• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Image orientation

CrackPot

NES Member
I posted on the classifieds an ad with 3 images. Two were landscape orientation and the third portrait. The application rotated the portrait image and made it landscape. All three are now landscape which of course means the one that was portrait is 90degrees off. I could find no way to stop it from doing this when I uploaded images.

Attached here
image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg

The third image above is clearly portrait as that is how it was both taken and verified in preview, its thumbnail on my computer, etc. When it gets updated through the "upload a file" mechanism, it gets rotated.

The forum reads the EXIF data embedded into the file and decides how to rotate it from there... some phones have issues having this properly and/or don't update it if you change it on the phone itself after the fact.

If you use something like this : EXIF Data Viewer to check the original files, you'll presumably see a different value for the rotation on the three pictures.

Yes they were taken on the iphone. Going into any tool that allows you to rotate and rotating left (or right) and back again results in image3 4.01.27 PM.jpeg correct orientation. I have never had this problem before with iphone pictures on other SW. Interesting...

I have the same problem with iPhone pictures. Poking around online it sounds like the Apple OS does (or did) some funky stuff with the exif data.

Yes they were taken on the iphone. Going into any tool that allows you to rotate and rotating left (or right) and back again results inView attachment 218404 correct orientation. I have never had this problem before with iphone pictures on other SW. Interesting...

Try uploading the original (or another) if you can - I made a couple of changes that worked to fix it for others.

Awesome. Apparently the EXIF data was getting stripped during the hand-off from the upload process to the image handler and back.

Back
Top Bottom