• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Illinois Democrats Pushing Fingerprints, Increased Fees for Gun Owners

Reptile

NES Member
Illinois House Democrats are pushing fingerprint requirements and increased fees for the Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) cards that state residents must acquire in order to purchase/possess firearms.

The state House passed the legislation, House Bill 1091, Saturday afternoon, the State Journal-Register noted.

HB 1091 would require to FOID card applicants to submit fingerprints along with their application and would require current card holders to submit fingerprints when they renew their card.

Democrat state Rep. Maura Hirschauer painted the bill as a pursuit of “safety,” but Republican state Rep. Tony McCombie countered, saying, “This is not…about public safety. It’s just another gun grab in Illinois.”

Breitbart News spoke with state Sen. Chapin Rose (R) about the bill. “Law abiding citizens should not be treated like criminals, and that’s exactly what the Democrats are doing by making them get fingerprinted to exercise their Second Amendment rights,” Rose said.

“If Democrats are going to make people who aren’t criminals to get fingerprinted, as if they were criminals, where does this end? Will law-abiding citizens have to get fingerprinted to exercise their other constitutional rights?” he added

HB 1091 also quadruples the fees for a FOID card, raising them from $10 for ten years to $20 for 5 years, Rose explained.

Moreover, HB 1091 would require background checks for all private gun sales. Such checks would create a defacto universal background check system in Illinois, the Pantagraph reported.

You’d think they have a lot more important things to work on but hey, what the hell do I know.
Unfortunately its a one horse races and the dems are going to beat the living $hit out of that poor horse until it falls dead. Besides helping folks does not get you re-elected....its the media that that you back in the corner office so why help anyone.

If they agree to the same standard for voting. Even then, no.

Last edited:
IL resident (and former MA resident) here ... the so-called "Fix the FOID" is the foul turd in the punch bowl. Stopping this bill is about stopping creeping incrementalism of the progressive left. For the record, after passing in the IL house, it was called back to the house last night for further review. The legislative session ends today (Mon 5/31/2021), so if the bill doesn't get released to the Senate, and if the Senate does not vote on it today, the bill dies. As. It. Should. Also see the "Brown" case here in IL which seeks to invalidate the entire FOID program. This one is almost certainly headed to the IL Supreme Court.

The Fix the FOID bill was first proposed after a workplace shooting a couple years ago which happened in Aurora, IL, a suburb of Chicago.
The shooter had his FOID invalidated when his application for CCL was denied. State police, who run the FOID program, never sent a team to his house to pick up his weapons, ammo, etc. Said person got fired from his warehouse job, got pissed off, and shot-up his former workplace.

Those like me ardently oppose "Fix the FOID" because all it does is increase bureaucracy for those who can least afford roadblocks.

Last edited:
That extra $30 for ten years of FOID card is going to resolve Illinois' huge deficit and underfunded public pension liability [rolleyes]
For the record, fees collected for the FOID are by law specifically ear-marked to pay for administration of the FOID system. By law they cannot be used to cover the unfunded pension mandate. The solution of course is to get rid of the graft that is the IL pension system, but so long as the foul corrupt commie progressive democrats run the state, that will never happen.

Moreover, HB 1091 would require background checks for all private gun sales. Such checks would create a defacto universal background check system in Illinois, the Pantagraph reported.

This is already the law in Illinois -- under 430 ILCS 65/3(a-10), private sales require the seller to use the state website to confirm the buyer's FOID is valid. Not quite as egregious a violation as Massachusett's E-FA10, but still a "defacto universal background check system"

Another liberal "Maura"? Why am I so surprised? I had to put up with FOID bullshit for many years. Interesting, though, the Illinois State Police are only interested in convictions, rather than arrests alone. Massachusetts demands that you account for all bullshit arrests and false arrests as well! Question 10. I believe?

The fingerprint thing NEEDS to be applied to voting also. With dems saying fingerprinting for the RIGHT to own firearms isn't an infringement, they shouldn't have any objection for fingerprinting to vote.

This bullshit continues, I will apply some EasyOff oven cleaner to each of my fingertips. Should play hell with the fingerprinting process!

All,

The bill to mandate fingerprinting (HB1091) died - it passed the IL house but on a procedural call was held back and never sent to the IL Senate. That said, the feckless moronic bastards in the IL legislature did pass HB0562 which purports to "streamline" the FOID system, makes 'printing optional, but ... BANS all private firearms transfers. All transfers now require a background check, and those parties conducting the check must retain records for ten (10) years, even if they are not a direct party to the transfer. Oh, and by law, those retaining the records cannot charge more than $25 for the record retention I'm still learning about HB0562 and what other nasty crap got buried inside. If I learn anything, and if anyone's interested, I can post an update.

All,

The bill to mandate fingerprinting (HB1091) died - it passed the IL house but on a procedural call was held back and never sent to the IL Senate. That said, the feckless moronic bastards in the IL legislature did pass HB0562 which purports to "streamline" the FOID system, makes 'printing optional, but ... BANS all private firearms transfers. All transfers now require a background check, and those parties conducting the check must retain records for ten (10) years, even if they are not a direct party to the transfer. Oh, and by law, those retaining the records cannot charge more than $25 for the record retention I'm still learning about HB0562 and what other nasty crap got buried inside. If I learn anything, and if anyone's interested, I can post an update. Because this bill is anti civil liberty, it is sure to be signed by the Governor.

All,
Not only did the IL mandatory fingerprinting bill die (bill HB1091, aka Fix the FOID), bill HB0562 also did not pass. Both of these are Good Things. The bad news is that nothing has changed. FOIDs which must be issued in 30 days are still taking many months, with renewals taking longer. And don't get me started on the delays with the IL CCL ...
The fight continues.

Back
Top Bottom