IDPA 2022 Rule changes

The official summary of rule changes does mention WMLs - see post #19 above. Also, I'll always argue that that which is not prohibited is allowed.
I would argue the same. But this is IDPA and the last page of their rule change summary states "just because it isn't prohibited, doesn't mean it is allowed". Sadly the rulebook is so poorly written that two intelligent people can read it and have two different interpretations of something that should be very simple and clear. A WML is just one but there are too many others.

Not sure if you're joking, or suggesting that the CoF specify.

Rule says:
3.10.1 If a shooter is required or elects to use a flashlight on a stage, the flashlight (for pistol divisions) must be concealed and turned off at the start of the stage, unless otherwise dictated in the CoF.
Why would that be a joke, it has been the rule for years. I was unaware it changed and the last match I shot last year they started it with the light in the strong hand. This is always the way with too many changes, clubs simply can't keep up. I have a 2017 rule book on my computer and it says strong hand, they changed the rule sometime after 2017 but I don't know when. I'm just shooting club level stuff now.

The official summary of rule changes does mention WMLs - see post #19 above. Also, I'll always argue that that which is not prohibited is allowed.

Their summary doesn't mean anything; the rulebook contains the rules.

I'm not saying that the summary shouldn't be a proper summary - I'm saying that quoting from it isn't definitive - the rulebook is the bottom line.

I would argue the same. But this is IDPA and the last page of their rule change summary states "just because it isn't prohibited, doesn't mean it is allowed". Sadly the rulebook is so poorly written that two intelligent people can read it and have two different interpretations of something that should be very simple and clear. A WML is just one but there are too many others.
True. Leave it to the Wilsons to make it clear as mud.

Why would that be a joke, it has been the rule for years. I was unaware it changed and the last match I shot last year they started it with the light in the strong hand. This is always the way with too many changes, clubs simply can't keep up. I have a 2017 rule book on my computer and it says strong hand, they changed the rule sometime after 2017 but I don't know when. I'm just shooting club level stuff now.
This entire thread is about the 2022 changes to the rule book so I'd advise against referring to the soon-to-be-outdated previous versions. We're all here bitching about the changes [laugh]

Their summary doesn't mean anything; the rulebook contains the rules.

I'm not saying that the summary shouldn't be a proper summary - I'm saying that quoting from it isn't definitive - the rulebook is the bottom line.
I'll just say this and then move on from this topic: when I see the rule being changed to remove the reference to a "handheld" light, when the new wording does not prohibit WMLs, and when the supporting documents specifically allow WMLs, I feel confident that WMLs are now allowed. Others may disagree but we've beaten this horse quite badly already.

Sorry, it's support hand, not strong hand. I thought you were joking, as if you start with flashlight in strong hand, you have to immediately move it to support hand so that you can draw your firearm.

This is from 2017 rulebook, not superceded prior to the rules just released:

3.10 Flashlight Usage Rules
If a shooter is required to, or elects to, use a flashlight on a stage, the default starting position for the flashlight is in the
shooter’s support hand with the light off
, unless otherwise dictated by the CoF. The CoF may not force the shooter to
start with the flashlight stowed on his or her body. The following rules apply if a flashlight is used at any point during a
stage.
A.

Sorry, it's support hand, not strong hand. I thought you were joking, as if you start with flashlight in strong hand, you have to immediately move it to support hand so that you can draw your firearm.

This is from 2017 rulebook, not superceded prior to the rules just released:

3.10 Flashlight Usage Rules
If a shooter is required to, or elects to, use a flashlight on a stage, the default starting position for the flashlight is in the
shooter’s support hand with the light off
, unless otherwise dictated by the CoF. The CoF may not force the shooter to
start with the flashlight stowed on his or her body. The following rules apply if a flashlight is used at any point during a
stage.
A.
Yeah I meant support, I'm retarded, obviously not strong. What did you all settle on, weapon mounted light, yes or no?

Yeah I meant support, I'm retarded, obviously not strong. What did you all settle on, weapon mounted light, yes or no?

We've settled on "there is no clarity in the rules".

I'm hoping that before they take effect in June that they're clarified. Love the "hundreds of hours" that were put into revising the existing rules.

We've settled on "there is no clarity in the rules".

I'm hoping that before they take effect in June that they're clarified. Love the "hundreds of hours" that were put into revising the existing rules.
I'm saying no way on WML. At least not until the Wilson's start selling WML compatible holsters.

I haven’t shot a real match since October! My RSO expired at least a year ago. I’m definitely out of practice. Life gets in the way of shooting sometimes huh? (Divorce)

I rarely shoot anything other than CDP but can someone clarify for me: If I were going to use my Glock 48 would that be CCP, and if so can I load to ten rounds while shooting in MA?

I haven’t shot a real match since October! My RSO expired at least a year ago. I’m definitely out of practice. Life gets in the way of shooting sometimes huh? (Divorce)

I rarely shoot anything other than CDP but can someone clarify for me: If I were going to use my Glock 48 would that be CCP, and if so can I load to ten rounds while shooting in MA?

Glock 48 is CCP.
Current rulebook says 8 + 1.
Rulebook taking effect June 1, 2022 says 10 + 1

Mass limits you to new purchases of 10 round mags.
If being compliant, you could buy 4 mags and Barney load the first mag.

Shield Arms makes a 15 round metal mag and extended metal mag release that fit G48 and G43X, (same frame).

Glock 48 is CCP.
Current rulebook says 8 + 1.
Rulebook taking effect June 1, 2022 says 10 + 1

Mass limits you to new purchases of 10 round mags.
If being compliant, you could buy 4 mags and Barney load the first mag.

