IDPA concealment garment?

What do you guys recommend? I'm ready to upgrade now... I'm tired of the wind causing my light shirt to blow back on draw. They basically seem to look the same but I'd like to get a good quality one. It has to be blue, too many kaki ones out there...

Use what you wear when you carry in the real world. If your shirt blows open sew some weight in the corner. I see someone wearing a vest in the mall etc I know they are carrying. I find I am right about 80% of the time.

Use what you wear when you carry in the real world. If your shirt blows open sew some weight in the corner. I see someone wearing a vest in the mall etc I know they are carrying. I find I am right about 80% of the time.

I shoot for competition reasons only. I realize that IDPA has some aspects of real defense but for me that's not why I do it. Most of the guns in competition wouldn't be suitable for CCW anyway. Most of the time when I CCW I use pocket carry anyway- not IDPA legal.

I shoot for competition reasons only.---Lugnut
Isn’t this covered under no competition only equipment?
Sounds like a DQ, FTDR and a procedural all rolled into one.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Isn’t this covered under no competition only equipment?
Sounds like a DQ, FTDR and a procedural all rolled into one.

Respectfully,

jkelly

John. I don't think that many IDPA shooters actually use their 5.11 gear on the street, out to dinner or on a walk to the beach- even though it's not considered competition only equipment. It's splitting hairs in some ways. There are just so many things I wouldn't do "in real life" that I will in competition. I use a "legal" IPDA paddle holster with 2 spare mag carriers on the weak hand side. How many people do that in real life?

Like I said-- I can't compete very well with my 642 out of a pocket holster in IDPA. See what I'm saying?

Wear a polo one size too large.

Wear one of these:
4423Shirt_230.jpg

Woolrich Tactical Discreet CCW Shirt

I recently bought one of those Woolrich shirts (that exact color, matter of fact), and you can hide a damn M240 under there. The fabric "flows" so that it moves out of the way easily when drawing. As a big plus, it is extrmely comfortable in the hot muggy weather we've been having.

ETA: The only vests I wear are fleece zip up vests when it's cold. Those 5.11 vests look goofy as hell and scream GUN to cops. The sheeple are oblivious to everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
See what I'm saying?---Lugnut
Absolutely! And I agree with you.

I shoot for competition reasons only.---Lugnut
By, “Isn’t this covered under no competition only equipment?
Sounds like a DQ, FTDR and a procedural all rolled into one.”

I meant “YOU” being a “Competition Only Shooter” would be covered under the “No Competition Only Equipment” clause/intention of IDPA. Bad humor, sorry.

In IDPA I also only use guns that I either bought to shoot competition or just shoot in general. I don't carry any of my IDPA guns, to some that's heresy. My carry gun is a BUG gun.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I wear the CampCo Photo Travel Vest. It's available in a number of colors. Don't know about blue, but I have black and khaki. I like it because the front pocket are big bellows-type pockets. Great for dropping mags into, etc. Relatively cheap, at under $50.

ZZVCKS.JPG

I don't know that sewing weights in a cover garment is an IDPA-legal modification. Might be a FTDR.

You better start checking the vest of the top shooters in the country then. You will find a plastic tube with lead shot in the gun side seam[wink] Some of us lower level shooters just carry a Barney mag or moon clip on that side.

You better start checking the vest of the top shooters in the country then. You will find a plastic tube with lead shot in the gun side seam[wink] Some of us lower level shooters just carry a Barney mag or moon clip on that side.

Wow, I thought it would be an issue to. Here's the deal right from the rule book:

3. Concealment Garments.
All equipment should be so placed that, when wearing an open
concealment garment with your arms extended at your sides and
parallel to the ground, it can NOT been seen from the front, rear or
sides. Your concealment garment should be practical for your
environment and loose enough to allow easy movement.
Competition only garments are prohibited. Competition only
garments are defined as: vented or mesh vests that allow the
firearm, holster, spare ammo or ammo carriers to be visible when
standing normally, chest pockets, specially-made pockets or any
material inserted in pockets or around pockets to keep the pocket
open for stowage of partial magazines after a reload. Garments
that are considered “competition only” will incur an FTDR.
See “Proper Magazine Retention” in the Glossary for further
details.

Wow, I thought it would be an issue to. Here's the deal right from the rule book:

3. Concealment Garments.
All equipment should be so placed that, when wearing an open
concealment garment with your arms extended at your sides and
parallel to the ground, it can NOT been seen from the front, rear or
sides. Your concealment garment should be practical for your
environment and loose enough to allow easy movement.
Competition only garments are prohibited. Competition only
garments are defined as: vented or mesh vests that allow the
firearm, holster, spare ammo or ammo carriers to be visible when
standing normally, chest pockets, specially-made pockets or any
material inserted in pockets or around pockets to keep the pocket
open for stowage of partial magazines after a reload. Garments
that are considered “competition only” will incur an FTDR.
See “Proper Magazine Retention” in the Glossary for further
details.
Right. Notice the rule book says you can't insert material in or around the pockets to keep the pocket open. Most of the top shooters who modify their vests insert a stiffener into the actual seam of the vest itself to aid it in moving "out of the way" during the draw. Imagine the entire side of vest moving as one instead of "bunching up" as you move it rearward for the draw.

While some people stitch a coat hanger or something weighted into their cover garments it is illegal.

I have heard of people DQed at major events for both.

I just stick a mag, phone, or something else to add some weight.

I just got a SigTac vest... I'm pleased with it's quality. Practicing draws around the house with this on however has my wife convinced I'm losing it! So be it I say.

While some people stitch a coat hanger or something weighted into their cover garments it is illegal.
Perhaps you could quote the rule disallowing this.

I know of several major competitors who use large cable ties along the seams in their vest to stiffen it and make it "sweep cleanly," including one who discusses it on his DVD's on Practical Shooting.

Wear a polo one size too large.

Wear one of these:
4423Shirt_230.jpg

Woolrich Tactical Discreet CCW Shirt

I recently bought one of those Woolrich shirts (that exact color, matter of fact), and you can hide a damn M240 under there. The fabric "flows" so that it moves out of the way easily when drawing. As a big plus, it is extrmely comfortable in the hot muggy weather we've been having.

Jose, I just bought one of those shirts. I need an instruction book. Why are the bottom buttons on the side real and the middle buttons are velcro. The bottome front "button" is velcro too. Why do I need all this?

Jose, I just bought one of those shirts. I need an instruction book. Why are the bottom buttons on the side real and the middle buttons are velcro. The bottome front "button" is velcro too. Why do I need all this?

I wager a guess that the velcro in the middle assists in drawing from a shoulder holster?

I don't worry about the buttons.

The shirt is cut full enough that an upwards swipe of the hands gets to the gun in a flash.

Back
Top Bottom