• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IDPA 2022 Rule changes

allen-1

NES Member
Reading quickly this morning, I noted:

o SSP division capacity increased to 15 rounds
o CCP division capacity increased to 10 rounds
o All others remain unchanged
o PCC10 was added as an optional 10 round subdivision of PCC

NOTE - doesn't apply if behind enemy lines, match director can limit to state's limit; must publish in match book.

CCP power factor reduced to 105

Fault lines
• Start at a cover object and extend away
• Be 3’ to 8’ in length - FLs No longer extend to stage boundary

• Drop and offset now allowed subject to cover garment rules

cover garment:
• Must hide all gear from any direction
• This includes through mesh material
• If the SO sees your gear it is not concealed
This includes peeking out the bottom!

classification rules:
• Classifier scores must be uploaded within 48 hours
• Shooters should shoot a classifier every 12 months
(Does not apply to MA & DM)
• Division specific and equity classifiers no longer expire
• Division specific classifiers for
• Tier 1-4 matches, may be older than 12 months
• Tier 5, must be less than 12 months old

Steel calibration:
• No longer requires a .380 firearm and ammo
• Calibration is done with: 4.15.2
• A firearm and ammo <95PF, if BUG is allowed

Source: https://www.idpa.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IDPA-2022-Rulebook-Update-deck.pdf

EDITED:
Important note from Joyce Wilson:
We will expect all matches to be run under the new rulebook effective June 1, 2022. We are making changes to the website to accommodate the new rules and guidelines and will be sharing more about that information soon.

EDITED:
Here's the new rulebook:

Last edited:
Did they release this too early? It's not April 1st yet.

Reloading Rules
• During reloads, ammunition feeding devices
• With rounds must be retained
• Without rounds do not need to be retained
• Stowage
• Spare or partial feeding devices are considered stowed when placed in a pocket, belt or approved carrier. Hands, mouths, armpits, etc are not approved carriers
• Dropped ammunition feeding devices with ammo must be stowed prior to the last shot in order to avoid penalties

Last edited:
and I was *this* close to building a kick ass 8 shot ccp 1911

Lee Turner runs the annual SheepDog match in Valdosta, GA. It's a CCP only match and stage design includes forced reloads. I don't imagine that this will make him, (or his staff), very happy.
I have a Glock 48 that I bought a couple of years ago specifically for that match.

It’s another piece of garbage similar to the prior version. Some good things but mostly bad. Creates more questions than answers. Generally it’s a poorly put together bunch of ideas someone had. Biggest omission was a section on elections so members can vote in new management.

It’s another piece of garbage similar to the prior version. Some good things but mostly bad. Creates more questions than answers. Generally it’s a poorly put together bunch of ideas someone had. Biggest omission was and there will never be a section on elections so members can vote in new management.

Not the way the organization was/is set up.

Maybe they have a "suggestion box"?

So in order to be competitive...
  • Don't have a rail on your gun for a WML? Buy a new gun.
  • Don't have any standard capacity mags (for out of state matches or nationals)? Too bad.
  • Your best covers the gun but has side mesh that makes literally no difference? Buy a new vest.
  • Your grip had stippling? Time for a new gun.

Also muzzling yourself is okay now in some cases, which seems wild to me. Guessing they did this to allow AIWB?

Why exactly should I stick with IDPA instead of going over to USPSA?

I also love how now you can kindly suggest that shooters follow stage rules but they can't be penalized if they don't. It's a kinder, woker IDPA.

So in order to be competitive...
  • Don't have a rail on your gun for a WML? Buy a new gun.
  • Don't have any standard capacity mags (for out of state matches or nationals)? Too bad.
  • Your best covers the gun but has side mesh that makes literally no difference? Buy a new vest.
  • Your grip had stippling? Time for a new gun.

Also muzzling yourself is okay now in some cases, which seems wild to me. Guessing they did this to allow AIWB?

Why exactly should I stick with IDPA instead of going over to USPSA?
USPSA covers the muzzling yourself while drawing fairly well. IDPA seems to be following suit which is good.

Did they release this too early? It's not April 1st yet.

Reloading Rules
• During reloads, ammunition feeding devices
• With rounds must be retained
• Without rounds do not need to be retained
• Stowage
• Spare or partial feeding devices are considered stowed when placed in a pocket, belt or approved carrier. Hands, mouths, armpits, etc are not approved carriers
• Dropped ammunition feeding devices with ammo must be stowed prior to the last shot in order to avoid penalties
Tactical reloads are back.

I never worried too much about the rules. I just shot them as I saw them and let the penalties accrue. I considered it practice if their was no USPSA match that weekend.

I'm not reading the new rules. Someone please explain:

Weapon mounted lights... All division? That's a huge change.

What changed about stippling? What divisions?

15 rounds is only for Stock service pistol??? Not ESP? Is this a direct attack on the USPSA production 15 debate? Haha

15 rounds is only for Stock service pistol??? Not ESP? Is this a direct attack on the USPSA production 15 debate? Haha
As far as I can tell:
  • Yes, WMLs for all divisions.
  • Stippling can only be applied to replaceable parts. This affects just SSP.
  • 15 rounds for SSP only.