Shield Arms makes a 15 round metal mag and extended metal mag release that fit G48 and G43X, (same frame).
Thank you. I thought it meant that if shooting CCP in MA you would still stay at 8 rounds for the upcoming rule changes. I have 4 mags and the proper gear for it.

I’ll probably still stick with CDP anyhow since I have more LPP’s than SPP’s. Last time I bought pistol primers was at the beginning of the plannedemic.

Speaking of lights, here's a change:
3.10.1 If a shooter is required or elects to use a flashlight on a stage, the flashlight (for pistol divisions) must be concealed and turned off at the start of the stage, unless otherwise dictated in the CoF.

This looks familiar:
8.9.4 Flashlights 8.9.4.1 Flashlights may be used in IDPA competition. Lights may not be attached to the shooter’s head, hand, wrist, or arm in any fashion unless they are provided for the stage. 8.9.4.2 The flashlight must be suitable for EDC or tactical duty use with appropriate illumination of minimum 60 lumens.

This is the ONLY reference I can find for weapon mounted lights:
7.1.2.2 PPDS with the use of only one arm or hand may elect to use a light mounted on the firearm or elsewhere on their body prior to the start signal, with no penalty, on all stages if within the match there is a stage that requires the use of a flashlight

The only thing that comes close, and appears to be what they're (trying to) reference in the changelog is:
8.1.6 Allowable Modifications for All Divisions 8.1.6.1 Storage locks may be disabled or removed.
8.1.6.2 Magazine disconnects may be disabled or removed.
8.1.6.3 Lasers that are incorporated into the firearm or sights are allowed if they comply with all other division rules and the laser is not activated during a string of fire (unless competing in Carry Optics). Tape may be used to prevent the laser from projecting.
So has anyone had 100% confirmation that WMLs are allowed??? I was told by a friend at a match on Sunday that they are allowed. I see it's clear for disabled shooters but not for non-disabled shooters.

Because if WMLs are allowed I'm definitely getting a new holster and WML as I hate holding the flashlight on the low light stages.

So has anyone had 100% confirmation that WMLs are allowed??? I was told by a friend at a match on Sunday that they are allowed. I see it's clear for disabled shooters but not for non-disabled shooters.

Because if WMLs are allowed I'm definitely getting a new holster and WML as I hate holding the flashlight on the low light stages.

I've got no clarification on this.

I would note however, that a weapon mounted light, such as the TRL-1 on my carry gun, adds some weight to the front - helps soak up recoil very nicely. I've used that light on my G34 in a night match where WMLs, (NODS and pretty much anything else you can think of were allowed), and it's easy to run.

So how’d you do?
I shot at Old Colony for the first time in a year and a half. Did ok considering I hadn’t shot a match since December.
I did alright back in March. But at the April match my head wasn't in it at all, couldn't hit anything I aimed at... and of course that's when they hosted the classifier too.

On the upside, the gun is running well.

I've got no clarification on this.

I would note however, that a weapon mounted light, such as the TRL-1 on my carry gun, adds some weight to the front - helps soak up recoil very nicely. I've used that light on my G34 in a night match where WMLs, (NODS and pretty much anything else you can think of were allowed), and it's easy to run.

Shot a tier 2 IDPA last weekend, had the opportunity to talk to CSOs and MDs from other clubs. Two match directors, one out of MA, the other out of FL, told me that they'd talked to their area coordinators and WMLs are allowed.

I just ordered another holster from Red Hill Tactical for my G34 w/Streamlight TLR-1. I'l take both holsters and my EDC streamlight, (protac 1L), to matches, so I'm covered either way.

Carry Optics in IDPA has max weight of 45 oz with unloaded mag. My G34 w/light and mag weighs in at 31 oz.

Shot a tier 2 IDPA last weekend, had the opportunity to talk to CSOs and MDs from other clubs. Two match directors, one out of MA, the other out of FL, told me that they'd talked to their area coordinators and WMLs are allowed.

I just ordered another holster from Red Hill Tactical for my G34 w/Streamlight TLR-1. I'l take both holsters and my EDC streamlight, (protac 1L), to matches, so I'm covered either way.

Carry Optics in IDPA has max weight of 45 oz with unloaded mag. My G34 w/light and mag weighs in at 31 oz.
Nice. I forgot about the weight issue 😂
My shadow 1 just barely makes weight as it is. So I won’t be getting a WML

As long as it fits in the box and under 45oz does it pass the test for CO?

As long as it fits in the box and under 45oz does it pass the test for CO?
According to the match directors I talked to, yes. But it seems from talking to others that there's uncertainty.

So, holster that accomodates weapon light and holster plus flashlight all go into the range bag.

According to the match directors I talked to, yes. But it seems from talking to others that there's uncertainty.

So, holster that accomodates weapon light and holster plus flashlight all go into the range bag.

I can confirm the light bearing is ok but you need to shoot the entire match with it on. I emailed our idpa coordinator a while back seemed pretty straight forward.

For what is ok under CO 🤷🏻‍♂️ at equipment check there really hasn’t been a lot of scrutiny in the past. Again couldn’t get anything confirmed from the idpa coordinator suggested to reach out to md.

Holster can have a slight drop but needs to be concealed. When sending a suggested holster he said something to the effect of “wearable all day for concealment intentions”

MA States has 2 indoor low/no light stages.

WML are allowed.
Firearms must make weight and fit in the box.
You must shoot the whole match with the WML.
When you start a stage the WML is off.

Back
Top Bottom