• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I'm a'scared...need help

Ok, so I just got a new truck. Well, new to me. And I don't want to destroy the paint with a mag mount antenna. SO, I'm thinking of getting something a little more "there."

The thing is, I don't know how to run the cable, how to mount the antenna, or how to install the radio that I've had for over a year and never put into my Jeep.

I would like some sort of mount that maybe connects to one of the holes aready in the rails of th bed? Easy removal of the antenna, but not the base so I can go through a car wash or something. I have a feeling that I'm going to need to run the cable through the truck door as I don't want to cut a hole into the truck.

I do have a cool little compartment under the middle front seat of the truck...so I can put the base in there and then run the head somewhere were I can see it. And if I needed, which I know is a no-no, there's a power outlet in that same compartment.

Anyway, if there's someone that more knowledgeable about this than I, I would love some ideas/help getting this into my Truck.

IMG00136-20110515-1600.jpg

Go with the mag mount. As long as the base and surface of the truck are clean ( and you don't slide it around) it will not leave any marks.
If your not sure about mounting it, I'm sure a good radio or stearo shop can mount it and hook up everything for you.
The top center of the roof would be your best spot for the antenna.

Dan Long
Boston, MA

Mag mount will work but nothing can beat the performance of a permanent mounted antenna. I don't know what type of radio your using but if your transmitting be careful how much output you run through a mag mount. What type of radio are you talking about and I can give you some better advice. I have a 2008 GMC regular cab pick up and I run HF through UHF. My antennas are clamp mount grounded with 3/4inch copper strap. I'll post a photo if your running similar frequencies.

I guess that you didn't read the part about not wanting to cut into the truck. LOL!

Put a "back rack" on the truck and mag mount to that. I did it and it got out fine.

Actually, I was thinking about that... I have a friend that's going to give me a tool box. So maybe I can find a way to mount into that.

I saw this when I was trolling other fourms, and this is kinda what I'm thinking. But it seems that this guy custom made these.

8531d1112463409-2001-tundra-ham-radio-installation-antenna.jpg

I guess that you didn't read the part about not wanting to cut into the truck. LOL!

The sooner you get over that phobia the better. The post hole thing, however, will work great if you can get it to ground well.

-Mike

Go with the mag mount. As long as the base and surface of the truck are clean ( and you don't slide it around) it will not leave any marks.

That works great until temperature and mother nature does her thing. You will have condensate under the magnet every morning, screwing up performance and possibly eating the magnet or the car. Mag mounts suck serious ass in the winter.

Having run mag mounts for many years, they are pretty much the worst option outside of garbage like through-glass mounts, etc.

-Mike

The sooner you get over that phobia the better. The post hole thing, however, will work great if you can get it to ground well.

-Mike

I'm sure, but I just have something about putting a hole in a car...don't know why...but I don't. If I can do it without having to drill holes, and use holes and such that are already on the car, then I would like to. I guess there's a gromet that goes through the cab between the bed and the back that goes into the carpet under the seat. If I can find that, and route the wire that way, I'd be happy. No holes..then ground the antenna in the side rail...and be fine.

Mag mount will work but nothing can beat the performance of a permanent mounted antenna. I don't know what type of radio your using but if your transmitting be careful how much output you run through a mag mount. What type of radio are you talking about and I can give you some better advice. I have a 2008 GMC regular cab pick up and I run HF through UHF. My antennas are clamp mount grounded with 3/4inch copper strap. I'll post a photo if your running similar frequencies.

Sorry, this is a FT-8800 that I have. So I'm only doing UHF/VHF. I won't have any HF running in the car.

I use a stake bed mount (home made) for the scanner antenna on my Tundra, but a mag mount for the dual band. I think you'll lose a bit with a stake mount, depending on what antenna you use. Something like this with one leg cut down to fit in the stake hole. I used a 3/8" NMO mount, which you should be able to find at a ham flea market or on line. I had the advantage of having access to a Nutsert tool, so I was able to stake a nut onto the long arm and bolt through a hold in the bed. If you measure carefully, the mount will sit just low enough so that the stake hole cover will fit on when the antenna is mounted. There is a picture here of how the antenna looked on my first Tundra. Note that in that picture, I cut a whole in the cover for the antenna, but decided not to use it that way.

