• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If you were buying an Eotech, which one would you get?

The battery compartments in the XPS models are perpendicular to the body, which reportedly keeps the contacts from being loosened by recoil.

I have a 516.A65/1 - I really like shooting the Eotechs, and most of my stuff uses CR123s. This particular model is raised up 7mm, which does give a nice cowitness on a flattop with an fixed FSB. However, because it's up that high it does obstruct the bottom of the rear sight just a bit, at least where I've got it on the rail. Not that I'm using that rear sight much anymore....

Also, mine was shipped with a battery cover locking lever shim that was too loose, so the cover would unlatch itself under recoil. Finished the class courtesy of a piece of masking tape. Eotech sent me a new cover with the next size up shim inside of a week, on the basis of 2 emails - +1 for customer service.

The button location on the 516 is not convenient for a lefty shooter, and having the buttons behind the aluminum shield can make it difficult to tell if you've pressed anything, especially with gloves on turning it off. Not a big deal.

If I was buying another one, it would be the XPS 2-0. The differences aren't enough to make me sell the 516 just to buy an XPS, though. Unless someone reallly wanted my 516, I suppose. [wink]

I have a 517, but I don't really like it. The 7mm raised base is a bit to high for my liking. If I buy another one I'll get one without that raised base.

In case you haven't seen it yet, there's a vendor here on NES offering some discounts. And of course EOTECH is offering rebates, too:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...te-ENDS-SEPT-30?highlight=eotech+stranglehold

I bought it from them and they were a great vendor. Very fast shipping, great communication, best price I could find. [thumbsup]

Picked up a 512 because the price was right. Are CR123 batteries nice? Yup, my light uses them. However, AAs are much easier to come by (and cheaper) and it works just as well. I've heard some say CR123s are better in arctic conditions. I don't plan on winding up in arctic conditions with my AR. AAs are good enough for the night vision the military uses, they are also good enough for your AR15. I would have preferred the site with the two dots in the center instead of one.

EOTECH-XPS-2-2-Holographic-Weapon-Sight-65-MOA-ring-and-two-1-MOA-dot-Reticle-XPS2-2-Pic2.jpg

Mike

Picked up a 512 because the price was right. Are CR123 batteries nice? Yup, my light uses them. However, AAs are much easier to come by (and cheaper) and it works just as well. I've heard some say CR123s are better in arctic conditions. I don't plan on winding up in arctic conditions with my AR. AAs are good enough for the night vision the military uses, they are also good enough for your AR15. I would have preferred the site with the two dots in the center instead of one.

You should be able to get similar performance with good AA batteries. I bought some lithium AA's for my Aimpoint and the shelf life is just as good as the CR123 batteries I have and they are rated at all different temps too. I forget the exact line of battery but it's their top of the line AA's.

You should be able to get similar performance with good AA batteries. I bought some lithium AA's for my Aimpoint and the shelf life is just as good as the CR123 batteries I have and they are rated at all different temps too. I forget the exact line of battery but it's their top of the line AA's.

Yes, lithium AAs are good but they're expensive (Energizer is the only company that makes them, as far as I know).

CR123s have become quite common though obviously not as much as AAs.

Yes, lithium AAs are good but they're expensive (Energizer is the only company that makes them, as far as I know).

CR123s have become quite common though obviously not as much as AAs.

Expensive - Yes
Worth it - Definitely

As far as my Aimpoint I shouldn't have to change the battery for 7 years or something absurd like that. I am sure it would extend the life of an Eotech as well. I know from when I was researching sights a while back that's what drove me to buy an Aimpoint over an Eotech.

Has anyone ever tried the G23 3x magnifier from EOTech? What about other magnifiers?

I have an Aimpoint magnifier. It works nicely for what it is, but it has its limits. I found that for very precise shooting it made the Aimpoint dot look like a figure-8. No big deal for its intended purpose, but just something to note. For my taste, if you want the option of high quality magnification along with 1x, one of the 1-4x scopes is a much better choice. I love my Schmidt & Bender short dot, and I have also been impressed with similar products from Leupold and Nightforce.

