in attleboro, where they basically made the range "log identification" of individuals using the range, in a logbook available to BATFE at their demand. If MA didn't have a law in place banning ammo sales to un-permitted nonresidents, chances are BATFE would have a "logging" requirement for ammo, too.

All that aside whenever I see made up laws, they're not usually the result of things like BATFE coercion. You can tell this is the case, because a lot of times their definition of their made up law seems to change constantly. One day X is okay next day it is not, a month later X is okay, or X is okay only under these set of byzantine circumstances which are not reflected in law, etc. When people were actually coerced by the .gov, there tends to be a lot less of this sort of bumbling going on.

None of this really matters because the overwhelming majority of gun dealers in NH don't make up fake laws, etc. They do business pretty close, or by the letter of the law, so this whole "issue" is a non-problem.

-Mike

Last edited:
There's a lot of CYA and misinformation rolling around out there. Frankly, I'd hate to be the one sorting the mess out, so I guess I can;t blame people for being over-cautious about their livelihood.

I will however say that fanning the flames does not help. I was at a popular NH firearms destination purchasing, (or attempting to) what was clearly, without a shred of doubt a pre-ban magazine for a pre-ban gun. I was immediately asked: "Are you from Massachusetts?", to which I replied: "Yes." "I can't sell you that magazine - it's high capacity." Pointing to the date on the side of the magazine I said: "It's clearly not a new magazine - it's a pre-ban". To which he replied: "It's illegal for me to sell high capacity magazines to Massachusetts residents - I don't want to be arrested"....

The only store in NH I've been asked to see my LTC was a Wally World. The clerk only asked because the register would'nt let her continue with my sale otherwise.

Any other time, including another big box store in NH,it is was cash and carry, thank you have and great day of shooting.

Federal laws require that any sales they make comply with the purchaser's resident state laws.
Sales of what?

Yes, there are Federal laws on sales of guns. The is Federal law on handgun ammuntion is that the buyer must be 21y. A convicted felon cannot posses ammunition (remember the Boston gang member who got a Federal conviction for possession of a single round in his pocket?). But there is no Federal requirement to run a backgound check on the sales of ammunition.

This discussion is of ammunition sales of those over 21y. I really don't think that there is any law here for the seller -- or any reason to assume that the sold ammunition would not be used in the state of sale.

Back
Top Bottom