Oh, if you do decide to drill into the cab, PM me. I have an antenna hole saw that will allow you to drill through the roof without going through the headliner. If you go that route it's easy to run the cable down the rear pillar and then under the carpet along the driver's side. At least it is in the earlier Tundras. If you decide to go with the stake hole mount, you don't even need to drill holes. Again, at least on the older Tundras. You can run the cable in through a grommet that's in the rear of the cab.

Check your proposed cable route before you start so you don't run in to any surprises.

Last edited:
hood mount?
ss-184a.jpg

"When the hood is open, the fender bolt near the firewall is removed (right or left side) and later reused to bolt the antenna bracket to the under-hood fender lip. All mounting hardware is invisible unless the hood is open. Additional stainless steel sheet metal screws are supplied if additional strength is determined to be needed. The bracket has a pre-determined bend and does not interfere with the closing of the hood."

-looks easy enough to make if you can get some stainless plate (i had good luck with a random local welding outfit)

Good luck with the Toyota, nice ride. -they run forever but keep the underside/frame clean and coated.

Also, if you want to go to the bed, i'm surprised your don't have existing access holes in the back of the cab to get a wire out there. Maybe go thru the firewall with an 18 footer, run it down the frame rail and out. You could use a rubber plug like this to cover the hole you have to drill in the bed floor.

:)

I'm sure, but I just have something about putting a hole in a car...don't know why...but I don't. If I can do it without having to drill holes, and use holes and such that are already on the car, then I would like to. I guess there's a gromet that goes through the cab between the bed and the back that goes into the carpet under the seat. If I can find that, and route the wire that way, I'd be happy. No holes..then ground the antenna in the side rail...and be fine.

As Mike says, you need to get over your fear of the drill, this is not dentistry.
Nothing will out perform an NMO mount, especially at VHF/UHF frequencies.
You need the horizontal sheet metal of the roof to form a proper ground plane.
Every other option is simply a compromise.
The toughest part is pulling the headliner, but it's not brain surgery either.
I have done over 100 NMO installations in my life, mostly on trucks, and it's nothing to be scared of. I have no problem drilling holes in brand new vehicles, in fact I'll be doing a full UHF radio/antenna install on a brand new $270K International Lone Star this weekend.
It's not going to kill your resale value one bit. When you sell it, take the antennas off and put on a rain cap. They come in black or chrome. Most people never see them anyway because the roof is above eye level.
I actually recommend that you put up two or three to plan ahead for future expansion.
Most of the labor is in the R&R of the headliner. I like to do it only once.

You're a Ham, you like radios, right?
So for now you're into 2M/440, but what about 6M, 900, 220 or maybe adding a scanner later?
When you get the itch to try something else, do you really want to pull the headliner again?

So glad to see you bought other than Dodge. Couldn't tell on BlackBerry and didn't want to berate you until confirmed.[wink]

Drill it and you'll never look back. Seriously. It'll be on the roof out of site anyway.

Drill it and you'll never look back. Seriously. It'll be on the roof out of site anyway.

So, there ya' go Chris, it's settled.
You're drilling three holes and installing three NMO's.
I prefer the 3/8" type, they're stronger for taller antennas.
The only real advantage to the 3/4" is that you can feed it in from the top.
That's a moot point when you pull the headliner.

So, there ya' go Chris, it's settled.
You're drilling three holes and installing three NMO's.
I prefer the 3/8" type, they're stronger for taller antennas.
The only real advantage to the 3/4" is that you can feed it in from the top.
That's a moot point when you pull the headliner.

SO, are you saying that you're going to help me do that if I do? LOL!

Done properly a nmo mount through the sheet metal of your roof shouldn't cause you any grief. It is the best place to put an antenna on a pickup truck. And honestly, I think it looks better than any other arrangement. I used to get comments about my signal from locations others had trouble working repeaters from. If for whatever reason you need to sell the truck or just want the antenna off there are rubber plugs for the holes. Most pickup trucks are tall enough so that you wont even see the plug unless you're looking for it. I've driven pickups mostly and use a roof mounted mag mount now because I don't have a radio in the truck all the time. I drilled for antennas on trucks I used to have, one of them brand new. There really isn't much two meter activity on my part of the Cape so I use the mag mount when I travel.

Done properly a nmo mount through the sheet metal of your roof shouldn't cause you any grief. It is the best place to put an antenna on a pickup truck. And honestly, I think it looks better than any other arrangement.

This

It may be time to start a new thread.

NMO Party [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom