• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If You Are Looking For a Trench Gun

It's a great gun. I've never owned any other shotty than an 1897.

The Norinco replicas are out there, used. You can still find them around $400, and they're worth it. Genuine Winchesters are even less, though you'd need to add all the tactical bits yourself.

The Norinco replicas are out there, used. You can still find them around $400, and they're worth it. Genuine Winchesters are even less, though you'd need to add all the tactical bits yourself.
No way you can find a Norinco Trench for $400.

You would be lucky to find one for $600.

The 1897 is on my list of must haves to enhance my jmb collection.....but if i found one I wouldn't add tactical bits......but that's just me.

The 1897 is on my list of must haves to enhance my jmb collection.....but if i found one I wouldn't add tactical bits......but that's just me.

LOL!

When I'm talking about an 1897, the "tactical bits" are the heat shield, the bayonet lug, and the barrel length. I don't know whether Norinco is making that configuration anymore?

I think the heat shield is under $130 or so, but may require some minor fitting ($). I should know but haven’t actually gotten around to putting the thing on my ‘97 yet (and may never).

LOL!

When I'm talking about an 1897, the "tactical bits" are the heat shield, the bayonet lug, and the barrel length. I don't know whether Norinco is making that configuration anymore?
They are not, or at least no one is importing into the U.S.

I think the heat shield is under $130 or so, but may require some minor fitting ($). I should know but haven’t actually gotten around to putting the thing on my ‘97 yet (and may never).
It has been a while since I looked for heat shields, but I remember the options were maybe 3. Two of them American made, out of those 2, one only worked with certain guns, not replicas (dont know why, maybe barrel thickness). The cheap ones I believe came from China and from what I read weren't great, but were around $150.

This was like 5 years ago, so I might not be remembering all the details.

Last edited:
How did I never hear about this company before? They make some really nice looking firearms. Can any of these be purchased in MA?
They do make nice guns. Should be able to, it is just a standard shotgun.

It has been a while since I looked for heat shields, but I remember the options were maybe 3. Two of them American made, out of those 2, one only worked with certain guns, not replicas (dont know why, maybe barrel thickness). The cheapnones I believe came from China and from what I read weren't great, but were around $150.

Winchester 97 Trench Gun Bayonet Lug & Heat Shield With Screws

My project stalled out at this step:
PLEASE NOTE: These will only fit original Winchester 97s with the correct grooves cut - If your barrel does not have the grooves cut for the screws, they will have to be machined.

I have a 1912-made 1897, and I just don't understand why you would want a trench gun config other than for some kind of re-enacting/LARPing, or if it were an original.

But, I'm fully supportive of people buying what they want; it's just not for me.

See, that's what I mentioned above.

Although maybe it could work. I dont know the measurement differences between the Winchester and the rest. Is it just barrel thickness?

You can find originals, you will most likely have to cut the barrel.

I don't know either. I have two original 1897s. One is a takedown that I had chopped down to 20", the other's a fixed barrel that was already chopped down to a little shy of 20" when I got it. Neither has been trenchified other than being cut. For the takedowns I believe you also need to swap out the magazine plug - I have that part sitting around somewhere too.

Last edited:
I have a 1912-made 1897, and I just don't understand why you would want a trench gun config other than for some kind of re-enacting/LARPing, or if it were an original.

But, I'm fully supportive of people buying what they want; it's just not for me.
Because, how else do you attach a shotgun to a sword?

yeah but does it

S L A M F I R E

Who cares? Anyone here ever slam fire a 97???? Not hte most accurate of shooting styles.

I've got one from my cowboy days. Honestly, I'll take my 870 over it every time. Lighter. Smoother action. No slammy-fireyy.

It has been a while since I looked for heat shields, but I remember the options were maybe 3. Two of them American made, out of those 2, one only worked with certain guns, not replicas (dont know why, maybe barrel thickness). The cheap ones I believe came from China and from what I read weren't great, but were around $150.

I paid $130ish made in the US I think, with a long wait. I need to shave off a little from the barrel where the bolts tighten on the heat shield. Haven't gotten around to it yet.

Back
Top Bottom