• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IDPA near Boston

Hello,

I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to competition shooting. I'd like to get into IDPA or some other action competition shooting. I live right outside of Boston, can anyone recommend a club/range within a reasonable distance that does that?

Thanks!

If you really want to get into competition, what difference does it make how far the club is?

This still has to fit in my life's schedule... I'm not going to do something like quit my job and move so I can shoot competitively on an amateur/newbie level. I work in Boston and don't get done with work until around 6pm every day, so if a club is an hour away and their practice starts at 5:30, I can't participate, so I may as well not join the club.

I guess reasonable to me meant less than an hour, but if there's no closer options, I guess that's what I'm stuck with. Which do you prefer? Are you a member of closer clubs/ranges as well?

They are both great competition clubs and I have friends at both. My club is also about an hour away, but I use it only for teaching people to shoot and sighting in my firearms. There is a whole forum here on gun clubs in MA. Choosing a club is a very personal decision. You should decide what you want in a club, how funky their rules may be (the FUDD factor), how often you will use it, and how far you are willing to travel. My thoughts only.

This still has to fit in my life's schedule... I'm not going to do something like quit my job and move so I can shoot competitively on an amateur/newbie level. I work in Boston and don't get done with work until around 6pm every day, so if a club is an hour away and their practice starts at 5:30, I can't participate, so I may as well not join the club.

Most matches are on Sunday, so work shouldn't be an issue.

Matches are on weekends. I can understand your concern about practice sessions. I'd show up at a match and watch, or better yet, tell them you're new and shoot the match.

Production is where all the newbies are, so its the best place to start, it's IDPA without the cool story at the start

And without fishing vests. [wink]

1) You don't have to be there at 5:30 to attend the practice. Show up when you show up.

2) You don't need to be a member to attend their practice or to shoot IDPA.

3) You don't need to attend their practice to practice for IDPA. Join a club with action pits (like Havard), show up to the club when you can, grab a free pit, set up your target stands, and start practicing. I'm a member at Harvard, I attend almost all of their matches, and can hardly ever make their practices.

If you are looking for ways to make this work, you can. If you are looking for excuses for how this can't work, you can find those too. Your choice.

Last edited:
And without fishing vests. [wink]

1) You don't have to be there at 5:30 to attend the practice. Show up when you show up.

2) You don't need to be a member to attend their practice or to shoot IDPA.

3) You don't need to attend their practice to practice for IDPA. Join a club with action pits (like Havard), show up to the club when you can, grab a free pit, set up your target stands, and start practicing. I'm a member at Harvard, I attend almost all of their matches, and can hardly ever make their practices.

If you are looking for ways to make this work, you can. If you are looking for excuses for how this can't work, you can find those too. Your choice.

Okay thanks, I thought I had to be there at a certain time. I appreciate the information.

If you want to try it out, Harvard has IDPA practice on the 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month. They start at 7:30pm, and gets out at 10(ish). Swing by if you want to check it out. USPSA has practice on Wed nights, but I don't know their exact schedule.

Harvard has IDPA practice on the 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month. They start at 7:30pm, and gets out at 10(ish). Swing by if you want to check it out. USPSA has practice on Wed nights, but I don't know their exact schedule.

USPSA practices at 5:00-7:00pm Wednesday nights, inside at the indoor range located in the clubhouse. When it is lighter, we go outside to the action pits.

If you want to try it out, Harvard has IDPA practice on the 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month. They start at 7:30pm, and gets out at 10(ish). Swing by if you want to check it out. USPSA has practice on Wed nights, but I don't know their exact schedule.

Awesome, that might be a good way to get into this. How many rounds should I bring?

Hey Wolfen, I'm right next door in Allston. It doesn't take that long to get to Harvard. There is hardly any traffic on the weekends in the morning.

Malden has a good indoor pistol club.

Hopkington isn't too far and has great folks there!

Let me know if you want carpool once the season starts up :)

Cheers!

Hey Wolfen, I'm right next door in Allston. It doesn't take that long to get to Harvard. There is hardly any traffic on the weekends in the morning.

Malden has a good indoor pistol club.

Hopkington isn't too far and has great folks there!

Let me know if you want carpool once the season starts up :)

Cheers!

Thanks! PM on the way!

I lived for 5.5 years, that's enough for me. [wink]

Did I forget to mention that this was in the 70's, pre-AIDS and sport effing was still in full swing. You couldn't help but get laid on either (take your pick) Brighton/Comm/Harvard Ave. I would assume that Allston is still wall to wall co-eds though.

Back
Top Bottom