IDPA...Awesome

I went to my first IDPA competition today (at Pelham). I didn't participate, just watched. However, I can tell you that I've found yet another fun thing about shooting, and I will likely be taking it up. Damn, you, damn you all....my visa card is going to get worn out yet again [sad2]

I went to my first IDPA competition today (at Pelham). I didn't participate, just watched. However, I can tell you that I've found yet another fun thing about shooting, and I will likely be taking it up. Damn, you, damn you all....my visa card is going to get worn out yet again [sad2]

I competed at Pelham today BTW. First time I have been to that club. Was well run and fast. I did OK on one stage, terrible on the next, and great on the last one. How that all averages out I dont know, but it's called novice class for a reason! [wink]

Feel free to come down to our club, the Harvard Sportsmens' Club and shoot our match on June 30th. Registration starts at 8:45 a.m.

The match features five stages, including one low light stage. Bring 150 rounds of ammo, your gun, a holster, a mag holster, and three mags or a bunch of speedloaders.

PM me for more details.

Darius

Feel free to come down to our club, the Harvard Sportsmens' Club and shoot our match on June 30th. Registration starts at 8:45 a.m.

The match features five stages, including one low light stage. Bring 150 rounds of ammo, your gun, a holster, a mag holster, and three mags or a bunch of speedloaders.

PM me for more details.

Darius

I was at the practise last week and have the 3oth match on my schedule.

PM me for more details.

Darius

I would like to, but I'm in Conway on the 30th. One question, what are the rules for an NH resident bringing a non-MA compliant handgun to a competition in MA? Am I correct in understanding that it's OK providing you are ONLY going to the competition, and have proof?

I would like to, but I'm in Conway on the 30th. One question, what are the rules for an NH resident bringing a non-MA compliant handgun to a competition in MA? Am I correct in understanding that it's OK providing you are ONLY going to the competition, and have proof?

I'll let the lawyers get this one straight for you but one thing is certain. No evil high cap mags allowed unless they are preban mags!

One more question. The IDPA folks also have a carbine match. What would be a carbine of choice for this? I can't really afford a new gun right now (my wife would probably use it on me if I were to buy one)...but IF I were to get one (and hide it in the attic so my wife wouldn't find it) what would anyone here recommend?

Last edited:
One more question. The IDPA folks also have a carbine match. What would be a carbine of choice for this? I can't really afford a new gun right now (my wife would probably use it on me if I were to buy one)...but IF I were to get one (and hide it in the attic so my wife wouldn't find it) what would anyone here recommend?

I attended the winter carbine match at Pelham and did OK with an AK47, middle
of the pack shooting iron sights. Most people use an AR15 variant, but if you put
in some time at shot range with any military auto (AR, AK, Uzi, MP5) you could
do just fine. An AK is probably you cheapest way in.

I attended the winter carbine match at Pelham and did OK with an AK47, middle
of the pack shooting iron sights. Most people use an AR15 variant, but if you put
in some time at shot range with any military auto (AR, AK, Uzi, MP5) you could
do just fine. An AK is probably you cheapest way in.

I plan to make the next one and will use my m4 carbine for sure. Sounds like a real...blast [laugh]

I used to shoot with that group when they were the "Tactical Arts Group" at Nashua F&G. Great bunch, fun times and good training! Of all the things i miss about living in NH, that's at the top of my list :-(

In regards to the carbine, you don't need a gizmoed out M-4gery with $500- worth of optics to shoot. Take whatevery you have-a lever gun, M-1 carbine, Garand, Enfield or Mauser (learn to use stripper clips first!), SKS, whatever. If your goal is to be competitive, then you may want a space rifle. if your goal is to improve as a marksman and have a good time, run what you have! I never found them to be the types to look down on the shooter with the "average" rifle.

You should also check out the IDPA practice at Harvard on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of every month. It starts around 5:00 and is a lot of fun.

I used to shoot with that group when they were the "Tactical Arts Group" at Nashua F&G. Great bunch, fun times and good training! Of all the things i miss about living in NH, that's at the top of my list :-(

In regards to the carbine, you don't need a gizmoed out M-4gery with $500- worth of optics to shoot. Take whatevery you have-a lever gun, M-1 carbine, Garand, Enfield or Mauser (learn to use stripper clips first!), SKS, whatever. If your goal is to be competitive, then you may want a space rifle. if your goal is to improve as a marksman and have a good time, run what you have! I never found them to be the types to look down on the shooter with the "average" rifle.

I just hope they don't look down on a newbe with "average" skill. Some of the folks there were damn good...especially the guy who worked for Sig Arms.

I just hope they don't look down on a newbe with "average" skill. Some of the folks there were damn good...especially the guy who worked for Sig Arms.

Negative on that one. I invited a lot of neophytes to shoot with us, they were treated with respect. Just remember safe firearms handling, that's all that matters-the skill comes with time!

Besides, we were all new at it at one time. Hell, I started shooting with them with lots of trigger time but sometimes embarassed myself as to actual hitting stuff!

Go. Have fun. Learn.

On the type of firearms for IDPA carbine. There're a lot of choices out there. What sort of caliber carbine would be best for IDPA (and general use)? I'm looking at a 5.56mm NATO/.223 Remmington caliber carbine, is this acceptable or would the 7.62 NATO/.30 be better?

I'm guessing that the 5.56mm is considerably cheaper ammo to buy...which is important on IDPA matches where a lot of ammo is fired down the range.

I can't recall his name. He was damn good though....got the whole line of plates in about 7 seconds.

You need to go to a steel match. There is a guy there that does the plate rack in under three seconds [wink]

Look for the steel challenge shoot in NH in the Pistol Competition Forum and then attend and watch these guys.

Or, go to the Three Gun match at Harvard this Sunday and see them knock down steel poppers at a fast pace with Shotguns.

IDPA is a great sport but you need to broaden your horizons [smile]

Check out www.downzero.com for IDPA meets.
Come and join us at Smith&Wesson we shoot three stages indoors at the S&W Academy. We shoot the second and fourth Thursday start time in 6:00pm and the last Saturday of the month starting at 9:00am. Check downzero for the schedule.

Back
Top Bottom