I have had good luck with the 552 and AA batteries, which are cheap and available. It seems most guys are now buying the XPS, which I have no experience with.

I have the 552 and like the idea of AA batteries versus the CR123's. I have a couple lights that use the CR123's and they are expensive.

It's a good time to buy since EOTech is offering a $50 dollar rebate on most of the sights. The lesser expensive sights offer a $30 dollar rebate.

MPO (557.G23FTS) !!!!
http://www.eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=37&cat=2

557G23-web.jpg

Pricey (cost me more than the YHM Phantom upper it's mounted on) but excellent!

Went head to head the other day with a fellow using a red dot type scope. Even though his was at 9X and my multiplier is less than that, I was able to keep on target and shoot faster and more accurately than he could. In a 30 second race at 100 yards on two target frames, on 1/3 man size "bottle" targets (simulating 200 yards or so), my shots were 27-28 on target (out of 30), while his were a mere 18-20 or so.

With a telescope style sight, you have to have your eye in the middle of the optics. With the eOTech, if you can see the dot, that's where the bullet will hit, regardless of where your eye is in relationship to the back of the sight. Now, granted, the multiplier acts somewhat as a scope type device. But it seems to take out some of the parallax issues from the equation.

If I could afford another one, I'd sell off the 512 I have on the other AR, and replace it with another MPO.

MPO (557.G23FTS) !!!!
http://www.eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=37&cat=2

557G23-web.jpg

Pricey (cost me more than the YHM Phantom upper it's mounted on) but excellent!

Went head to head the other day with a fellow using a red dot type scope. Even though his was at 9X and my multiplier is less than that, I was able to keep on target and shoot faster and more accurately than he could. In a 30 second race at 100 yards on two target frames, on 1/3 man size "bottle" targets (simulating 200 yards or so), my shots were 27-28 on target (out of 30), while his were a mere 18-20 or so.

With a telescope style sight, you have to have your eye in the middle of the optics. With the eOTech, if you can see the dot, that's where the bullet will hit, regardless of where your eye is in relationship to the back of the sight. Now, granted, the multiplier acts somewhat as a scope type device. But it seems to take out some of the parallax issues from the equation.

If I could afford another one, I'd sell off the 512 I have on the other AR, and replace it with another MPO.

That is nice and all but I already have an ACOG and that's out of my price range.

I'll be getting an XPS2-0. The price is right and I like the small size.

I just got my EXPS3-2 from the members group buy.

When I first turned it on and looked through it, I thought "oh no, this thing is blurry". Then I put my glasses on. (I'm about -1.75 in each eye, so I don't usually have my glasses on unless I'm driving, playing sports, etc.) Nice clear circle and two clearly visible dots.

Seriously nice optics. I can't wait to try it out.

Paul,

how do you like the xps2.0? i recently purchased an ar and now, of course, i need to get a good optic.

my use would be essentially for plinking... but definitely want a red dot.

Paul,

how do you like the xps2.0? i recently purchased an ar and now, of course, i need to get a good optic.

my use would be essentially for plinking... but definitely want a red dot.

So far, it's great. It's very quick to aim and I really like the donut and dot reticle.

Cuda444 - "I have an XPS model and sold a 512 to get it. The XPS is the way to go just in terms of overall size and weight."
I did the same thing, XPS 2-2 to be exact. It has the two 1MOA dots stacked. The group buy from Excile Machine was the way to go.

smitty

Cuda444 - "I have an XPS model and sold a 512 to get it. The XPS is the way to go just in terms of overall size and weight."
I did the same thing, XPS 2-2 to be exact. It has the two 1MOA dots stacked. The group buy from Excile Machine was the way to go.

smitty

Smitty, did you get the GG&G mount yet?

PaulD - No, I haven't purchased the GG&G mount yet. I think in late Jan. I will order one. Right now my free cash is going towards holiday gifts not toys for me.

I was told that the item would ship out to me on 2 Dec. I can't wait to try it on the FS2000. Like you, I think that the Troy micro BUIS are great.

smitty

Back
Top Bottom