IDPA - Rules and Regulations

I'm about to start out in IDPA, and am just soliciting opinions on what pistol to use. I'm preferable to Glocks because I have large hands (no jokes please! :p); however I'm not too sure of what caliber to choose.

I'd like a combined home defense & IDPA gun, so I'm leaning towards the Glock 21 chambered in .45ACP. I'm not particularly interested in carrying concealed, so I'm not too fussed about getting a compact model.

Thoughts/opinions? I see that factory-compensated models (e.g. the Glock 21C) aren't legal in Custom Defensive Pistol, or from the look of things any other category. One thing I can see is that if I choose a 9mm I can compete in Stock Service and Enhanced Service at the same time, giving me twice the experience... right?

number9 said:
Thoughts/opinions? Factory-compensated models (e.g. the 21C) aren't legal in IDPA are they? Thanks guys!

I guess what is not allowed is a compensated barrel and not of the slide. Chris would be able to answer that...

What you got to say Chris on this? [wink]

Hiram: You got that post before I edited it after reading the full IDPA regs quickly. Still, I'd like to hear opinions on it!

number9 said:
I'm about to start out in IDPA, and am just soliciting opinions on what pistol to use. I'm preferable to Glocks because I have large hands (no jokes please! :p); however I'm not too sure of what caliber to choose.

I'd like a combined home defense & IDPA gun, so I'm leaning towards the Glock 21 chambered in .45ACP. I'm not particularly interested in carrying concealed, so I'm not too fussed about getting a compact model.

Thoughts/opinions? I see that factory-compensated models (e.g. the Glock 21C) aren't legal in Custom Defensive Pistol, or from the look of things any other category. One thing I can see is that if I choose a 9mm I can compete in Stock Service and Enhanced Service at the same time, giving me twice the experience... right?

Given what you said I'd recommend either a model 17 or 21, according to whether your prefer 9mm or .45. I don't think that being able to shoot the same gun in two divisions buys you much: you'll generally shoot only one division anyway during a match. I'd personally go for the 17 since the ammo's cheaper. If you don't mind feeding a .45 then go for it.

number9 said:
Hiram: You got that post before I edited it after reading the full IDPA regs quickly. Still, I'd like to hear opinions on it!

Yes, what I was told when I join an IDPA classification class that factory compensated pistols are not allowed. And from my understanding it refers to the barrel and not of the slide. I dont see any advantage of the model Cs of glock having any advantage when it comes to less recoil, etc. Oh.. my misunderstanding... I was referring to ported barrels! Ported barrels is definetely a no in IDPA... as per my understanding.

Chris and the rest of the gang here will be more than happy to share their opinion and knowledge when it comes to this subject or any other subject...[wink]

Compensated barrels of any type, either from the factory, or from the aftermarket are all forbidden in IDPA. It doesn't matter if they really are 'practical'. It is just a very expensive door for an arms race that the board doesn't want.

However, any Glock is a good IDPA gun. I'd recommend a 9mm for a beginner only because the ammo is cheaper, the recoil is less, and the shooter can concentrate on accuracy and not so much about controlling a hand cannon.

That said, if another model fits you better, is easier to draw, or otherwise just feels right, shoot that.

Just be sure that if you shoot 9mm that you make the 125,000 power. Some of the targt grade 9mm do not.

number9 said:
I see that factory-compensated models (e.g. the Glock 21C) aren't legal in Custom Defensive Pistol, or from the look of things any other category. One thing I can see is that if I choose a 9mm I can compete in Stock Service and Enhanced Service at the same time, giving me twice the experience... right?

Just want to know [this may not be related to your IDPA question] if the barrel of this 21C is ported? What I understand is tht it has some sort of an opening at the front of the slide but the barrel is not actually ported, isnt that correct?

Chris said:
The 'C' on the Glock stands for "Compensated" and thus has a facotry compensator.

Yes, a Glock can be used in SSP and ESP in 9mm.

As per http://www.glockfaq.com/models.htm

"Despite their name, compensated models have a ported (not compensated) barrel. Two oblong cuts are made in the top of the barrel with matching cuts in the slide (except the 24C, which has 4 round holes in the barrel and a large oblong cut in the slide). When the gun is fired some of the gases escape out the top of the barrel instead of the front. This helps reduce recoil and provide faster follow up shots. C models are considered a poor choice for personal defense because you would be blinded by the escaping gases in any low-light situation. The following C models are available: 17C, 19C, 20C, 21C, 22C, 23C, 24C, 31C and 32C."

I was dead wrong! But just confused with a ported and a compensated barrel. What is the difference between the two? Most of the guys that I talked to when they see a ported barrel it is "compensated". I think most guys are confused and are using these terms interchangebly. Please advise. Thanks.

I'm no expert but here is my take...

A ported barrel is one with holes through it. Like Glock "C" models and "Magna Ported" guns.

A compensator is attached or cut into the end of the barrel and has holes that create chambers larger than the bore and forms baffles. The holes in the compensator are commonly called ports too. "Comps" are what you see on IPSC open guns, pin guns, and some ARs.

Ports in the barrel bleed off gas to lessen recoil. The compensator bleeds gas but has the addition of the gas hitting the wall of the baffles to combat the recoil (pushing against recoil). Porting and comps make guns louder and more fun [twisted] .

You may see the long slides of the Glock 34s and 35s and get confused too. They have openings in the slide but no holes in the barrels. They are not for porting but to make the slides lighter. They are both IDPA and IPSC legal and great guns to get if you are outside MA (hard to find in MA).

You can't go wrong with a Glock 17 or 22. I favor the .40 over the 9mm because it fits a wider variety of IPSC divisions as well as IDPA.

GTOShootr said:
I'm no expert but here is my take...

A ported barrel is one with holes through it. Like Glock "C" models and "Magna Ported" guns.

A compensator is attached or cut into the end of the barrel and has holes that create chambers larger than the bore and forms baffles. The holes in the compensator are commonly called ports too. "Comps" are what you see on IPSC open guns, pin guns, and some ARs.

Ports in the barrel bleed off gas to lessen recoil. The compensator bleeds gas but has the addition of the gas hitting the wall of the baffles to combat the recoil (pushing against recoil). Porting and comps make guns louder and more fun [twisted] .

You may see the long slides of the Glock 34s and 35s and get confused too. They have openings in the slide but no holes in the barrels. They are not for porting but to make the slides lighter. They are both IDPA and IPSC legal and great guns to get if you are outside MA (hard to find in MA).

You can't go wrong with a Glock 17 or 22. I favor the .40 over the 9mm because it fits a wider variety of IPSC divisions as well as IDPA.

That's what I was actually told that these 34s and 35s ARE OKAY since they only have openings on the slideare and are therefore IDPA compliant but other glock models are not under NON-IDPA-LEGAL MODIFICATIONS no. A states: Compensators of any type including hybrid or ported barrels. [oops]

Back
Top Bottom