• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IDPA Defensive Multi Gun

If people want a 3gun match, then they need to step up and organize one. Everyone one wants to shoot the match, no one wants to build the stages and props.

If people want a 3gun match, then they need to step up and organize one. Everyone one wants to shoot the match, no one wants to build the stages and props.

I've started talking about it with some of my IDPA cohorts. I'm planning to pitch it to the powers that be at Harvard and/or Worcester soon and volunteer to be the MD. If there's anyone reading this thread who has multi-gun RO/MD experience, I'd appreciate some info/suggestions.

I offered 6 months ago to help out when they started talking about the Bass River match they had last month, my job just sucks for people who want their own life.

I've started talking about it with some of my IDPA cohorts. I'm planning to pitch it to the powers that be at Harvard and/or Worcester soon and volunteer to be the MD. If there's anyone reading this thread who has multi-gun RO/MD experience, I'd appreciate some info/suggestions.

Dan S is the guy to talk to in the area about 3 gun stuff.

Do you carry with a mounted light?

I'm talking about carbines and shotguns only.

EDIT: Look, it doesn't matter. It's just a one-off post about how I'd rather the rules be different.

Last edited:
The DMG rules I read do not mention no slings in the prohibited list.

It also says gun mounted flashlights on long guns are ok but can only be turned on after the buzzer.

the rules seem to be decently laid out. I will give it a try when I get the time to shoot a match.

The DMG rules I read do not mention no slings in the prohibited list.

It also says gun mounted flashlights on long guns are ok but can only be turned on after the buzzer.

the rules seem to be decently laid out. I will give it a try when I get the time to shoot a match.

Slings aren't prohibited--you just can't use them as many people intend, i.e. during transition to a handgun and vice versa.

What kind of props would a stage need that would be different from a regular IDPA match? There are a lot of talented members out there. If some built props, and brought them all together, much like the JK Match, many shooters could sample this new venue. I'm sure after the first match, interest would grow, and many ideas and matches would be born.

Maybe we should start a discussion about a typical stage setup.

For instance would targets for pistol and carbines stay paper, and shotgun be steel and clays ? (I'm thinking ease of scoring)
Would long guns be placed in a rack when not in use, or kept cased with the rest of your range gear? ( I'm thinking about muzzle direction) (Safety)

Lots of things can be worked out here, in the Forum. This would make any match smooth, organized and safe. Just thinking out loud, going forward.

The stages are a lot more complicated especially if you planning on being down range of the dump box. Then you need a lot of targets, because shooting a couple of targets with each gun is boring. The easiest way to start is 2 guns per stage .

Steel is fine for pistol and shotgun. and paper is fine for pistol and rifle. In the beginning, running a slug and birdshot will be to complicated.

Its quickest to rack the guns, bagging between stages or just use chamber flags.

How to run the match is easy, getting good stages is were you need the experienced people and isn't something that can be done on a forum

Take look at some CAS stages which have always been multi gun on ideas for scenarios and ways to stage guns, transitions between firearms, etc.

And also ideas on a gun cart. Like this one:

DSC_2127.jpg

Last edited:
Does that cart fold down or break down for easy transport? Sure looks like a very useful thing to have at the range. Problem for me would be getting it there.
No it does not break down. That was my plan to have the box come out. And fold up the frame. But could not make it work.

We are talking about doing one at Bass River this Fall in addition to the Oct USPSA rifle/pistol match. Probably in Nov

The Oct USPSA match is two separate matches held at the same time. I set up all six bays and have 1-3 as rifle only (more like carbine as they are all short range) 3 - 6 is pistol. #3 is shot with both pistol and rifle but separately. So in essence a 3 stage rifle match and a 4 stage pistol match. It ran pretty smoothly last year. A few guys chose to shoot pistol only, but most shot both.

Back
Top Bottom