I read the new rules....but couldn't possibly explain them. They took 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

Where are you seeing WMLs to be ok?
From the slide deck linked in the original post:

Screenshot_20220316-085558.png

Also, the rule book uses to specify that only handheld lights can be used. That language has been removed. Perhaps they could've been more clear in specifically allowing WMLs but they instead just removed the language that used to prohibit them.

Speaking of lights, here's a change:
3.10.1 If a shooter is required or elects to use a flashlight on a stage, the flashlight (for pistol divisions) must be concealed and turned off at the start of the stage, unless otherwise dictated in the CoF.

This looks familiar:
8.9.4 Flashlights 8.9.4.1 Flashlights may be used in IDPA competition. Lights may not be attached to the shooter’s head, hand, wrist, or arm in any fashion unless they are provided for the stage. 8.9.4.2 The flashlight must be suitable for EDC or tactical duty use with appropriate illumination of minimum 60 lumens.

This is the ONLY reference I can find for weapon mounted lights:
7.1.2.2 PPDS with the use of only one arm or hand may elect to use a light mounted on the firearm or elsewhere on their body prior to the start signal, with no penalty, on all stages if within the match there is a stage that requires the use of a flashlight

The only thing that comes close, and appears to be what they're (trying to) reference in the changelog is:
8.1.6 Allowable Modifications for All Divisions 8.1.6.1 Storage locks may be disabled or removed.
8.1.6.2 Magazine disconnects may be disabled or removed.
8.1.6.3 Lasers that are incorporated into the firearm or sights are allowed if they comply with all other division rules and the laser is not activated during a string of fire (unless competing in Carry Optics). Tape may be used to prevent the laser from projecting.

From the slide deck linked in the original post:

View attachment 590917

Also, the rule book uses to specify that only handheld lights can be used. That language has been removed. Perhaps they could've been more clear in specifically allowing WMLs but they instead just removed the language that used to prohibit them.
That's for internal type lasers, not to be activated during CoF. I don't believe WMLs are allowed. The flashlight language is horrible but most of the rule book seems to be written by a fourth grader. They didn't updated the appendix with all these changes either.

Speaking of lights, here's a change:
3.10.1 If a shooter is required or elects to use a flashlight on a stage, the flashlight (for pistol divisions) must be concealed and turned off at the start of the stage, unless otherwise dictated in the CoF.
Yup, shooters will be drawing their flashlights and firearm at the same time..in the dark. Much amusement will follow.

That's for internal type lasers, not to be activated during CoF. I don't believe WMLs are allowed. The flashlight language is horrible but most of the rule book seems to be written by a fourth grader. They didn't updated the appendix with all these changes either.
Here's the new rule:
  • 3.10.1.1 Once the stage begins, the flashlight may be left on during the entire stage at the shooter’s discretion.
  • 3.10.1.2 Shooters must retain the flashlight throughout the course of fire.
  • 3.10.1.3 Dropping a flashlight does not incur a penalty as long as the shooter retrieves the flashlight prior to firing the next shot in the string of fire. This rule does not exempt dropped firearms.
  • 3.10.1.4 If a shooter drops a flashlight, the SO may, at their discretion, illuminate the area for safety reasons until the shooter retrieves the flashlight. This will not be deemed SO interference.
  • 3.10.1.5 The shooter’s flashlight may be used to recharge night sights any time after the start signal, but not prior.
What makes you think that this doesn't cover WMLs? To me it reads like they removed the "handheld" language and then kept the rule vague enough to allow both handheld and mounted lights.

Yup, shooters will be drawing their flashlights and firearm at the same time..in the dark. Much amusement will follow.

With SO's standing there trying to determine if they should use their flashlight to illuminate the scene in front of them.

I've shot a dozen or so different ones, including in a proper "shoot house"; low light stages are fun. But they can be tricky, and they can be tricky to SO.

My personal preference is "low light" as opposed to "no light" when I'm working that stage as an SO. I don't need enough light to see the targets, that's the shooter's problem - but I do need enough light to see the shooter's silhouette and to see their gun.

Here's the new rule:

What makes you think that this doesn't cover WMLs? To me it reads like they removed the "handheld" language and then kept the rule vague enough to allow both handheld and mounted lights.
Because nowhere in the rulebook is weapon mounted light mentioned. Most of the rulebook is vague and confusing but IDPA isn't smart enough to have done that on purpose. A WML would certainly seem to comply with the rules but I'll bet IDPA has no idea that it does.

You have to start the CoF with the light in your strong hand.

Not sure if you're joking, or suggesting that the CoF specify.

Rule says:

Because nowhere in the rulebook is weapon mounted light mentioned. Most of the rulebook is vague and confusing but IDPA isn't smart enough to have done that on purpose. A WML would certainly seem to comply with the rules but I'll bet IDPA has no idea that it does.
The official summary of rule changes does mention WMLs - see post #19 above. Also, I'll always argue that that which is not prohibited is allowed.

Back
Top Bottom