• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IFAK. What am I missing?

frenchman

NES Member
Okay, so here goes:
4" israeli
2 Hyfin vented chest seals
1 set decompression needles.
1 Pack of Quickclot 2"x12" gauze strips
1 Nasopharyngeal
1 EMT shears
2 chem lights (1 red, 1 green)
1 CAT gen7
2 pair nitrile gloves

I have some training with all of the above, and was about to get more, but the class (from a top notch instructor) was civis canceled. I know I still need tape and a few dressings. Suggestions are appreciated.

If you have the room, double-up on the tourniquets. Hell, lash a second to the ifak if you have too.

When things go bad... they GO REAL BAD.

I like a RATS GEN2 as a second. Good for thick legs...

Last edited:
Re-hydration salt packs
2x small foil packs of emergency water (about the size of a hot cocoa packet, slim and flat)
Pain pills
Eye drops
Bleed stop single use powder packs
3M Steri Strips

Last edited:
Remember in Bill's class he recommended tampons for stopping the bleed?

Please tell me you’re joking.

if you don’t know how to properly place the decomp needles or use something someone is suggesting, stay the fvck away from it. You’ll cause more problems.

Build your IFAK to suit your skill set

Run of the mill kitchen plastic wrap. Works wonders on a sucking chest wound. Other than that, training.

Apparently you’ve never used Saran Wrap before? lol I can’t even get it to stay straight when I’m sober and it’s coming out of the box. Never mind trying to unball a handful of it from an IFAK all wrinkled up with blood all over your hands.

Apparently you have never dealt with a sucking chest wound. There is usually very little blood with a lot of bubbles, and someone unable to breath If you have a lot of blood and lung damage, you are dealing with some far and beyond a sucking chest wound. Just take the Saran Wrap, fold it onto a 2x2, and store it just like that. No need to unfold it. The wound won’t be large. Just put it over the red bubbly hole and make a huge difference in a persons ability to breath.

Apparently you have never dealt with a sucking chest wound. There is usually very little blood with a lot of bubbles, and someone unable to breath If you have a lot of blood and lung damage, you are dealing with some far and beyond a sucking chest wound. Just take the Saran Wrap, fold it onto a 2x2, and store it just like that. No need to unfold it. The wound won’t be large. Just put it over the red bubbly hole and make a huge difference in a persons ability to breath.
Wouldn't two 2x2's be best? Sometimes 2 red, bubbly holes on a through and through...

I have not, it’s 2020 though and they make chest seals now for IFAKS, which the OP already has 2 of.

I was talking about (actually joking about, in case my humor went over your head) Saran Wrap being a MF to even use without it sticking to itself and driving you crazy.

Okay, so here goes:
4" israeli
2 Hyfin vented chest seals
1 set decompression needles.
1 Pack of Quickclot 2"x12" gauze strips
1 Nasopharyngeal
1 EMT shears
2 chem lights (1 red, 1 green)
1 CAT gen7
2 pair nitrile gloves

I have some training with all of the above, and was about to get more, but the class (from a top notch instructor) was civis canceled. I know I still need tape and a few dressings. Suggestions are appreciated.

1 Nasopharyngeal scares me a little. Do you mean an assortment kit or a single trumpet?
One size does not fit all...

Definitely Some fitting required...
1586924146256.png

Note: My knowledge in their use is purely academic, and I've never applied one.

Thought you might enjoy this one Frenchman...

And then there's George...

Last edited:
H&H Compressed Gauze
Eye Shield
NAR Triangular Bandage
Compact Hypothermia Rescue Blanket

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom