I'm so psyched!

Hi all,

When I got my ticket over a year ago I did it for two reasons:
1) Communication when SHTF. This was right after the ice storm.
2) So that I could talk with my dad who is spending his days of retirement drifting around and about the Bahamas on his boat.

When he found out I got my ticket he gave me his spare HF radio (IC706). But, I could never get the thing to work. After lots and lots of trying to get the thing to work I finally gave up on it. The thing was just dead and had lots of corrosion inside from being out at sea for many years.

So, I took the funds from the sale of the 706 and bought the Ic745 (which kicks ass for a $250 investment!) and restrung my antenna a couple weeks ago. I spent some time tweaking it up, got some DX, and finally felt like I was getting it right! Over the past week I've been checking into the Maritime Mobile net on 14.300 and tonight I finally connected my Dad.

So, it took a year (primarily because I fought with that damn 706 for so long thinking the problem had to be me!) but I finally did it! This is very cool being able to talk around the world and specifically its great to be able to chat with Dad.

That is all.

ps. Here's Dad's boat. The backstay is his antenna:
IMG_2278.jpg

...and you've given your dad 3 nice gifts: Connection with family. A show that he's worth effort on your part. Another reason to brag about his son.

Ah, that's a very low draft for a boat that size. Is it a swing keel? I've never been down there and sailed but my understanding is a shallow draft is almost a necesssity.

Ah, that's a very low draft for a boat that size. Is it a swing keel? I've never been down there and sailed but my understanding is a shallow draft is almost a necesssity.

No, not a swing. The thing sails like a pig and won't point for shit. He pretty much runs it as a motor-sailor. It's comfortable to hang out on though...

Back
Top Bottom