• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IDPA and USPSA parity

eboos

NES Member
I was about to go into a long rant about not being able to shoot my Carry Optics gun in IDPA due to rule differences on equipment vs USPSA, but as it turns out: I am an idiot. IDPA refers to ESP (Enhanced Service Pistol) rules for allowable Carry Optics modifications. I mistakenly looked at Stock Service Pistol rules which specifically forbid weighted grip plugs and tungsten guide rods. My rant is that it favors some manufacturers and models over others in their stock or near stock form. Now, it doesn't matter. So long as my gun is within the 45 ounce weigh limit (lower than USPSA's 59 ounces limit) with the heaviest mag inserted and 10 round mag limit. Grip plugs and guide rods serve a function apart from just adding weight so they should be legal in ESP/CO.

So why am I writing this then? Because I am bored.

I was about to go into a long rant about not being able to shoot my Carry Optics gun in IDPA due to rule differences on equipment vs USPSA, but as it turns out: I am an idiot. IDPA refers to ESP (Enhanced Service Pistol) rules for allowable Carry Optics modifications. I mistakenly looked at Stock Service Pistol rules which specifically forbid weighted grip plugs and tungsten guide rods. My rant is that it favors some manufacturers and models over others in their stock or near stock form. Now, it doesn't matter. So long as my gun is within the 45 ounce weigh limit (lower than USPSA's 59 ounces limit) with the heaviest mag inserted and 10 round mag limit. Grip plugs and guide rods serve a function apart from just adding weight so they should be legal in ESP/CO.

So why am I writing this then? Because I am bored.
I'm issuing a flagrant penalty for this weak rant.

Just registered for my first IDPA match in nearly 25 years.

Edit: It's two weeks away and I am just going to run my carry gun (G17 MOS), factory ammo and my carry gear. Pretty much just show up and shoot.

Last edited:
So long as my gun is within the 45 ounce weigh limit
the limit thing is for with the mag inserted with loads in it, or just an empty mag?
i was always under impression that those rules are written specifically to exclude a specific gun model the rule writers hate currently. what they hate currently mutates, so rules mutate too.
the second shadow 2 i got is now at 3lb sharp with the mag out - handles very nice this way, heavy brass loc grips medium fat. gotta be hated too, i bet. :)

Last edited:
the limit thing is for with the mag inserted with loads in it, or just an empty mag?
i was always under impression that those rules are written specifically to exclude a specific gun model the rule writers hate currently.
the second shadow 2 i got is now at 3lb sharp with the mag out - handles very nice this way, heavy brass loc grips medium fat.
empty mag

At a local level 1 club match they aren’t going to weigh your gun. At a higher level match the will weigh it and make sure it meets the rules for the division with a visual inspection/ that includes putting it in a box to check its dimensions. In uspsa they also measure the mag. My idpa experience is limited but I have yet to see them actually break down a gun and look inside. Most local matches encourage new participants and will work with you equitment wise as long as it’s not a safety issue. If idpa were to become a regular thing then you would want to look into meeting the standards in order to compete fairly. Good luck in your match

Just bought my IDPA official "CIA agent doesn't know how to blend in" "No no, I am totally not carrying a gun" "When the eff am I ever doing to wear this outside the range" vest.

Back
Top Bottom