If you can't hit the target?

Shoot at a bigger target from a shorter distance. Butcher paper, or a fresh piece of cardboard, with a nice 1" black dot on it from 7-10 yards should be ample to see where your shots are landing. If they're all landing in the same spot, but not at PoA, then some sort of sight adjustment is in order.

If the groups all over the place, it could be:

-YOU
-the ammunition you're using
-the gun

It's far more likely to be you. See if someone else can get the gun to group. If that turns out to be the case, there's plenty of resources on here to help improve your shooting.

Sorry- I should have been more specific.
The gun is a Sigma sw9ve. I can usually put about 5 out of 10 shots on paper at 50 feet.
I'm pretty sure it's not me because with my revolver I'm getting good groups consistently.
It seems like the trigger is so stiff on the Sigma it's making me jerk the gun.

The gun is a Sigma sw9ve. I can usually put about 5 out of 10 shots on paper at 50 feet.
I'm pretty sure it's not me because with my revolver I'm getting good groups consistently.

Sounds like you answered your own question.

You could practice dry firing to get used to the trigger or you could get a trigger job.

Also, like Derek said some professional training might help.

50 ft with a hard trigger is problem #1, and #2

This is from a review bench rested from a very experienced shooter.

10-YARD BENCHREST ACCURACY
AMMO TYPE AVERAGE VELOCITY (fps) AVERAGE GROUP (ins.)
Hornady 115-gr. FMJ 1,010 ....... 2.0
CCI Lawman 125-gr. JSP 1,042 .....3.0
Remington 147-gr. JHP 1,022 ......2 1/2

Last edited:
The Sigma is famous for having a terrible trigger pull. As mentioned, training is a good thing. So is a better trigger.

My first privately owned hangun was a Sigma SW40VE. I consistently shot expert with my M9 in the Marines, yet when I was shooting that Sigma at S&W's public range 2 years ago it took me 3 full mags to even get on paper at 21 feet. One of the range officers test fired it for me, told me the trigger was garbage, and said to sell it and get a Glock. He was a S&W employee. Just something to keep in mind.

As stated numerous times, get the target REALLY close, say about 10-15'. PRactice at that distance until you can begin grouping and discover what bad habits you are introducing to your shots. You'll know pretty quickly at that distance. That's the way I begin teaching my students. They smile when they see the target so close until they begin shooting. Miss at that distance and you might as well trade that puppy in!

Rome

Aw comon, guys. We've all picked up a strange handgun and shot less than stellar with it. The idea is to at least see if it's hitting paper close up and if there's a grouping to be found. Give Disgorge a chance to learn with it before you dismiss it and his abilities out of hand. Discorge, I don't know what level of training you've had up to now but having someone watch you over your shoulder as you fire that handgun would be an advantage to you. I find that it helps to have a set of eyes on the gun as you are operating it to catch all the variables that might/can be happening. Start with the basics of stance, hold, sighting and trigger pull.

Rome

First and foremost issue is your target is way too far, for a beginner anyway. Bring it in to 7 or 10 yards.

Lots of comments [rolleyes] Have a friend that is an experienced shooter shoot the gun. There is a good possibility it is the gun and NOT you. If the gun is the problem and it is new, call S&W and explain there seems to be a problem with the accuracy of the Sigma and see if they will take a look at it.

If you want to drive to the Cape Thursday afternoon (around 1230hrs) I will be on a range and will gladly shoot the Sigma and see if I can hit anything with it.

Aw comon, guys. We've all picked up a strange handgun and shot less than stellar with it. The idea is to at least see if it's hitting paper close up and if there's a grouping to be found. Give Disgorge a chance to learn with it before you dismiss it and his abilities out of hand. Discorge, I don't know what level of training you've had up to now but having someone watch you over your shoulder as you fire that handgun would be an advantage to you. I find that it helps to have a set of eyes on the gun as you are operating it to catch all the variables that might/can be happening. Start with the basics of stance, hold, sighting and trigger pull.

Rome
I am fairly new to handguns, but I can consistently hit a gong at 100 yards with the revolver on a rest, so I know I have a little skill, but not much.

At the very least, try setting up a target in your house and practice with dry fire. Please TRIPLE check that you are unloaded first! A little bit of dry fire practice goes a long way. After dry fire practice, if you are still off the paper at short range (like others have suggested), you probably should consider trading in the Sigma. But don't give up yet!

I have a sigma, the trigger takes some getting used to but if you dry fire multiple times it will smooth right out. Good Luck.

If you can learn to shoot the Sigma accuratly, you can shoot any non MA .5 llbs trigger.

However, I understand if you have small feminine hands it will be more difficult than with big muscular man hands. But, you can master that awful Sigma trigger if you dry-fire your finger off or send lots of rounds out at slowly increasing ranges.

Knocking the gong from a rest in SA isn't that difficult. Now having to use your hands with a DAO, that is fun!!!

I can keep 10 rounds on a 24" square at 50yds, and have shot -0 on IDPA stages all with a Sigma[shocked]!!!

Definitely pull the target in closer.
Definitely spend time dry firing.
Both will help you.

It is very likely that the tough trigger on that gun (it's well known for it) is at least part of the issue. But not something that can't be overcome. It may frustrate you in the mean time though. Try running your revolver in DA at 7-10 yds and see how you do compared to Sigma (I'm assuming it's not a J-frame, but rather something with a 4"+ barrel). You may find that you just need to get used to shooting in DA.

You've got a couple of solid offers for help up above if you can take them up on it.

Last edited:

I had one. I sold it. Honestly, I spent many rounds getting the trigger to smooth out a bit but at least I was on paper to start with. I finally sold it but I could have had the trigger worked on. I would definitely get the trigger worked on. I think Greg Derr or Mike Larocca do it. I fired one that someone at my club had with trigger work. Shot much better!

Back
Top Bottom